Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2024, 13:58   #1

Boat: 1989 Macgregor 26D
First multiday cruise with young family

Hello all,

We're preparing for our second season of sailing in our 27' trailer sailer. We've had a lot of fun weekends, and we're planning a five day cruise for the summer. I want to make this as enjoyable as possible for my eight and eleven year old, anyone have any good tips for keeping the kids engaged and entertained? We had a handful of overnight trips last summer where swimming and fishing kept them pretty well entertained. They may hold out for five straight days, I dunno. I'd love to hear what you all have done for your young family on first voyages!

Thanks, Tuck
trswem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 16:43   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: First multiday cruise with young family

They are going to need to burn some energy even after swimming so going places where you can get ashore for hikes, carousel rides, and perhaps have a hamburger and fries (so the cook can rest too) might help.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 17:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Have lots of games to play, and lots of books to read. My kids never got tired of having books read to them. Lived aboard for five years with 3 small ones.
Old 25-03-2024, 18:08   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Do you have a kayak or dinghy they can take out? Or could they each have their own little inflatable kayak? Or stand up paddle boards? My daughter has one and she loves to go out on her own and same with my son on his kayak. They started going on their own when they were a little younger than your kids. You can get an underwater viewer, my kids love that. Also a an underwater light that attracts fish at night is a big hit. Bring a net and a magnifying glass because you may pull up some strange small creatures too.

check here too:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...with+kids.html

Bring a ukulele and a harmonica too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green light.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	288067   Click image for larger version

Name:	underwater viewer.png
Views:	14
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	288068  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 18:11   #5
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Great suggestions all! Wow!

I was sitting here thinking I have no idea - but super ideas!

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 20:25   #6

Boat: 1989 Macgregor 26D

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
They are going to need to burn some energy even after swimming so going places where you can get ashore for hikes, carousel rides, and perhaps have a hamburger and fries (so the cook can rest too) might help.
Good call, this well help with the food planning too. Our lake is a little light on area's to go ashore and shop, but there are at least two area's I know of with guest slips and restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Have lots of games to play, and lots of books to read. My kids never got tired of having books read to them. Lived aboard for five years with 3 small ones.
Great idea. I think we'll hit our book shop on the way through town and let the kids pick out a couple books each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Do you have a kayak or dinghy they can take out? Or could they each have their own little inflatable kayak? Or stand up paddle boards? My daughter has one and she loves to go out on her own and same with my son on his kayak. They started going on their own when they were a little younger than your kids. You can get an underwater viewer, my kids love that. Also a an underwater light that attracts fish at night is a big hit. Bring a net and a magnifying glass because you may pull up some strange small creatures too.

check here too:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...with+kids.html

Bring a ukulele and a harmonica too!
We do have some tandem kayaks, one would probably be perfect to two behind! I think your recommendation for a harmonica sounds like subterfuge though, it's a very small boat, guaranteed mutiny.
trswem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 00:27   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

Trswem the daughter and I have a tradition for cooking a cake from a box mix and a loaf of bread or two. Probably hard on a trailer sailer but you could do pancakes.
We have had marathon sessions of Cluedo with our two kids and countless games of pop and move. That's a good game since the dice and counters are captive. The wife also has a box full of craft stuff and glue sticks to do some cut and paste. Then there's jigsaw puzzles that fit on the table.
We also have a range of books from the thrift shop. When our boy was young we also had a big fishing lure with no hooks (lol he never knew)that he could use for fishing while we were sailing. He spent hours watching it skip behind us.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-03-26-17-09-28-712.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	288077  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 05:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

I like to engage the kids in the processes, so they are crew, not guests.
- Age-appropriate time at the helm while underway (under the watchful eye of the Captain)
- Port/starboard lookouts
- sail trimming
- Handling the anchor
- Log keeping
- Helping with meals, prep and cleanup.
That is all done in small enough chunks that they don't feel like tedious chores, but the kids still learn some things and gain the sense of accomplishment and responsibility from participating.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 05:42   #9
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

When we were kids living on a boat we mostly entertained ourselves but we always had some compact games/toys for rainy days. A desktop croquet set with a square of green carpet was always good for an hour.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1240248...A_wRgxgPb_7gDW

Pack of cards is standard equipment or other card games.

You can get mini puzzles at the dollar store.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, family