Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2021, 16:49   #76

Boat: FP Astrea 42
Re: aspiring sailor with queasy spouse - doable?

Short answer here:
1 buy a catamaran. The motion is different. We had 3 monohulls each bigger than the last, but the problem was still there. Now on our second cat and I feel motion sickness more than she does!!!!!
2 Don’t eat much before, sailing. Take sea sickness pills before and during. Stay outside, fresh air etc.
good luck.
2 Itchy Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 17:29   #77

Boat: S&S 40

Not going to work in the long run, having people on board who suffer seasickness.
Pills and various aids might help to some extent to overcome feeling sick, however, it doesn’t work for everyone.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 19:59   #78

Thank you for the feedback.

We did a motor boat rental in HI and I opened the throttle to 40 knots so I don't think it's fear based, but rather a legit plane, car, boat, etc. motion issue. Motion sickness pills are the preventative measure usually taken and were taken for the HI boat trip and others.

I suddenly realized my own fear could prohibit such a pursuit if I was required to climb the mast! Also, the thought of being in a small craft like a laser or sunfish with great whites lurking in my desired waters does seem that interesting. I investigated a trailer for a Catalina 22 and might look to get one if my interest remains. Learning to sail in a harbor with a ton of commercial traffic isn't all that palatable, but one needs to start somewhere. I also saw someone flipped a large catamaran in NH recently? I couldn't find the article quickly.

I don't think extensive cruising will ever happen. But, I will probably have a chance to do a trailer sailing boat at some point. I'm not sure if a large 30 footer would be in the cards in the future, but we'll see.
jpr_jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 20:46   #79

Have been through exactly that set of events.

While it has been more than 10 years since my wife left harbour for the first time she is now looking forward to our third offshore cruise together as soon as borders open again.

Be prepared to take time over this, its worth it. My wife is still not much of a sailor, but I wouldn't have any other crew before her.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 21:47   #80

Boat: Logan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlblan2 View Post
My wife gets car sick but I have found that she has no trouble on the sailboat, including working in the gallery when we are at sea. The answer was ginger pills. If she starts to get nauseated, she just pops a ginger pill and the feeling goes away.
My wife also gets car sick but never when she is driving. So when travelling she always takes the wheel on the windy roads. Same on the boat - if she’s feeling a bit nauseous she takes the helm and is then ok.
Lindsaymcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 00:39   #81

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

My wife's previous boating experience was a small fishing dinghy in So California. Did not like (large ocean swell made her sick).

10 years later we live on a mooring ball in Key West on a 41' OI Morgan. She has no issue on boat or dinghying to shore.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:27   #82

Boat: Najad 400

My wife hates sailing. She get so sick she's been hospitalized twice in the past 2 years. In anything more than a force 5 she's on a personality changing white knuckle ride in the cockpit or shaking and crying lying in the pilot berth.

We've been liveaboards for 4 years. We've been back in the UK for 2 weeks to sort out some family stuff. She's bored and wants to get back to the boat as soon as possible.

Our philosophy is 'never go backwards'. We are on a very slow circumnavigation via the coastal route. Compared to the life we use to lead the experience is so rewarding and intense is worth tolerating the pain.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 13:32   #83

Boat: Logan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeasy123 View Post
My wife hates sailing. She get so sick she's been hospitalized twice in the past 2 years. In anything more than a force 5 she's on a personality changing white knuckle ride in the cockpit or shaking and crying lying in the pilot berth.

We've been liveaboards for 4 years. We've been back in the UK for 2 weeks to sort out some family stuff. She's bored and wants to get back to the boat as soon as possible.

Our philosophy is 'never go backwards'. We are on a very slow circumnavigation via the coastal route. Compared to the life we use to lead the experience is so rewarding and intense is worth tolerating the pain.
Stockholm syndrome?
Lindsaymcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 15:01   #84

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaymcm View Post
Stockholm syndrome?
Ooh. That's another good destination. We'll put Stockholm on the list.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:02   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Queasy kid, maybe. Queasy wife, never gonna happen.

Ask me how I know.
Agreed. my first wife couldn't handle the boat. one of the many reasons it didn't work out.
captbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 08:28   #86

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

My wife had bad motion sickness, even driving winding roads in a car.

Any kind of boat forget it.

I took her out in beach cats on vacation. Small motorboats to fish, she hated fishing, but liked to eat fish.

She usually got seasick even on lakes, but gradually got to where she could tolerate it.

I moved to a larger boat on the ICW, and when we got to where we could actually get to a destinations she was finally sold on the idea.

I got a two person kayak, and took her to an area with numerous small islands within an hours paddle, she enjoyed going to explore on a small island not accessible by car.

Then I upgraded to a small sailing dinghy, and we went back to the same islands, and others too far to paddle, with no effort.

She agreed sailing was easier than paddling, and no engine fumes, and noise.

A decade later, we are now sailing off shore in a large catamaran.

She still gets seasick the first few days, but after a couple weeks doesn't even notice.

I did do a few shock treatments, like getting caught offshore in a storm in a small trailer sailor, and a few other unfortunate events that she still gripes about.

But she is now fully onboard. (well partially, still reluctant sometimes, and not much interest in learning more than necessary, like anchoring).

But having an anchor person, and a second hand to pull a line in a difficult tack or jibe is useful, I just have to be very specific as she doesn't know anything, and doesn't want to know anything.

So 20 years of conditioning, but light at the end of the tunnel.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail