Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2023, 05:00   #1

Dog transport to the Phillippines?

Hi! I saw on these forums that people sometimes had quite 'strange' things shipped around the world leveraging the community of sailors.

I have a small pet sharpei that I need transferred to Manilla or thereabout (anywhere that's on Luzon is fine by me).

I was wondering if you are aware of people renting out 'passage' to a pet dog that cannot fly for health reasons (that breed doesn't fly well at all).

Or maybe an alternative to planes in general (any type of ship).

Cost is not that big of a deal given there is tremendous sentimental value in that pet (it's for my wife).

Thank you!
ScienceSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 14:39   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Dog transport to the Phillippines?

Some dogs get seasick. More likely on a small boat than a ship. Could you take it by ship.

Some skippers are concerned what happens if the dog gets lost overboard, not willing to put the boat and crew to the discomfort and work of searching back to windward in over 20 knots.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I'm thinking it is unlikely to find someone to transport your dog.

Also, a question: have you found out what the quarantine for the dog would be in the Philippines? Sometimes (Australia), it is extremely expensive, long lasting, and onerous for the dog or cat.

Ann
Old 06-09-2023, 00:02   #3

Thank you JPA.

https://petraveller.com.au/blog/pet-...he-philippines has a good explanation on the import of pets. There is NO quarantine to speak of given the quarantine is 'at home' and evidently, that's not the type of quarantine people worry about. If your pet is chipped, vaxed and healthy there is zero issue.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-09-2023, 03:53   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Unless I missed something you don't mention where from?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 01:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Unless I missed something you don't mention where from?
From the UK but I'm flexible (in the sense that thanks to EU law I can , and have in the past, moved pets between any country in the EEC).

Thank you!
Old 07-09-2023, 03:49   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Wow that is a big ask. UK to Philippines, via The Red Sea? or going west, Atlantic, Pacific. Both represent many weeks even months at sea and numerous countries to pass through.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 00:58   #7

Yeah in the end, it looks like it won't happen - that dog can't be moved, basically. If you are considering owning a dog, be very mindful of that, because I'm not the type to place dogs in shelters - in fact i take them OUT of shelters, meaning - I won't be able to relocate having no one to help me care for the animal. Big lesson learned here and i hope it helps others.