Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 14:45   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: age and living aboard and cruising on a sailboat

It just seems to depend on chance. I'm 72 and fit. I'd love to still be cruising, but my wife lost mobility and was no longer safe on the deck or moving on and off the boat. I'd love to still be cruising, but I've taken on other activities and remain with my wife in a handicapped access home ashore. I guess it's pretty much like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates!
Old 16-08-2019, 14:53   #17

Happy to say at 85 still sailing FL. waters and the Bahamas on our 3rd Freedom. Just wish boat working issues would go away
MAK982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 15:05   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
It's all in the mind. If you run to the doctor or pill cabinet for every ache or pain, don't do it.

agree with you aches and pains are part of being physical and being on a boat. sometimes you may be put into situations that require fast reactions .. most times not. the biggest challenge could be getting into and out of the boat .. or bringing the boat into a marina slip. sometimes you will do stupid things or forget what you were planning to do. but this will happen no matter where you are.
Old 16-08-2019, 18:00   #19

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by resoluute View Post
Wondering what age is the average active cruiser that singlehands? when are you too long in the tooth ? I know it varies with health but curious on seniors who actively cruise
Is 80 too old to go sailing
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 21:39   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm 75 this year, have been a live aboard and single handed coastal cruiser since 2001 and occasionally think about going and doing something else. But on pondering the alternatives fairly quickly come to my senses.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 02:18   #21

Have to agree with all of you. I am 72 and so far going strong. Lots of exercise and an open mind helps.
Stewie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 05:00   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

About to turn 74. Wreaked my motorbike riding in a state forest a few weeks ago. Personal physician wants me to up my running to 50 minutes three times a week from 30 minutes, and add more weight training. The boat keeps me young, whether working on it or cruising.

As the physician says, we can't avoid a disaster like cancer, but with proper exercise and diet, our bodies and minds can clearly make it into the late 80s.
Old 17-08-2019, 16:58   #23

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

No matter how many years you have lived so far the best idea is to continue to find joy in the world and people around you. Or as Jonathan Swift so aptly offered in a toast, “May you live all the days of your life.”
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 17:27   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

You asked I think what are two questions.

what average?

too old?

I would guess 50 is about average.

100 is sorta becoming long in the tooth, except if you are in good shape and everything.

As long as you enjoy it, you are never too young nor too old.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 17:55   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

besides sailing...I like to fish....I routinely go offshore 30-40 miles to fish. To be sure, I have some youngsters aboard, as per my wife's instructions, as I am a stroke survivor.
I'm 67, going strong. Ha, my wife is 17 years my junior, and she keeps me " at it".
Until I see someone shoveling dirt over my face, I keep going.
Today's 60's are yesterday's 40's.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 18:26   #26

Born Dec. 45.

Sailed our boat up from SF to BC in 2016. While not a full time cruiser, I singlehand the Southern Gulf Islands and the San Juans each summer.

Delightful.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 23:41   #27

Boat: Bénéteau Oceanis 393 Clipper, 12 m / 39'

I became a liveaboard two years ago.
Right now I’m on a circumnavigation singelhand. I pick up some crew once in a while to help me financially. I‘m from Germany, 68 years old. Currently I‘m at Java, Indonesia. I will cross the Indian Ocean heading to Mauritius (3,300 nm). I have two double berth available. Come on and join me.
Skipper Ingo on SY FAULE HAUT
Faule Haut — Weltumsegelung – Circumnavigation
Skipper-Ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 23:49   #28

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

It sure seems looking around sailing that the act of sailing keeps people fitter than city life. I'm regularly pleasantly amazed when someone I think is my age (42) is actually 60+ Of course that could be a form of self-selecting bias...the ones who age out of it I don't encounter on the water, only the ones in good or great health, who might be the same way living in an apartment somewhere

One of the other posters had it right: it isn't about a number, it's about how frail you are or aren't, your health history, genetics and issues, and how risk averse (do you really want to be many miles away from a doctor with your particular health risks and issues?). And possibly who is depending on you to get them back, or are you solo and happy to die happy in the middle of the ocean?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 13:52   #29

I'm 63 and would love to sail across the ocean. single hand possibly. Just need to get up the nerve and , of course, money to get the right boat. What are the basic requirement for such a journey. Did you take a course on engine repair?
sondra elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 14:41   #30

Sondra:

Not sure just what you are asking. Are you asking what basic requirements impinge on YOU or on the BOAT? Each should be a separate question :-)

And only half in jest: Being a competent mechanic, qua engine repairer, will do you no good on a transoceanic passage. You don't use your engine while off soundings, and therefore it won't break. If it worked when you went off soundings it will work when you arrive on t'other side.

But there is lotsa other stuff that might not :-)

And remember, you are talking about SAILING, so we are back to the requirements impinging on you.

Read a lot, come here a lot, ask questions that are more specific than the one you asked here. Then we'll be very glad to help you along.

All the best
TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, living aboard, sail, sailboat