Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2010, 02:49   #46
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you. You all made me realise we have the perfect dog. In a country where the locals are mainly Moslem, and mostly afraid of dogs, our gal gets off the boat, takes herself off the docks, and does her business in the same dust hole every time (for me to clean up later). The other dog goes here as well, but I have to clear up their mess too, and that does annoy me.

If there is someone else on the dock, she stops, moves to the side and waits for them to pass. If a local goes screaming in terror to their own berth, she doesn't chase. She has made friends with some of the cats; and has occasional standoffs with the others (which the cats always win).

BUT - Marc has just pointed out she doesn't often do what she is told (not true - just his perspective) and still keeps eating.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 18:42   #47
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I am sure you

walk your mutt with one of those retractable leashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
The phenomenon has a name... let me see if I can remember...

Ah yes,

Grumpy old man
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 19:20   #48

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post

Seriously, what is your point? What is the point of this thread? Are you upset that everybody doesn't join and support you in your obvious disdain of canines?

Yes, it's true that some people don't train or control their dogs. That's nothing new.
I suggest that you take a hose, connect it to the spigot, turn it on and spray the offending area once in a while. That will probably help with the smell.
But don't get pushed out of shape if people who recognize the benefit and joy of sharing their lives with a four legged companion take a little offense at the denigration of their friends.
Old 19-06-2010, 01:29   #49
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Duh, hardly!!! That would mean I'd have to walk with her every time she wants to take a dump, and why would I want to do that? Apart from the exercise involved (it must be at least two hundred metres away on account of it not being on the pontoons, and away from the boats), why would I want to watch her taking a dump?

Nope. Better that I just stroll past her patch of dust with a bag and my little bottle of hand sanitiser twice a day or more (on my way to somewhere else) to clean up.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 01:40   #50

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I used to have dogs once, but now I cannot see what purpose they serve as pets.
My pet hates involve dogs which jump up to greet me and either dirty my clothes or worse, skagg stockings. They make furniture dirty so I get dirty by sitting on it, they have to be a constant centre of attention, always whining or barking.

Worst of all is the indiscriminate fouling, and whilst there are more and more responsible dog walkers who scoop nowdays, your never far from the stench of muck.
My car wheels dont like the pee either.

I wish dog owners would have more consideration for those of us who dont go nuts for dogs
Old 19-06-2010, 01:48   #51
Armchair Bucketeer

Yer can take the Boat off the Trailer, but clearly cannot always remove the Sailor from the Trailer
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 05:24   #52

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
I'll take the companionship of a dog over that of a stuffy human snob anyday.
Old 19-06-2010, 10:27   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Seriously, what is your point? What is the point of this thread? Are you upset that everybody doesn't join and support you in your obvious disdain of canines?

Yes, it's true that some people don't train or control their dogs. That's nothing new.
I suggest that you take a hose, connect it to the spigot, turn it on and spray the offending area once in a while. That will probably help with the smell.
But don't get pushed out of shape if people who recognize the benefit and joy of sharing their lives with a four legged companion take a little offense at the denigration of their friends.
I think you're confusing canine disdain with irresponsible/lazy canine owner disdain. All any of the peeved people in this thread are asking is that you keep your decision to be a dog owner out of their lives. It is the dog owners responsibility to do WHATEVER it takes to accomplish this.

I think Chief Engineer is well within his rights to get a pet bullhorn that will climb the mast and bark obscenities in the middle of the night whenever it smells pee.

That being said, I am a dog owner. Part of that is making sure your dog will obey your commands and respect strangers boundaries. If he goes potty, it is in a place where he knows it's OK.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 10:54   #54

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
It is the dog owners responsibility to do WHATEVER it takes to accomplish this.
This is where we disagree. Nobody can be completely protected from insult or annoyance in this world. We live in a world where dog exist and pee happens. I agree people should do their best to control their dog and clean up, etc. but things are still going to be annoying to some folks.

I am not saying that the OP is not being perfectly reasonable. I am just saying that life is not as perfect as we would like it to be and if someone's dog sniffs your crotch or pees somewhere you are offended by it it doesn't necessarily mean someone is at fault or has failed in some way to do their civic duty. It just means that life happened and just like others do when they are annoyed by things other then dogs, a person has to just roll with it or find a way to avoid it.

Expecting others to anticipate your expectations and meet them is no way to live.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 11:20   #55

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Dogs and Marine Justice

I grew up with two extremely well loved but incorrigable beagle brothers. Those dogs were immune to disipline or control. They would not respond to anything except the call to dinner. Both were taken on most cruising trips. When the behavior became utterly impossible (barking, crapping, peeing, farting and howling) they were taken before the mast and frequently sentenced to marrooning on a small isolated island. They would always try to escape their sentence and need to be rescued from certain death by drowning (fear was not in their lexicon). They lived to 16 and 17 respectively out of sheer orneryness.

I have never had a dog since. What a bunch of memories though. They were the worst possible neighbors.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 11:58   #56
Armchair Bucketeer

An Elderly relative had a jack russell. Used to do WTF it wanted. when it wanted.

Ran around like it was on PCP - whether on a lead or not Great fun for us kids After 1 too many falls the dog got rehomed. With a local farmer.

Soon after the dog was seen sitting patiently in the passenger seat of the farmers lorry - with the window open, waiting for farmer to return. Still with the same idiot grin

Not long before it would have been jumping around any vehicle like it had a wasp up it's jacksy and trying to jump out of the window - even though closed

The reason for the change? lots of fresh air and excercise didn't do any harm, but the crucial difference was being trained. Possibly through the medium of chocolate treats and hugs. or not..........but, whatever - dog now knew it's place in the pack and behaved accordingly, because the owner did not make him / herself subservient...........to a dog

Who's the bitch? If you don't know, your dog certainly does Something to think about the next time your dog sh#ts & pisses in what he thinks is your territory...........he's sending you a "message" - exactly the same way and meaning as if I dropped a log on your front lawn (or if you owned a French Nightclub and overcharged someone for drinks - it weren't blood on the dancefloor, it was a message ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 12:30   #57

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Doggonit! I see it all now! That was you out on my front lawn! I thought I was being disrespected by wild life.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 14:09   #58

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
You don't think David has a wild life?
Old 19-06-2010, 15:23   #59
Eternal Member

For some years I thought that dogs were better in most ways than 90% of humankind.

Now, I've come to see I was wrong. It's 99%. Maybe 99.5%.

This thread proves it :-)

Bill

And this one maybe tops the list at 99.9%: http://wdsg.com/gallery/main.php?g2_...geViewsIndex=1

B.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 16:32   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Who's the bitch? If you don't know, your dog certainly does
So true. I/we inherited a dog from an elderly relative. It was impossible in everyones eyes except mine. To me it was either trainable or edible . Turns out it took a week to get it to stop begging at the table, jumping on the furniture and continually barking and whining. It wasn't even difficult. The whole family (in-laws) were amazed but for some reason they were unable to be firm with the dog - prefering to hate it instead. Turned out the old fellow wasn't a bad dog at all.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote