Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 07:39   #211

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonytek View Post
The rubber seals and other bits are all in the lid. without the lid a pressure cooker is just a pan. Brown meats in the bottom using tongs or wooden spoon to turn as needed. All the brown bits in the bottom of the pan (fond) will disolve in the liquid when you cook. Just make sure you have at least the minimum amount of liqiud in the pan when you put the lid on.
I think that's the issue.

Meatloaf done in the oven is browned by the hot drier air circulating around. The air circulation in a PC is moist and tends not to brown stuff.

Meatloaf is exactly that, a loaf of disconnected meat. A roast or connected meat can be browned by letting the meat brown for a bit and then rotating to a different side. Meatloaf would just fall apart.

I don't see how it browns either. Can anyone help us PC neophytes?

Frank
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:27   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
I think that's the issue.

Meatloaf done in the oven is browned by the hot drier air circulating around. The air circulation in a PC is moist and tends not to brown stuff.

Meatloaf is exactly that, a loaf of disconnected meat. A roast or connected meat can be browned by letting the meat brown for a bit and then rotating to a different side. Meatloaf would just fall apart.

I don't see how it browns either. Can anyone help us PC neophytes?

Frank
For meatloaf type foods, pre-brown the ground meat, mix with spices (on heat or off, on heat releases more flavors) mix in fillers and form into pan which fits inside pressure cooker. Bake briefly on high or torch to make crust on loaf and lower loaf pan into cooker with water on bottom. Cook til done. Make gravy from water.
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41   #213
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Frank-
Anything will fall apart in a PC, including the toughest of roasts. Consider that a meat loaf is just a chunk of meat with very little structure and no connective tissue to break down: So it falls apart very easily.
Handle delicately, brown on the bare bottom before building pressure, use extra-lean meat (fats break down first), and add binders to hold it together. Rice, bread crumbs, whatever if that suits you. Then remember, it will cook faster than a chuck of less "tender" meat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59   #214
cruiser

meat loaf doesnt need to be 'browned'...usually meat loafs are cooked in a LOAF pan, (bread loaf), erego the name, due to its shape... it is served like bread, cut like bread, cooked like bread...

cooking in a loaf pan holds the juices in the meat... (when done cooking, let themeat relax in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove onto a cutting board that will catch the juice/gravy.. then add that back into the loaf pan, then let the meat relax another 5 minutes before cutting... and again, add teh juice/gravy/drippings, back into the loaf pan, and make some 'chunky gravy'...

burned onions on the bottom of the loaf pan, will make some added flavors to the gravy...

I cover my meatloaf in GOLDEN MUSHROOM soup... (I use GMS on/in everything) YUMMY but, i will cover the meat with the soup and cook it that way.. no browing..

in a PC you can brown the meat first with teh lid off and the PC already hot with no liquids in it, then place the loaf shapped meat into the pan and sear it.. then when you can, turn it, etc.

but basiclly you are making a hamburger shaped like a loaf... it will have a different texture and taste... but will still be good...

if you add some bread crumbs or other binding agent, (flour?), the meat will hold together ok for a few minutes before it falls apart... I am nto sure the exact time but experience will help... if it falls apart, it is still good... just serve it over rice or potatos with some corn or peas or beans, and call it mash... or skillet dinner or meat pie... or ??? heheheh

as for doing this in a larger pan or pot, yes it is possible but more of a chance of the meat falling apart... pc cook faster, as as hellosailor pointed out, over cooked meats will fall apart, even 'connected meats'...

b
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13   #215

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
All great stuff! Thanks folks.

Now I have to add meatloaf to my "things to try" list. All these recipes and techniques sound delicious.

There was some discussion about these multiple bean dishes (8 bean, 16 bean, etc). Do you make these up yourself or is this a packaged thing?

I've checked the local grocery store but they just have single bean dry packages and some canned thing called "4 bean medley" that looks precooked. Do I need to go to a bulk food place?

Again, thanks for all the info and advice. My kitchen has never seen such activity. I think I'm scaring my wife.

Frank
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:43   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
All great stuff! Thanks folks.

Now I have to add meatloaf to my "things to try" list. All these recipes and techniques sound delicious.

There was some discussion about these multiple bean dishes (8 bean, 16 bean, etc). Do you make these up yourself or is this a packaged thing?

I've checked the local grocery store but they just have single bean dry packages and some canned thing called "4 bean medley" that looks precooked. Do I need to go to a bulk food place?

Again, thanks for all the info and advice. My kitchen has never seen such activity. I think I'm scaring my wife.

Frank
Multi bean thingies are usually found as prepackaged, preseasoned soup mixes. Try them once or twice for practice, then make your own.
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 17:01   #217
cruiser

they are usually found in most grocery stores, at least here in teh US.. i would imagine all over.. some have the beans and some seasoning mix included so all you got to do is add water...

but you can buy beans and mix them yourself.. the issue with 'multi bean' soups is different texture...if you have had split pea/green pea, you know it is kinda mushy, with similar sized similar texture beans .. multi beans have well, different...

you can have 2, 4, 5, 20.. up to you

if you ahve a variety of spices, then go for it... the big spice to use would be celery salt.... then a little bit of this and a little bit of that....

if you have a piece of bacon, and arnt vegan, then toss that in also... you can buy soup bones from teh butcher or meat department and toss that in... some people want the bone in thier bowl.. they will gnaw on it and suck the marrow out.. yea, it sounds gross, but i hear it is the bomb...

no, i wont try it.. sorry.. hehehehe

i would suggest not mixing beef and pork flavors... too busy and not really necessary...

and you dont need meat at all.. thtas kinda the point... i like dill seasoning, but go easy... if the seasoning has a LOT of smell, then go gentle.. if hte smell is just pleasant or mild then usually not a problem...

bay leaves are good also..

if you get fresh herbs then use about half the quantity of dried...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 15:43   #218
cruiser

Multi bean soup can be bought in the bulk section of the super market , for 23 cents a hundred grams, far cheaper than anything packaged. Any packaged ones I've seen were grossly overpriced.
15 PSI means 15 PSI above atmospheric pressure, 30 PSI above a vacuum. .
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 21:10   #219

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
they are usually found in most grocery stores, at least here in teh US.. i would imagine all over.. some have the beans and some seasoning mix included so all you got to do is add water...

but you can buy beans and mix them yourself.. the issue with 'multi bean' soups is different texture...if you have had split pea/green pea, you know it is kinda mushy, with similar sized similar texture beans .. multi beans have well, different...

you can have 2, 4, 5, 20.. up to you

if you ahve a variety of spices, then go for it... the big spice to use would be celery salt.... then a little bit of this and a little bit of that....

if you have a piece of bacon, and arnt vegan, then toss that in also... you can buy soup bones from teh butcher or meat department and toss that in... some people want the bone in thier bowl.. they will gnaw on it and suck the marrow out.. yea, it sounds gross, but i hear it is the bomb...

no, i wont try it.. sorry.. hehehehe

i would suggest not mixing beef and pork flavors... too busy and not really necessary...

and you dont need meat at all.. thtas kinda the point... i like dill seasoning, but go easy... if the seasoning has a LOT of smell, then go gentle.. if hte smell is just pleasant or mild then usually not a problem...

bay leaves are good also..

if you get fresh herbs then use about half the quantity of dried...

ADD LOTSA PEPPERS
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:42   #220
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i like to use pozole and menudo seasoning for multibean soup--is wonderful,, with added oregano. sometimes i add chipotle seasoning. is always good. if the soup is too bland, it feels like old age creeping in.. have to have that bit of spice.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 18:40   #221

Re: Pressure Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
janet--home canning works on a boat while sailing only at a DOCK. canning at sea or keeping GLASS canning goods in a boat sailing is asking for slivers and blood.
more realistic ways to preserve foods when you havent a land base is salting, smoking, or drying.
many cruising folk havent land base.--makes a difference in how foods are kept.
Zeehag, the Pardeys attest to the practicality of glass jars, and they have spent their fair share of time away from the dock

I profess on my most recent 5 month trip around Vancouver Island, I had nary a break. Canning jars are pretty sturdy.. and the risk is worthwhile IMHO.

Sarah
sarahwrightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 23:22   #222
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwrightnow View Post
Zeehag, the Pardeys attest to the practicality of glass jars, and they have spent their fair share of time away from the dock

I profess on my most recent 5 month trip around Vancouver Island, I had nary a break. Canning jars are pretty sturdy.. and the risk is worthwhile IMHO.

Sarah
+1
I've canned tuna midatlantic before.
Stunningly delicious months later, done in olive oil with some dried kaffir lime leaves.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 08:57   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

That sounds good. What's your process/recipe?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 11:57   #224
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
That sounds good. What's your process/recipe?
Recipe?? Whats one of them??

1. catch a decent size tuna.
2. put chunks in an old glass jar that has the push button thing on the lid.
3. Fill up with olive oil, whole cloves of garlic and a handful of dried kaffir lime leaves. Maybe couple of dried chillis.
4. Put it in the pressure cooker for about 20 minutes and listen for the "dink" as the lid pops when cooling down.

Reading afterwards 20 mins might not be long enough but I didn't know that at the time. I've since invested in proper kilner jars as well.
I kept it in the fridge and ate it months later, absolutely delicious and would cost a fortune in the shops.

Reading up afterwards you do need to be a bit careful with canning and do it properly, if you get it wrong it can be pretty nasty apparently. But it's not difficult and next time i get offshore hopefully will arrive with a fair stock off lovely fish
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 20:06   #225

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

I recently got a smallish stainless steel pressure cooker. Been using it a lot since. The size is just right for the sink (small side handles) so I let it cool down inside it. I can even put the plug in the sink, pour cold water on the side and it warms it up enough to do the dishes after dinner. Being steel it should not affect my memory... anymore.

Lamb stew, chilli con carne, bolognese, several different dishes with beef, and it has already paid for itself. Try beef with onions and cinammon, a bit of salt and nothing else.

Tags
cooking