Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2013, 00:24   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Sexist views...

I think I can safely say that I was not hired at the chandlery because I looked good.

Coops.
Old 25-10-2013, 03:30   #197
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I just had a typical trip to Home Depot. Except for a nice checker as I walked in the door, not a single worker asked if they could help me or even looked me in the eye. Frankly I don't want their "help" when I'm on a scouting mission.
Yep, usually the " help " is virtually useless. I was in a big box store in the UK and looking for a roof rack. The guy said " nope don't sell em" then I noticed we were both standing at the shelve that has a stock of them !

dave
Old 25-10-2013, 06:09   #198
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leliu5th View Post
If women had to rely on or wait for a man to do anything, it wouldn't get done! More than my 2cents~
They say a woman's work is never done. Maybe that's why they get paid less.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 18:05   #199

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I just had a typical trip to Home Depot. Except for a nice checker as I walked in the door, not a single worker asked if they could help me or even looked me in the eye. Frankly I don't want their "help" when I'm on a scouting mission.
I went to mine yesterday and as I was perusing I was asked if I needed help......in three different areas.

One female and two males - apparently anyway. But these days who really knows eh?
Old 28-10-2013, 10:39   #200

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I went to mine yesterday and as I was perusing I was asked if I needed help......in three different areas.

One female and two males - apparently anyway. But these days who really knows eh?
I guess it depends on the Homer store. I went to a different location this weekend and got good service without annoying incompetence. One guy asked if I could tell him later how my project turned out so he could advise others better.
Old 06-12-2013, 13:58   #201

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Where is sexism most extreme? What country or area? Of course I've encountered it here in North America lots, but never like in Spain. There I've had marinas ignore my radio calls, but pick up first thing when hubby calls; I've been totally ignored until explaining the 'captain' sent me to ask; I've had officials answer my question by speaking and looking directly at my husband. I don't take offence; it's funny enough until you really need something and you're obviously not going to get it. On the flip side, the chandleries don't give me any grief at all--just assume I know what I'm asking about. Also, when graft is involved I am never approached--that always goes to the 'man'. Interesting to observe.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 09:30   #202

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: Sexist Views...

We don’t realize how blessed we are to live in the US and Canada. Don’t get me wrong there is still plenty of that in the Canada/US but not as accepted/open as our laws and society to not allow or at least limit.

You can train your voice to have a different pitch. My natural voice is now a higher pitch, so I have to think/work at getting down to my male lower pitch. So you might want to practice changing your voice, when needed.

Most of us bi/trans genders have a male and female name.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 10:51   #203

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
Funny. Our female doctors can be working side by side with male nurses and patients often call the male nurses "Dr." Diverdude is a nurse, he gets called doctor a lot, too. We all assign subconscious roles, I guess. On a side note, DD was showing me the dremel attachments and how the attachments work. After about my third comment on his use of certain words like "shaft", etc, I was informed that I had no right to complain about sexism. Ever. And he walked away. Lol.

The problem is that nurses and doctors all wear the same thing these days. It was much easier when nurses wore specific uniforms identifying their role whether it be a man or woman.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 12:49   #204

Boat: Skookum 53'

As far as Doctors and nurses go, I call them all "Sweety" regardless of gender, seems to help with the morphine supply.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:08   #205

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31

Sexism flourishes in many countries, the worst I have experienced was in Turkey. As a woman you either get ignored or threatened if you insist on being taken seriously. After I have become a solo sailor I find other male boatowners take offence if I ask them how many meters of chain they have out when they anchor too close. The same if their anchor crosses my chain and I politely tell them so and ask them kindly to move. They would never have questioned my late husbands judgement. In Greece I have difficulty getting served at all in a restaurant but thats another story.
Aquarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31   #206

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I stay away from many "ultra religious" countries; many third-world countries, whose religions intertwine with their politics and treat women as second class citizens. My travels concentrate on water adventures/sports. I am not interested in visiting museums, cities or getting to know the locals. By taking that approach, I concentrate on what I mostly enjoy doing.

If you become selective about your choices during your travels, you can minimize rif-raf and the aggravation that comes with it. Have fun!

Mauritz
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
I stay away from many "ultra religious" countries; many third-world countries, whose religions intertwine with their politics and treat women as second class citizens. My travels concentrate on water adventures/sports. I am not interested in visiting museums, cities or getting to know the locals. By taking that approach, I concentrate on what I mostly enjoy doing.

If you become selective about your choices during your travels, you can minimize rif-raf and the aggravation that comes with it. Have fun!

Mauritz
Then you stay away from almost all countries?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 13:31   #208

As a statuesque Italian blonde with a pair of very firm large D cups, my ex-wife loved sexism. She would cup them and say, "With these, I can rule the world!"

When we went to a bar, she went up to get the drinks, because the bartenders would ask her what she wanted to drink while she was still 5 ft from the bar, as opposed to me standing there for 5 minutes unable to get his attention. She was unaware that doors didn't get opened for everyone, everywhere they go. I'd let her handle the maitre d', or the concierge, desk clerk, valet, travel agent, everyone - because she invariably got special treatment.

We routinely got free hotel room upgrades, free perks at resorts, discounts on a lot of stuff - it was like being a celebrity without all of the paparazzi hassle. She would be the last one to want to mix up a batch of resin or epoxy, she'd let some hopeful guy do the job for her, hoping to get lucky. If she needed car repairs, the mechanic would offer to do the job on the side for her for half price.

She has vacationed in just about every great place there is, scuba dives in a lot of exotic locales, snow skis everywhere, and she has a large group of "friends" who take her to all of these places at their expense, in exchange for her "company".

We're no longer married, I don't tolerate that sort of arrangement, but it gave me a glimpse into a different world, where people don't do anything for themselves, everyone is always offering to do it for them not because they think they are incapable but because they just want to be in her life, for a chance to score. She never complained about the attention, she took it at face value and used it to her advantage.

Reminds me of the photo of a bunch of ugly women protesting sexism outside of a Hooters Restaurant, meanwhile the well developed ladies inside are making killer tips!

There are all kinds of isms. As I've gotten older and heavier, I'm starting to experience ageism and fatism. Believe me, everyone - especially women - are superficial. I remember back when I was 18 or 19 a buddy and I hung out together. We would meet women everywhere - the beach, grocery stores, parking lots, basically anywhere - and they always struck up the conversation.

I'm not bragging, just pointing out that the world is full of isms, and some of them are programmed into us at the biological level. 10% of the population gets attention from the other 90% due to their attractiveness. Even babies gravitate towards better looking people, and they're too young to have been affected by societal norms.

As an old white man, I can tell you from experience that stereotypes came about because they are true more often than not. That's how they started, that's how they get perpetuated. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, that's why there are Bell curves, 80% of any given group falls within the center of the curve. Stand next to a tourist bus disgorging Japanese tourists some day, and count how many of them are NOT taking pictures! LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:20   #209

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31
Thumbs down Re: Sexist views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leliu5th View Post
If women had to rely on or wait for a man to do anything, it wouldn't get done! More than my 2cents~
Not cool! Sexism cuts both ways.
tonysail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:45   #210
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
We don’t realize how blessed we are to live in the US and Canada. Don’t get me wrong there is still plenty of that in the Canada/US but not as accepted/open as our laws and society to not allow or at least limit.
So correct me if Im wrong. The fact that laws exist to "not allow or limit", really means sexism is alive and well and is just suppressed? Take away the restrictions and civilised countries become the same the world over. Saddens me to think we need constraints on every level and cant be nice without them.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote