Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-07-2015, 14:05   #1

Family of 6 circumnavigaton

Hi all,

Been a lurker for quite some time. My wife and I are seriously considering doing a circumnavigation (or something similar) with our kids. We still have to get financial things in order etc. so about 2-3 years out.

I have done an extensive amount of research so I have good some ideas but need a bit more fine tuning.

Constraints:
we have 4 kids,
Daughter-8 y.o.,
Son-7,
Son-2,
Son-8 mos.

We are mid 30's right now. The thought is to be mostly financially independent by the time we go (that will happen regardless whether we become cruisers).

Mission:
See the world. While we want to sail the equatorial waters we want to explore the WORLD, so venturing into higher latitudes is something we really want to be able to do. Places like NZ, possibly Alaska, Chile/Argentina( not sure if Cape Horn is a possibility), Japan, UK, Nordic countries, Greenland. Venturing into the S. Pacific is definitely on the list. We want to cruise for 5 years at a minimum. Financial ability to go longer may be possible though.

I would like some thoughts and advice on vessels, vessel size for my largish family. I have been researching boats, equipment (diesel heaters!) etc for some time. I have also read most of the blogs by people who have kids. Lots have 1 or 2 kids, a very few have 3. I heard about one family with 5 on a 50+ foot cat, a Simpson I believe. Anyway, I don't know of anyone else with the same mission and accommodation requirements I face. I'm sure they exist I just don't know of them.

Having a girl really means she needs a private space for herself. The boys could all bunk together for some time but even that would have to change. So I need at least 2 doubles and 2 singles, with a cat that 's not an issue. With a 40-45 ft mono that seems to be harder to find.

Here is a short list of vessels I believe would work for us and the mission. Of course the big limiter is the cost. Safety is a very large concern for us due to having small children and venturing into high latitude routes. (BTW a catamaran is my first choice but I would/am considering monos too).
(in order of reference)

Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 (We love this boat but expensive)
FP Venezia 42 Love it, should be a good size top of price range, can't refit
FP Belize 43 should be a good size top of price range, can't refit
FP Lavezzi 40 Love it, can afford, but may be too small
FP Athena 38 too small? Priced right
Nautitech 435 or 40 maybe could afford 40, but top of price range, can't refit

Amel Super Maramu 53' 200K is probably be too expensive. Love it though.
Amel Maramu or Mango.. Maybe too old? could afford but refit cost...
Hallberg Rassy 46 WAY too expensive and I don't believe the 39 would work for us.

From what I understand the Amel and HR are some great boats. Yes I'm one of the folks who loves the Amel. The Super Maramu seems like it would work very well for us, but they are really outside my comfort zone.

Totally can afford boat + refits:
Beneteau Oceanis 50
Beneteau First 47.7
Bavaria 49

I guess I keep coming up against a cost wall that would prevent me from untying the lines in the time frame we want. Our budget just won't allow for a 250K boat + refit costs. We really need to be about $150-175k with refit costs. Top end 200k with refits but that greatly reduces financial ability.
So only the 38-40' cats (Athena, Lavezzi) or a 44-50' monos are really hitting the sweet spot for my price range.

Benteaus, Bavarias, & Jeanneaus are fitting my price range and minimum accommodation needs But I have no idea as to the suitability of those boats to meet the mission parameters. And comfortable for a family of six? Storage space and tankage seem rather short on those.

Ultimately I may need to revise some part of the parameters. I really want to take my children on this trip. It's and education for them and for my wife and I. I have dreamed about doing a circumnavigation since I was a kid and read about Magellan and hearing about people sailing around the world. I remember learning about catamarans and my imagination really took off thinking about sailing one of those around the world. (Sorry guys I fell in LOVE with catamarans the first time I saw one.)

I'm really trying to get a good list of boats so we can go look at them. I only have so much time and cannot charter a whole bunch of boats just to check them out.

Maybe I am trying to go too many places, i.e. Should I revise the mission? This is a very unattractive option. I want to take my kids to see most of the world.

Are the boats I'm looking at all capable of sailing reasonably safe where we want to go? All are certified but that's not what I'm asking Would you take them on a circumnavigation?

The space differences on a mono and a cat are stark. Can we do it comfortably on a 46-50' mono? would you?
Will rolling around and heeling on a mono be hard on little kids?
What size minimum size mono would work? Ideal size?
What size minimum size cat? Ideal size?
Any other thoughts ideas or suggestions?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best regards,
Justin
Belaurora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family