Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 14:32   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
One sailor told me: whatever you do, don't go sailing with an American woman ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 14:37   #47
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
I take offense at that - what was he implying?!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 15:04   #48

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
don't take offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
I take offense at that - what was he implying?!

Margo
Margo
don't take offence,
who care ?

this peoples who give such statement are limiting themself and their horizon, so they are not worth your time and energy to even reply to such a comment..
you go your own boat now anyway ..
Old 10-04-2010, 15:14   #49
Eternal Member

I was mostly joking about the "offense" part. Mostly I'm curious what kinds of prejudices are out there about "American" women (I presume this means USA, not central, south, etc.).
And it's true, I live on my own boat now, but I still hope to find a "mate" to share it with me. I'd hate to think men are disregarding American women out of hand.
So, Jedi, what's the story?

Margo

Old 10-04-2010, 20:02   #50

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Pajamas parties and pillow fights..why? what do you guys do behind closed doors?

Frankly, I do the same things hanging out with my sailor girl friends that I do with my sailor guy friends...talk boats, anchors, destinations, favorite knots, provisioning tricks, wood care, compass corrections, and then there is sanitation projects...that can go all night.
Gee, I have never quoted myself before, never a good sign. I just wanted to say that I did not intend any offense with the pillow fights and pajamas party crack, some great insight has been put forth by the guys and I did not intend to disregard those comments.
Humbly yours,
Erika
Old 10-04-2010, 20:38   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The guy (he was Canadian) meant that they are spoiled and will start complaining when further than 100 yards from a mall and hairdresser. I think those were his exact words.

I am Dutch and just listening and observing and I know stereotypes are just that.... but I see examples of what he means... or what I think he means. We come across many US boats where it's the guy who wants it and the lady really doesn't... she wouldn't know how to steer the boat, let alone run the watermaker etc. It's a time bomb ticking away.

I don't agree with him in general because I know a bunch of American ladies who are the driving force behind the boat and cruising, with the husband just hanging on to keep the piece, but I do agree with him that examples of both wanting it are more abundant for other nationalities. I also think I know the reason: there's more men in the US getting enough money and they talk their wife into it, while for other countries it's a much smaller number that go for this life and then mostly when both want it (both been sailing since kids) etc. There's some proof too: here in the Caribbean there are scores of boats that have a girl from Colombia or Venezuela aboard to replace the wife.... and they all fly the US ensign.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-04-2010, 20:45   #52

Boat: Pearson 281
- - SSCA holds a master GAM(their name for convention/meeting) each year in eastern Florida. Lots of seminars and presentations from experienced cruisers aimed at folks wanting to know what this life is all about. About a decade ago they started a "closed door" seminar for women living the cruising life and those wanting to know "the distaff" side of the life style. After a few years the seminar was packed with women - then - some men started sneaking into it to see what was so interesting that all the women wanted to be in there. The next year attendance was 1/4 of the previous years and the subjects lame and benign as women did not feel comfortable "opening up" in front of an audience of men. - - IMHO - Same here.[/QUOTE FROM ORSISSAIL]

A friend of mine invited me to a women's sailing conference this year.
I knew that men were allowed and that nobody was going to keep me out but in spite of my curiosity regarding the pillowfight (scheduled for the second day)and about the latest in flannel pj's I begged off because my curiosity was not what the event was about and I felt like the fewer men there the better with 0 men being optimal for those women who are tired of the testosterone mixed in their learning curve. We already have enough of our own stuff anyway.
I also knew however, that I would miss Capt. Holly Scott showing how to take apart a diesel or mange head repair . Always funny and really helpful (I'm a fan!).
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12   #53
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
here in the Caribbean there are scores of boats that have a girl from Colombia or Venezuela aboard to replace the wife.... and they all fly the US ensign.
Now there's a plan

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:13   #54
CLOD

Boat: none
Far as the comments about america women, malls, hair dresser, short nails; guess this was my point at the start. Sailing women are not as needy and have less "issues".
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:32   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Well, been trying to resist but now have to chime in.

Sure plenty of women have issues (of all manners and varieties) sailing but have seen plenty of men as well. Interestingly, I have recently met two couples where the wife is pushing to get a sailboat and head off while the husband is holding back.

In my case the wife has problems with blue water cruising but they are legitimate concerns. We did liveaboard and spend about a year cruising the Caribbean only to discover that she has a motion sickness problem. As long as the weather is moderate she's ok but if it gets a bit bumpy she turns green. The other problem is she grew up in Florida back before sunscreen and as a result has to see a dermatologist at least yearly to watch out for skin cancer.

We have discussed ways to deal with both and hope we can go cruising again in a couple of years.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37   #56
Eternal Member

Oh those girls

Quote:
here in the Caribbean there are scores of boats that have a girl from Colombia or Venezuela aboard to replace the wife.... and they all fly the US ensign.
ciao!
Nick.
Nick,

I think the this is proof of something entirely different - men trading down, er up 'scuse me, and foreign "girls" wanting to escape and go american.

And don't even get me started on "girls" vs women.

Cheers, Margo

Old 11-04-2010, 09:28   #57

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Minor medical problems like motion sickness will either abate after a few years actively cruising or you can use various medications. Same with using sunscreen lotions or protective clothing. These are not large issues unless they are being used as excuses to cover deeper issues.
- - Vz or Columbian or Dominican Republic women on a cruising boat don't have issues, they has inspiration to do good work and be compatible. They "really" have a stronger realization that "a bad day on a cruising sailboat is much better than a good day back on land" in their home country.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:04   #58

Boat: Currently boatless
I personally don't like the idea of a woman only forum anymore than a man only forum.

I can see "woman afloat/hersailnet" where woman's topics are encouraged because I think there is less coverage of woman's issues (or at least there used to be less...not sure if there is anymore really) in sailing mags and publications and so it is a place to swap tips that might be useful and to encourage a sailing minority to sail.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:10   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
I think the this is proof of something entirely different - men trading down, er up 'scuse me, and foreign "girls" wanting to escape and go american.
Yes of course the girls want to escape, but it isn't really the men trading up/down but the wife leaving after many fights about "that bloody boat and bad passages". Whole anchorages "witness" those fights...

Quote:
And don't even get me started on "girls" vs women.
They are girls and very young women (think 16 to 24 year old). There's agents who will line them up to pick one, contracts and everything. I can assure you that they don't want to go American at all, most would prefer something else 1st world (Americans are not particularly favored in countries like Venezuela). No, the reason that they are (mostly) American men is that they are the ones in need to hire ;-)

What it all comes down to is this: both must want to go cruising or it won't work.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21   #60

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
. . . What it all comes down to is this: both must want to go cruising or it won't work.
cheers,
Nick.
Truer words were never said . . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote