Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2023, 12:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Tea on Board

i only drink early grey from sicily .water heat 95 °C 1 bag early grey 2 minuta and 1 big teaspoon honey aromatic black med plant salvia or pine forest,rosmarin,lavanda.
night 7 minute tea. morning 2-4 espresso illy red, sometime capucino
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 16:27   #17

Boat: Oyster 66

I use one of these. The tea is my mix of 85% Assam leaf tea and 15% Earl Grey. Brew for one and a half minutes and add a little milk (now, because I find I don't get on with milk I have a teaspoon of cream, which is just as good). I haven't found a tea-bag that comes close.

After the morning coffee I have 3 or four mugs every day and finish off with a Chinese green leaf tea late afternoon brewed for three and a half minutes in the same device. No milk.

That's the end result of a lifetime of experimentation. Sorry it's not more elaborate.

poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 03:18   #18

Masala chai:

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/masala-tea-chai/

I like mamri/CTC from Assam
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 03:28   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Teabags in a Yeti thermos; water from singing kettle on stove (on the woodstove if conditions are right).
Old 21-11-2023, 13:32   #20

I love black tea and green tea. I make black tea with tea bags - Lipton's most of the time, but I occasionally use Twinings.

When I really feel like treating myself, I make green tea in the traditional Japanese way. If I'm making sencha, I use a kyusu (a little teapot with a built-in strainer):

Loose green tea leaves (which come tightly rolled into little cylinders) are placed into the kyusu and then water that is just below boiling temperature is added. The water can be cooled to just the right temperature by boiling it and then pouring it into a room temperature container and then into the kyusu. The tea is steeped for one minute only and then poured into three tiny tea cups. No sugar, milk or anything else is added. Upon removing the kyusu lid, you will discover that all of the tea leaves have unrolled during steeping. The same leaves can be steeped up to three times, but I find that the second and third brews are not as flavorful.

If I'm making matcha, I use a chawan (tea drinking bowl) and chasen (bamboo whisk):

The matcha powder is placed in the bowl, hot water is added (similar to making sencha) and the tea is whisked until thoroughly mixed. Then it's ready to enjoy! Unlike most other teas, matcha is a suspension. The tea is made from whole tea leaves which have been ground into a very fine powder. They do not dissolve, but are suspended in the water. So, when you drink matcha, you are consuming the whole leaf. Some say this maximizes the health benefits of drinking tea. But the tea must be enjoyed relatively quickly after whisking because the leaves will eventually fall out of suspension and collect at the bottom of the bowl.

I also sift the matcha powder as I add it to the bowl using a chakoshi (tea sifter) and chashaku (tea ladle). This ensures the tea does not clump together (which it tends to do, because of static electricity in the fine powder) and results in a more even suspension. But this is not necessary.

I almost always order my green tea from Ippodo. I have used locally available green tea before. It's alright, but IMHO, it's just not as good as Ippodo's.

Matcha can also be used for a variety of other treats. One of my favorites is a matcha smoothie. (I usually use less simple syrup than this recipe calls for. You can adjust the amount you use to suit your taste.)

1. To a standard blender, add a teaspoon of Matcha, 4oz Half & Half, 5oz of Simple Syrup, and 16oz of ice.

2. Pre-blend on low speed for about 30 seconds.

3. Blend on high for about 2 minutes until smooth consistency.

4. Pour into a mug and top off with whip cream and a dusting of Matcha powder.

Simple Syrup

1. 1 cup Sugar

2. 1 cup hot water (208F)

3. Stir well and let sit until all sugar dissolves. About 5 minutes.

4. Strain, let cool in fridge and Ready to Use!

All this talk about tea has made me thirsty. I'm going to brew a cup.

Cheers!
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 14:24   #21

Coffee or Tea, just make it Irish-style.

In the morning, at the drive through coffee shop, I like to order: A double shot of Irish Coffee, please hold the coffee." Will try a similar order of Irish Tea.

10 BEST WHISKEY FOR IRISH COFFEE

https://thewhiskyguide.com/best-whis...oogle_vignette
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irish whiskey tea.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	283645  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 14:32   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

It all seems very complicated for no real reason.

Buy one of these
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/campfire-bi...=en_AU&start=1

and then do this
https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recip...ecipe/at2cvdwc

Best black leaf tea I have found is in Chile where they take their 'onces' very seriously.
https://www.jumbo.cl/te-ceylan-mildr...-bolsa-250-g/p
Old 21-11-2023, 15:35   #23

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

https://youtu.be/f7lo98PcZD4
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 11:32   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Scubaseas, thanks for posting that! I got a good laugh out of it. Moral, never fill your kettle with gasoline.
Old 24-11-2023, 04:24   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

If you replace your morning coffee, with green tea ...
You can lose up to 87%
, of what little joy, you have left in your life.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 04:58   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

During my career years I had Europe’s largest tea importer as a customer. He would only become customer if I allowed him to teach me about tea. I was a coffee drinker

Anyway, I had to swear to never use tea bags again. He said that after they pack the tea, they wipe the floors and put that in tea bags

He gave me an electric tea maker. I remember it brewed the tea, then dropped the tea down all at once in the pot. Fully automatic.

Now I use a simple pot with infusion basket. If you like larger quantities then this is one that works great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00179D7IK

I use an induction compatible kettle. Also, this is our favorite tea: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SANU7C

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 08:14   #27

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Fill the cup with water then microwave for two minutes. We keep a variety of teas including Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Vanilla Carmel, Lady Grey, Constant Comment, Royal Blend, and a couple herbals. They.re all in bags. Loose tea tastes the same and can be messy.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 09:22   #28
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
If you replace your morning coffee, with green tea ...
You can lose up to 87%
, of what little joy, you have left in your life.
This has to be one of the funniest posts I've seen in some time. Thank you, I have been laughing so hard my stomach hurts!

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 09:42   #29
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

We prefer no glass on our boat. We use Nissan stainless Thermos insulated French press pots for coffee and tea. Separate pots for each. They never get washed, just rinsed, unless we make 2 pots of the same thing at the same time.

They're still available for about $30 US on Amazon.

We bought two of these 25 years ago and they're still in good condition. Very fine steel mesh in the strainer. Nice result.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 18:58   #30

Boat: Still building

I have used both of these successfully to brew single cups of tea. Although these days I tend to use one brand and 'flavour' of teabags, as the raw tea is no longer available as loose tea. But that is very much a personal choice.
I still have several tins of loose tea that I brew occasionally, when the mood takes me. And then I use a metal teapot with a hanging basket inside it. Or the gauze single-cup basket version below.....

https://www.t2tea.com/en/au/fun-infu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/...-spoon-infuser
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote