Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2019, 15:06   #31

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: age and living aboard and cruising on a sailboat

I have a lot of respect, and especially admiration anyone who still sails at 70+, or even just the active 65 for that matter. I think staying active, and mentally "in the game" out there, on your own 2 feet, independently - has to be nothing but good for your longevity. I don't think the human body or mind ever does well "retired." Lack of stress - great - the best, but lack of excitement every so often - not good over time. I know I have a lot of occupational stress & life stress - but when I'm out on the open water, and it's blowing pretty good out - that's what really feels alive to me. Like, living in reality.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 15:08   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

to Sondra....

Some years ago I was en route to Bermuda.
I was maybe 3-4 days out, can't remember exactly anymore, when I spied a sail on the horizon and soon discerned that it was heading my way.

Sure enuff, about 30 minutes later, a small fiberglass sloop pulled alongside me.

Incredulously, the couple on the boat, a man and woman, appeared to be in their 90's. They were both naked as jaybirds and brown as a berry. They asked us for " directions" to Bermuda ,as their sole navigational tool was a schoolboy atlas. They had left from Key West some time ago. We asked if they needed anything, but they replied they were fine and had everything they needed.

I gave them a " fix" , a compass bearing and pointed at the horizon and told them Bermuda was " thataway"

Nah, I'm not making this up....

They thanked me, started their engine and were soon a blip on the horizon.

Whether they made it there or not, I cannot say. I arrived in Bermuda several days later, and kept an eye out for their boat, but never saw it, but they could have been anywhere.

So to your question.....you can go sailing at any age....

Another option is to sign on as " crew". Many boats crossing the Atlantic have " delivery" crews " and are always looking for " crew".
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 16:03   #33

I'm 70 and looking for my first boat purchase. My sailing experience includes 5k-6k nm up and down the Pacific Coast crewing for other boat owners. I've finally decided to purchase a boat mainly because I doubt that many skippers looking for crew would take on someone my age. The owner of the last boat I looked at was 81 years old, and is considering hanging up his sailors cap.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 13:36   #34

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

@B23iL23
She'll be sailing with you, man.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 13:53   #35

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

So many great stories from humble yet well determined and conscious sailors. I got moved. Life is what you ask for out of it, so it is self-fulfilling, in a wise way.

I spent full time aboard from 60 to 64. Never been so fit, apart from living in a mountain chalet (5000ft) while practising cross country skiing, and with little heating.(2006)

I'll be back as soon as possible to me.

We live frugally a healthy life on board....just DO NOT FORGET sex, and love.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:41   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by resoluute View Post
Wondering what age is the average active cruiser that singlehands? when are you too long in the tooth ? I know it varies with health but curious on seniors who actively cruise
Mostly couples in the Salty Dawgs. I think the average age is above 60. Several of our friends are in mid 70’s.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:47   #37

thanks. yeah and in the two boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
@B23iL23
She'll be sailing with you, man.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 08:38   #38

Boat: Oday 25

I'm 80 and slowly owning smaller and smaller vessels. Have been working my way down from 43' over the last 20 years. Currently sailing an O'day 25 in the Wednesday night races and desprately holding on to first place in the fleet. Having a younger crew of 2 helps a lot. A guy in our club sailed his Ensign until 92, and then just crewed.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 08:58   #39

Boat: Carver 560 Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
I'm 79. There are many others as old or older. The question of age is a red herring. Asking it distracts you from the REAL questions: 1) How frail are you? Clearly none of us have the alacrity we had at five and twenty. Among the things one notices is a lengthening of reaction time and a diminution in the sense of balance which must be considered when on deck. 2) How REALISTIC are you about your frailties? If, like many people of advanced years, you get the odd cardiac arrhythmia, just how portentous is that? It is just a pain in the butt, so to speak, or is it serious enuff that someone else (such as your wife) might have to bring your ship to port?

You get the drift: Identify all the possible impediments that might impact YOUR going cruising. YOUR going cruising, not someone else's! Then enumerate all the steps are presently taking, and can take in the future, to minimize the risks intrinsic to those impediments.

As for physical strength - which also is not what it was when we were young - just rig your boat appropriately and exercise appropriate seamanship. In respect of appropriate seamanship we geezers have it all over the young and the fearless.

So - take it for a dead certainty: Age has NOTHING to do with it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said! I'm 79 and fully agree with you.
Txcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 08:59   #40

Boat: Carver 560 Voyager

Well said! I'm 79 and fully agree with you.
Txcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:08   #41

Boat: Casacde 36

I single hand my Cascade 36 around local waters and my wife and I have spent the past 10 years sailing in British Columbia, to Hawaii & back, and the past 2 years in SE Alaska. Usually spend about 5 months per year aboard. I'm 71 and have had insulin dependent diabetes for some 30 years. Our boat is very simple; manual winches, single spreader rig, manual windlass, mostly row the dinghy so it can be done.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 12:33   #42

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Just a note, if you sail then nothing will keep you sailing longer than a junk rig. The hardest job with the rig is to hoist the sail(s) and you can put in an electric winch for that. Everything else is easily doable, put in a reef? Take 2 or 3 minutes and no need to leave the cockpit. Tack? Just put the helm over. Running? just ease the sheet, no need for vangs or spinnakers.

With the modern cambered junk rig, going to the windward is no longer a problem. What's not to like?
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 13:34   #43

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

My only real question is why would anyone want to do long-distance voyaging alone?

I have done it once due to conditions beyond my control and spent 5 weeks crossing an ocean on my own. And while I’m OK with my own company and don’t need help to sail my boat, that is something I’ll never want to do again.

I guess people have their reasons for wanting to be alone and hopping from one port to another is easier than transcontinental passages. In essence I single-hand my boat even when there are 6 others on board. Also today’s technologies do simplify aspects such as watch keeping so long-range single-handers can get more rest than someone doing it 20 years ago.

I’m now 70 and still do regular return trips from home to the islands (around 1000nm one way) but thankfully having to satisfy CAT 1 in New Zealand means I’m legally obliged to have “competent crew” no matter how old I am. I don’t have to make excuses to avoid the lunacy (IMO) of spending a week at sea alone.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 14:03   #44

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Single handing is something you either love or you don't. I love it and much prefer it to having others on board.
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 14:10   #45

Boat: Van de Stadt 36 Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
I'm 58 and will be getting back into sailing next summer and living onboard full time. Lost my wife in June so some of it will be with hired crew and my kids, some on my own. Looking forward to both.
Sorry for your loss! But hey, at 58 you're a youngster in the full-time cruiser community. Wishing you a great time nevertheless
ErnestV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, living aboard, sail, sailboat