Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45   #106

Boat: Moody 376
Re: What Can you not find in Certain Countries While Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
America meets Vegemite

I was brought up on Marmite, Vegemite is an inferior product from the colonials, filled with lots of additional nonsense. For real Yeast extract lovers try Marmite XO.

Dave
As someone else has already said... "too much spoils the flavour"... I reckon anyone would feel sick eating a whole spoon of it on it's own... Try munching on a couple of raw garlic cloves and then telling me how much you like garlic!

Vegemite is best enjoyed sparingly on buttered toast... Too much spoils the flavour...

All this from a Brit raised in Singapore... must get around to trying Marmite in anticipation of expectations from the homeland
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:53   #107
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Can you not find in Certain Countries While Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
China is now exporting small lambs; particularly good on the barby. Bet Vegemite is great with that!
There's cheap Chinese shops springing up all over Europe these days.. 3 new ones this year within 1/4 mile of me.. shops..? more like warehouse's selling everything at a fraction of local goods...
Funny thing though... lots of dogs suddenly start going missing in the area's....
Just wondering...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:14   #108

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's cheap Chinese shops springing up all over Europe these days.. 3 new ones this year within 1/4 mile of me.. shops..? more like warehouse's selling everything at a fraction of local goods...
Funny thing though... lots of dogs suddenly start going missing in the area's....
Just wondering...
That IS odd. Don't they normally start with cats?
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:35   #109
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I once crewed for a Brit. Breakfast every morning was toast with vegemite, and lunch was spam on crackers. At happy hour we had a can of spray cheese on whatever toast or crackers were left over.

That's the closest I ever came to mutiny.
Old 07-05-2013, 13:41   #110

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Back to Really Serious Deprivation: in Australia (and NZ and New Cal and VAnuatu and the Solomons) one is hard pressed to find Mexican food. There are the occasional restaurants labled "Mexican", and they often offer good, wholesome tucker, but no real Mexican food. In particular, the Tomatillo is not grown down under for some reason, and this makes construction of green salsas difficult. The Mexican types of chillis are being grown, but they mostly lack authority. I have actually eaten an Australian Habenero and lived to tell the tale...

We're in California right now, and it is fair to say that I have practiced gluttony since our arrival...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-05-2013, 21:24   #111

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

The Twinkie Returns:
“The family-owned company that revived Pabst Blue Ribbon has been given the go-ahead to purchase Hostess out of bankruptcy. The new owners (Apollo Global Management (APO) and Metropoulos & Co) share their plans to bring the Twinkie—and profitability—back to life...”
Twinkies Are Coming Back: The Metropoulos Brothers On the Brand - The Daily Beast

Twinkie's future could be union-free - Apr. 25, 2013

And:
“... Grupo Bimbo, which owns the Sara Lee brand, is working on a knockoff version of Hostess products and is aiming to get them onto store shelves quickly, reports the New York Post ...”
Miss your Twinkies? Knockoffs are coming- MSN Money
I did read they were coming back, but we will be gone before they hit the shelves !

In PR I did have a Mexican knock-off (not even close) -- it was really heavy.

I hadn't really thought about Twinkies in forever, it is more a memory from childhood, but as soon as I couldn't get one I was craving one!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 21:33   #112

Quote:

I found Marmite in Nth Palm Beach by total accident... had been to the jams, spreads and honey shelves where its normally kept in the UK and selected everything I wanted so popped round to the baking aisle for flour, yeast etc and there it was... stacked next to baking soda/powder and instant yeast packets.. seems some confusion as the jar states its Yeast...
I looked while I was at the grocery store today, baking section, no vegemite or anything resembling it -- whew I was saved! I was going to get some and feed it to the hubby first, to see his reaction before trying it myself. Like Blue Crab, I am probably not a very adventurous eater. It makes one wonder how I m going to make it around the world!?!

Oh I know, pasta!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 07-05-2013, 21:33   #113

Quote:

Just wondering...
Really?
Old 07-05-2013, 21:39   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Back to Really Serious Deprivation: in Australia (and NZ and New Cal and VAnuatu and the Solomons) one is hard pressed to find Mexican food. There are the occasional restaurants labled "Mexican", and they often offer good, wholesome tucker, but no real Mexican food. In particular, the Tomatillo is not grown down under for some reason, and this makes construction of green salsas difficult. The Mexican types of chillis are being grown, but they mostly lack authority. I have actually eaten an Australian Habenero and lived to tell the tale...

We're in California right now, and it is fair to say that I have practiced gluttony since our arrival...

Cheers,

Jim
Found the same in the Caribbean. However, I have been able to find tomatillos and a good variety of peppers. My last batch of chile verde was pretty good, if I say so myself!

I also have been been devouring Mexican food at an alarming rate since we got back to the States.
Old 07-05-2013, 21:39   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post

Even worse!
Old 07-05-2013, 21:42   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I once crewed for a Brit. Breakfast every morning was toast with vegemite, and lunch was spam on crackers. At happy hour we had a can of spray cheese on whatever toast or crackers were left over.

That's the closest I ever came to mutiny.
I thought Spam and spray cheese were American originals -- not good ones though. I would have mutinied after a week.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:25   #117
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Yes SPAM is one of those American foods that crossed the pond to blighty, over cooked, over salted and over here.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:02   #118
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Can you not find in Certain Countries While Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
Your getting confused with the Indian Restaurants Chicken Tikka...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:16   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

My old mother says that she will not eat sausages because she "does not know whats in them", But, she will eat Spam, beacause she always has. One day I will tell her.

Only taste worse than Vegemite is............................. Marmite.

Coops.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:03   #120
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you guys have put me off food..and today is payday--i guess it is die-t time..lol.....i will see what i can find in melaque.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising