Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2017, 05:52   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Refilling propane bottles in States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelsole View Post
Hi,
I have been told that it is not permissible to re-fill propane bottles in New York state. Is this the case? Are there any other states on the east coast where I will have problems?
Well that's completely wrong! I just moved my boat from NY state (to Canada) last summer and in the process had to purchase and fill an 11lb tank! any gas station will refill propane tanks!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 08:17   #17

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelsole View Post
Hi,
I have been told that it is not permissable to re-fill propane bottles in New York state. Is this the case? Are there any other states on the east coast where I will have problems?
This place in New Rochelle, NY always refill mine,:Almstead Tree and Lawn Care co. ,58 Beechwood Avenue, New Rochelle.
132Cat310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 08:36   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Tanks have to be replaced or recertified after 12 years in the US; 10 years in Canada. Recertification includes adding an OPD valve if not already present. Here (Montreal) recert was the same price as a new tank, but I could keep my slightly-slimmer than most 10-lb tanks which fit my Jeanneau's locker.

I've read the notice that the 1-lb camping tanks are "illegal to transport if refilled" at least in NY State, so I suppose you could use them where you refilled them, if there was any point to doing so.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 08:40   #19

Boat: Pearson 30

My experience filling small tanks intended for single use is that the valves leak after a while. Please be careful with propane onboard.

I recently had the valves replaced on my expensive aluminum tanks and had the tanks recertified. Valves were about $15 each, as I recall. There are 12 years old and did not have flow restricting valves. The vendor that I used is Balgas.
lightsloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 08:53   #20

Boat: 2007 Lagoon 440

I'm in the same dilemma, currently on the hard in St Augustine and running out of Camp Gaz

would you please let me know where you found the converters for filling the EU tanks?
j Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 09:01   #21

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Most hardware stored will do it if they have a tank. I never had a problem anywhere that sold propane.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 09:32   #22

My BBQ tank ran out of date last year. The place I have it filled the guy said "Just go exchange it for a full one at one of those exchange sales outfits at the grocery store. They recertify them before they fill them." So I did. No need to buy a tank as you get a recent one that is full for $22.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 09:46   #23

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Squared View Post
I'm in the same dilemma, currently on the hard in St Augustine and running out of Camp Gaz

would you please let me know where you found the converters for filling the EU tanks?
Are you looking for... Trident Marine LPG Propane Gas "Camping Gaz" Adapter
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 10:27   #24

Boat: Dufour 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
At $133? There must be a cheaper way.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 10:32   #25

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Old tanks do not have the float valve that prevents you from filling more than about 80% of your tank. So your 5 gallon tank is now a 4 gallon tank.....etc.......very roughly speaking.

A few blokes probably overfilled some black tanks and left them in some 120 degree sun.

Tanks should have pressure relief valves so several things must have gone wrong.

Propane tanks are not high pressure tanks by any means. Might get up to 200 psi or so. By comparison, scuba tanks are tested at 5000 psi.

The problem with propane on a boat is that it is heavier than air. Propane in the bilge that explodes will create a very bad day.

An earlier poster painted his propane tanks black. Worst choice imaginable. Should be a very light color or aluminum.

Remember that every time you discuss a good deal on the internet, it is very possible that a government Thought Cop will read it and have it shut down. We wisely employ over a million of them at GS11-GS13 pay scales.

All materials used for heating and cooking are potentially dangerous is misused. Propane is generally no worse than others. Sure is convenient. Never goes bad and works at all temperatures. Propane has taken over the newer boating market. Though many older boat owners love their diesel/kerosene stoves and heaters.

Diesel won't even light with a match held to it. Margin of safety there. But people then have to use butane etc to get the diesel to light.

Propane is pretty cheap during the summer if you have a large outdoor tank.....holding a few hundred gallons. Then you may be able to find a way to fill your own. I will always trust my own equipment and work more than some bloke who is being pressured to work faster than he/she is comfortable.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 12:55   #26

Boat: Beneteau 50

I get my 10# tanks refilled with only one needed change. One place wouldn't do it, so I went down the road to another place. Been going there for years.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 06:03   #27

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Guessing that they are talking about the small green bottles not being refillable. Of course Amazon sells an adapter for around $12 so you can refill them from a regualr porpane tank. Little bit of a pain as you have to put the propane tank upside down and they only fill about 1/2 way unless you put them in the freezer first.

I keep a few that way so that I have backup up in case the big tank runs dry in the middle of cooking a steak.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 06:17   #28

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Guessing that they are talking about the small green bottles not being refillable.
Not safe. The valves just aren't designed to refill and reuse. They'll leak in short order.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 07:51   #29

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Guessing that they are talking about the small green bottles not being refillable...
Our propane refilled said that's a dangerous practice if they are filled all the way, since they don't have a pressure relief valve.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 12:02   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You will hear lots of FUD from propane guys. Problem is, filling stations still have a habit of exploding from time to time.

So refilling tanks (of any kind) is illegal in NYC. Was legal, last I checked, in Nassau County BUT is illegal in several of the townships and villages. It can be regulated by zoning laws at each level.

That's why a lot of gasoline stations and bigbox stores have a "propane cage" outside where they store bottles for exchange, and even if it is legal, they don't do refills. Telling you it is illegal stops most rubes, ergh, customers, from asking any further.

To refill the tanks, they need to examine them, pressure test them, check hydro test dates on them, all sorts of more complicated stuff that the average pump jockey or cashier just isn't going to be trained and trusted to do.

When in doubt, look in the Yellow Pages, online, or call a local BBQ store and ask them who does it. If they're really sharp...your local fire department SHOULD know too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane