Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 09:48   #16

Boat: Nauticat 36
Re: Crazy Idea Several Families on a Big Boat

Decades ago I was the ship's physician, novice seaman and a part of a watch group on the RV Westward, a 100 ft. staysail schooner that plied the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Caribbean with a permanent crew of five (Captain, Bosun, Engineer, and 3rd mate, and cook) and 28 college age kids. There were 4 doublebunk cabins, a large captain's cabin aft, a 4 bunk foc'sle, and 4 curtained single berths lining the main salon with gimballed table. We used the Swedish watch system which kept everyone sleeping well and with some privacy.
And I felt safe all the time, even during a powerful mediterranean storm that sunk some big freighters.
I treasure those eight months-one of the most remarkable times of my life.
I think if I were in the position of mmedinge, and had the $$$ for boat purchase, fixup, cruising costs, etc. and were under sixty, I would do it again in a flash.
I've continued cruising with my husband, as far as the Bahamas, on our 36 ft. boat, which is great fun, but the real memories come from the Westward!
(The Westward's descendants are now run by the SEA Education Association out of Woods Hole, Mass.)
As long as a strong, knowledgeable, captain is designated, and everyone aboard is comfortable and able in the water, the voyage should go well.
I wish you well in organizing this trip-wish my progeny were interested!

BTW, I'v seen White Squall many times- never put me off!
letitia pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:52   #17

Agree with Seasick's comment ""It was better to have others contribute rather than to be part-owners.

I've never heard a better example for requiring a CATAMARAN. Please do not attempt this on one hull !!

Having said that, this sounds like an unserved market. If you offered home schooling, figured out your monthly run-rate and actually have families putting down a deposit I would go for it.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1973 Cal Cruiser 35

The best way to cure that fantasy is to rent a doublewide mobile home(2 14"x60" sections ..put the families in it and see how things go for a couple months.
freakytiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24   #19
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

We have a 12 family community and own on a small freighter. It was a fantastic investment in safety, way to experience fantastic travel, and prepare for the collapse of American society.

We have a Captain and his family, chef and his family, 2 doctors and families, 2 teacher's and families, etc... All interviewed and voted upon by the members of the "Freedom" as our number was increasing to the 12 family maximum.

Each of the families are independently wealthy, we dock and provision once a month in order to maintain a 12 month supply of food and water. We have a solid solar power grid, backup diesel generator, etc...

We did add additional diesel fuel tanks to bring total capacity to 15,000 gallons.

We definitely have had issues over time and addressed them accordingly.

By all means if you have the resources go big and enjoy the ride.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:44   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's the boat for you! Just a little sweat equity and you're good to go. One hull per family.

2000 Custom Trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rave_trimaran.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	157277  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer86 View Post
Sounds like a great adventure to me. Do it!
Live is full of people that are afraid of change or a challenge. I personally think that they are missing the point of life.
Make a GOOD plan and do it.
I see that all the time.
Just don't understand it.

I do hope what the OP wants to do does work out for him/them.

Myself, i would not do it as i am too much of a loner.
What's that song, "I was Born Under a Wandering Star" ?
That's me.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
We have a 12 family community and own on a small freighter. It was a fantastic investment in safety, way to experience fantastic travel, and prepare for the collapse of American society.

We have a Captain and his family, chef and his family, 2 doctors and families, 2 teacher's and families, etc... All interviewed and voted upon by the members of the "Freedom" as our number was increasing to the 12 family maximum.
It was all going along so swimmingly. Who knew that darn rogue wave would hit the week just before "the collapse"? Here ends the story.

Rogue waves (also known as freak waves, monster waves, episodic waves, killer waves, extreme waves, and abnormal waves) are large, unexpected and suddenly appearing surface waves that can be extremely dangerous, even to large ships such as ocean liners.

Rogue waves present considerable danger for several reasons: they are rare, unpredictable, may appear suddenly or without warning, and can impact with tremendous force. A 12-metre (39 ft) wave in the usual "linear" model would have a breaking pressure of 6 metric tons per square metre [t/m2] (8.5 psi). Although modern ships are designed to tolerate a breaking wave of 15 t/m2 (21 psi), a rogue wave can dwarf both of these figures with a breaking pressure of 100 t/m2 (140 psi).
Old 07-10-2017, 11:07   #23

Don't know your budget. Just an idea. It's been in auction for a long time. http://www.yachtauctions.com/inventory/245-1947-cooks-welton-caledonia-tall-ship/6499/
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:09   #24

You might do a search here on Boat Partnerships and read some details.

Who's The Boss often arises in a situation you describe, regardless of the ownership/partnership issues. You and your friends will want to address that.

What always comes up in partnership issues is "The End Game." What happens if someone wants out?

If your issue is keeping your kids happy, this may not be the best way to do it. Many couples have sailed with their own kids and the kids survived. How? 'Cuz most of the time you're out there you're at anchor anyway.

Have you considered three separate boats?

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:12   #25

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post

Rogue waves present considerable danger for several reasons: they are rare, .
I do not see how something "Rare" presents "Considerable Danger". In probably half a million ocean miles (commercial ships, offshore tugs, and sailboats), in 40 years of being on every ocean in the world, I have yet to see a Rogue Wave or speak to someone who has experienced one. I would class it up there with being hit by a meteor or piece of space derbies

If one is looking for an excuse not to do something, how about being honest and just saying fear.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:22   #26

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Where there is a will...there is a way. Forming a L.L.C or full on Corporation...it is done all the time in boat partnerships here in USA. As always ...a blade has two edges...so partnerships, LLC, Corporations...all have strengths and weaknesses.

It doesn't say what nationality you are. In USA a boat that large would require insurance. Insurance would require you to have licenses and a lot of experience with that large of a vessel. So, be prepared for that hurdle. Maybe, as you said, you have a certified Captain.

It is an interesting idea and I think it can work if you have a good plan and plenty of money. Big old boats are cheap when you look at footage versus price. But they are so expensive to run and keep going. What an adventure it would be. Keep us updated as to your progress no matter which way it goes.

BTW...White Squall, with Jeff Bridges, is a great movie. Ended tragically with loss of life due to a White Squall overpowering the ship. Based on a true story.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BTW...White Squall, with Jeff Bridges, is a great movie. Ended tragically with loss of life due to a White Squall overpowering the ship. Based on a true story.
Not even a spoiler alert. Gee, thanks from those of us who haven't seen the movie.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I do not see how something "Rare" presents "Considerable Danger". In probably half a million ocean miles (commercial ships, offshore tugs, and sailboats), in 40 years of being on every ocean in the world, I have yet to see a Rogue Wave or speak to someone who has experienced one. I would class it up there with being hit by a meteor or piece of space derbies

If one is looking for an excuse not to do something, how about being honest and just saying fear.

M
Captain Mike,

I'm not looking for an excuse rather providing comparative risks to someone laying out a societal risk avoidance plan with a glaring gap. My point of view is that the sea is occasionally a dangerous place with several shipwrecks over the years.

In the last 100 hundred years

# of shipwrecks?
# of white squalls?
# of water spouts?
# of rotating storms?
# of rogue waves?
# "collapses of American society"?

With that many sea miles under your belt you certainly know the sea as an uncaring, potentially hostile and/or beautiful environment, no?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:55   #29

Sounds like a grest idea but I 'm a typical crazy
Sailboater. You need to read Ernest Gann book
SONG OF THE SIRENS.
motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:18   #30

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Captain Mike,

With that many sea miles under your belt you certainly know the sea as an uncaring, potentially hostile and/or beautiful environment, no?
Yes, the Sea is a harsh mistress, unforgiving , beautiful, and serene. Offshore there is very little that can harm you. Even Bad Storms, most of the time if you were to go below and lay in your bunk you would survive it. When you start to close with the coast is when dangerous things can happen, and the closer one gets the more dangerous it becomes.

I have taken several people across the Atlantic, east to west, and invariably when I tell them we will sight land the next day they always say “Do we have to stop?” Life at sea is good. I would rather face occasional bad weather than deal with traffic every day. Rather hear the wind occasionally screaming in the rigging than listen to the continual bombardment of advertisements on radio, television, and the internet. I would rather see a billion stars most every night than the skyline of a city. Rather have to look in the log to see what day of the week it is (while knowing exactly the phase of the moon) than know it is Thursday so I have to set the trash out. I could go on but you get the drift.

To take a family, or a couple of families to sea and experience the serenity of being responsible for oneself rather than counting on… the government? Is a pleasure unknown by most. The things the kids (and adults) would learn at sea and traveling to different countries, experiencing different cultures, foods, languages, you can not buy such experience. And approaching a country by sea rather than landing at an international airport, is totally more rewarding.

As in most things in life, the reward far outweighs the risk, imagined or real.

To the Original Poster, Good luck with your endeavor, if it does not work out it will have been fun trying, and fair winds if it does.
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat