Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2008, 09:28   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Excellent pic Moki
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 09:48   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
It's a mistake to assume that the muscle tissue (meat) of an animal contains the materials that it consumes. Chickens, crabs, catfish and pigs may not have pleasant diets, but sweet and tender meat. The same is true for the fruits of plants. Tomatos thrive in the sludge beds of sewage treatment plants and the casparian strip within the root system will not allow the passage of harmful heavy metals or other undesirable materials to the fruit. By botanical definition a tomato as well as a green bean or a squash is a fruit. For what ever reason someone doesn't like the taste of a seagull, it won't be because they have fed from a dumpster. I've caught several seagulls when casting from a sportsfishing boat with ballyhoo, but I've always released them. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 09:53   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
It's a mistake to assume that the muscle tissue (meat) of an animal contains the materials that it consumes. Chickens, crabs, catfish and pigs may not have pleasant diets, but sweet and tender meat. The same is true for the fruits of plants. Tomatos thrive in the sludge beds of sewage treatment plants and the casparian strip within the root system will not allow the passage of harmful heavy metals or other undesirable materials to the fruit. By botanical definition a tomato as well as a green bean or a squash is a fruit. For what ever reason someone doesn't like the taste of a seagull, it won't be because they have fed from a dumpster. I've caught several seagulls when casting from a sportsfishing boat with ballyhoo, but I've always released them. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Plants and animals are very different in how they process their food. Its really apples and oranges...or more precisely apples and orangutans.

From what I have learned from the marine scientists I have had aboard is that many metals and harmful organics (harmful carbon based molecules) are bio-accumulative in animals. In fact, one monitoring study done from the boat is to measure what is in the water column by measuring what has bio accumulated in a couple different species of bivalves. The bivalves are placed in a dozen different locations around the SF Bay. The difference in what they accumulated between a control sample when they went in and what was in them when they came out is measured with a mass spectrometer. There is a difference when they come out. I would not take a chance on eating an animal that has a high probability of having digested food with metals or harmful organics.

Well, perhaps I would eat a gull if I were starving and had no other alternative.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 11:25   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Sure there are harmful substances in the environment and potential foods. If you're eating from the ocean species you need to know of ciguaterra, which killed a playmate of my son's in the Bahamas. Mecury is known to accumulate in higher order carnivore. Any food can be potentially dangerous. My disagreement comes with those who are revolted my organisms living in "mud", "bottomfeeders" or feeding from "garbage". The typical catabolic processes of digestion produces the same array of compunds from organic foods regardless of wether the source is decaying fish or a salmon filet served on the Holland America Line. We obviously, are not what we eat, but the outcome of the metabolism of what we eat. Food bias as a cultural choice is not based on good health. There is no sound reason to keep earthworms, iguanas, horses, or seagulls off the menu and there is no intrinsic safety in beef, scallops, chickens and pigs.
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 12:05   #35

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktro View Post
...Would anyone be brave enough to admit to having consumed a sea gull...
Yes and whilst it's not the worst thing I've consumed, thats only because I've sampled Durian Fruit in Singapore and fermented herrings in Sweden!

Grey, stringy, tough, smells and tastes like manure; if you're desperate, you'd survive on it, just try to ensure you've got a good suplly of chilli sauce in the liferaft to dip it in!
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 13:14   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
David M and Ex-Calif:

Don't like "bottom feeders"??
How about lobster and crab?? Haven't seen them eating
from your approved feed list!
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 13:17   #37

Boat: Tashiba 40
Have you seen what chickens eat, there's a reason they have a gizzard. I'm from KS where the only fish is catfish and I have to say I'd take it over Mahi any day. Depends on the tartar sauce. And talk about a tough stringy bird, try quail.
Old 29-11-2008, 15:40   #38

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Dutch Seagull recipe

I don't think I would ever eat a seagull even if I was starving because other edible foods would be available. But for those intent on eating them, then here is the only known recipe known to exist. Dutch Seagull. If it means anything to anybody, the name of my boat is Seagull.
Dutch Seagull Recipe@Everything2.com
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 20:58   #39

Boat: Cascade
[quote=bobnlesley;228262]Yes and whilst it's not the worst thing I've consumed, thats only because I've sampled Durian Fruit in Singapore and fermented herrings in Sweden!

Swedish herring is great!! Although you must drink the vodka with it!!!
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 21:01   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
David M and Ex-Calif:

I don't mind eating bottom critters. I do like eating ones from relatively clean water. Have I ever eaten them from dirty water?...probably. I probably don't want to know about it though.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 22:41   #41

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agur's Wish View Post
Have you seen what chickens eat, there's a reason they have a gizzard. I'm from KS where the only fish is catfish and I have to say I'd take it over Mahi any day. Depends on the tartar sauce. And talk about a tough stringy bird, try quail.
My sister has chickens and they will eat just about anything, but I have to agree on the catfish bit although I love mahi you can't beat catfish and hushpuppies, but I do like quail.
Old 30-11-2008, 16:03   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
David M and Ex-Calif:

Lobster is alright but not a huge fan. Deep water with plenty of replenishment.

I am not a (big) fan of crab.

Prawns I like.

I'll take ocean gamefish over shellfish anyday.

So maybe it's bottom feeders in slack rivers I don't like. Everyone has their own tastes I guess.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 16:56   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktro View Post
. Would anyone be brave enough to admit to having consumed a sea gull.
One word…… CURRY!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 13:21   #44

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Seagulls. Ugh...

Actually, if you want to try eating a seagull, try one of the ones that hang out at Micky D's. Not that I'd ever get that hungry. I think I'd boil my socks n eat them first.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29   #45
Hal

If I were out at sea and starving, I might try a seagull. When I was a young man I roasted a crow that I had shot and cleaned. It took my mother a week to get the awful smell out of the oven and the taste was such that I could not swallow it. I imagine that Seagull is about the same. However........, please let us know.

Hal
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote