Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 12:29   #1
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Poll: Favorite Bars and Pubs

And so, you've cruised the world, or maybe just the coast, or somewhere in between. You've been around.

Q: So what are your three most favorite bars or pubs you've stopped along the way? (and still go if you could!) Also tell me what's cool about them.

========== BELOW ONGOING EDITS ==========================
Below is a summarized list from the comments below. Just add a post and I will update this list eventually with your favorites - new or old! Thanks!

(last update 2014-11-03 12:01 PT)
  • AG - Famous Maros
  • AG - Shirley Heights
  • AQ, Dumont D'urville Weather Station: A truly memorable night, in a remarkable place. I remember Popping outside from the darkened smoke filled bar and hearing penguins and seeing my little 33 footer moored in the ice, in the midnight sun, then back to the bar, the game of pool and the french ladies. Surreal.
  • AQ, Vernadski: not sure the vodka is safe, apparently it can make you go blind. Bring a bag of sugar and any ladies should supply a bra for the collection. it being a long dark winter.
  • AU, Airlie beach - KC's: always has great music and everybody dances, you can't help it.
  • AU, Fremantle - Little creatures: Nice brewhouse and pale ales.
  • AU, Fremantle - Sail and Anchor: sadly they no longer have Red Back on tap
  • AU, North Straddle - Point Lookout Pub: Great view and location
  • AU, Port Douglas - Court house
  • AU, Sydney - Baxters
  • AU, Sydney - James Squire: Nice brewhouse and pale ales.
  • AU, Sydney - King Street Wharf: Most of the bars and restaurants are pretty good.
  • AU, Sydney - Newport arms Hotel: Not to be missed. Great outdoor beer garden with massive tv for sports fans!
  • AU, Sydney - Opera bar on Sydney harbour: Nice upmarket place with an excellent view.
  • BM - Swizzles
  • BM - White Horse
  • BS, Abaco, Great Guana Cay - Nipper's: Good food and cold beer. A pool! Awesome view of the Atlantic with a nice beach. We just happened to make it for the Barefoot Man Concert this year!
  • BS, Abaco, Green Turtle Cay - Blue Bee Bar: Miss Emily has passed away and her daughter now runs it. Miss Emily is famous throughout the bahamas as the inventor of the "goombay smash", whose formula is still a closely guarded family secret. The Blue Bee Bar is almost a required stop for new arrivals in the abacos. And not inconvenient as its along the path to the customs house.
  • BS, Abaco, Green Turtle Cay - Macintosh's: for lunch or dinner (and ice cream!) and Pineapples for drinks, snacks, and socializing.
  • BS, Abaco, Green Turtle Cay - Sundowners
  • BS, Abaco, Little Harbor - Pincher Peter's Pub: sand floor, funky, great rum punch and cheeseburgers, laid back
  • BS, Exuma, Stocking Island - Chat-n-Chill: A big hang out for cruisers in Georgetown. Besides the Pig Roast on Sundays, and cold Kaliks, you can hand feed rays and play volleyball.
  • BS, Georgetown - shack on Stocking Island
  • BVI, Anegada - Cow Wreck Beach Bar: great service and food, beautiful beach, make your own drinks.
  • BVI, Anegada, Loblolly Bay - The Big Bamboo
  • BVI, Jost Van Dyke, Great Bay - Foxy's
  • BVI, Jost Van Dyke, White Bay - Soggy Dollar
  • BVI, Norman's Island , The Bight - The Willy T: is my favorite, so far- great service and food, good drinks and lots of fun people.
  • BVI, Tortolla - Pussers
  • BVI, Virgin Gorda - Saba Rock: great service and the best happy hour in BVI
  • CA, BC, East Thurlow Island Discovery Islands - Shoal Bay Pub: cool place...free pig roast from time to time...pot luck often...music jam sessions...cheap beer...you can use the outdoor pizza oven to bake your own bread...no credit cards....Mark(owner) said to send him a check when we got back to civilization since we carried no cash or checks haha. Everyone should come here once.
  • CH, Hong Kong - Scratch Bar: the best snooker/pool bar around. Expats mostly.
  • CL - The Macalvi: Awesome pisco sours and just a stagger back to bed. Always interesting company.
  • CL, Iquique - Yacht Club: Somewhere different from the average
  • CL, Ritoque - Beach bar and Restaurant: Best seafood empanadas in the world, great people!
  • CR, Golfito - Banana Bay Marina: Great margaritas, french fries. and banana splits.
  • FJ, Musket Cove - Island Bar: The best barmaid (Vasiti) in the world
  • FJ, Vuda Marine - Sunset Bar: The best view in the world
  • FR, Toulon, Le Navigateur:Close to the docks, well within staggering distance. Music is ok if you like disco
  • GR, Chania, Platia Eleftheriou Venizelou - Almost any cafe: Nice sidewalk cafes for a cold beer and people watching.
  • ID, Bali, Sanur - Ibu Dewi's
  • ID, Jakarta - Hot Men's Club
  • IE, Doolin - O'Conner's Pub: Lots of good Irish music, good people and lots of fun. Downside - You'll have to drop the hook in Galway and figure out how to get to Doolin. Then again Galway has a few good pubs too.
  • IT, Nice - Waynes Bar
  • IT, SanRemo - Sailors Tavern
  • KN, Timothy Bay - The shiggity shack at Timothy Bay: They tell me I had a great time there.
  • KN, Nevis - Sunshine's (Killer Bee be careful)
  • MF - Soggy Dollar
  • MF - The Perch: Happy hour is pretty good in my book.
  • MX, Cabo San Lucas - Happy Endings: great service, good tacos and fun people
  • MX, Cabo San Lucas - Tiki Bar: good service and margaritas, breat fish tacos and sushi
  • MX, Cancun - Senior Frogs
  • MX, Isla Mujeres - The Soggy Peso: has the best margaritas; great service, good chips, salsa and guacamole
  • NI, West Coast - Marina Puesa Del Sol: The Olive oil ceviche is to die for.
  • NO, Trondheim - Piano Bar: Pricey but worth it.
  • NZ, Auckland - The Dogs Bollocks
  • NZ, Bluff - Goobers Bar: Not sure what its really called, but walk along the waterfront till you see a bar full of older men. Walk in and order a beer. If goobers in he will swear at you. In our case, still stinking from 7 days across from Hobart, we wandered in. Goober first question was "where you *unts from" we told him.. "hey everyone.. these *ssholes are from stralia" the old fellows looked up from their pints and we wondered if we could outrun them! They looked like hard men, dockers and fishermen. But we needn't have worried, turned out a great night. A lock in till about 3am, by about 1 am I asked goober for another beer. "ya know where the ***ken till is!" he slurred as he slumped glassy eyed over an impressive pile of empty glasses. A great night.
  • PA, Bocas del Toro - The Wreck Deck: the gringa tourists roll in and out like the tide. Seco con leche, $0.75 a round. Bring your own drool bucket.
  • PA, Portobello - Captain Jacks: Order your chandlery with $1 beers, $2 rums and a great atmosphere.
  • PF, Nuku Hiva, quay - The Shack (don't know the name): the owners a lovely guy. The foods basic but great after 36days at sea and most days a few of the locals get together for a jam session of Island music and singing. If I'd been on my own boat I may never have left.
  • PT, Azores, Horta - Peter's Bar: it seems to be slipping on the staff quality/cleanliness side since the old man died., but still a hard drinking fun place with live music and a mix of locals and folk doing 'The Crossing'. Tall Tales and swinging lanterns.
  • PT, Azores, Horta - Petes Cafe
  • SG - Smokey's BBQ:great service and Texas BBQ, good wine and craft beer selection
  • SP, Alicante - Penelope's: nice place for a beer and to watch people, close to the marina.
  • SX, Simpson Bay Bridge - Yacht Club: Love the pork ribs.
  • TH, Bangkok - Bei Otto's
  • TH, Bangkok - Morning Night Bar: snooker/pool for the middle aged crowd. Will serve you well after you fall off the bar stool but never any problems. Great table service and they rack up the balls for you quite quickly.
  • UK, London - The Bricklayer's Arm: next to Oxford Street, nice.
  • UK, Southampton - The Jolly Sailor, Bar & Restaurant in Land's End Road, Southampton
  • UK, The Hamble - The Pub at Swanwick Marina: is a favorite.
  • US, AK, Homer - Saltydawg Saloon: Wintertimes, tourists fill the place in the summer.
  • US, CA, Tiburon - Sam's
  • US, FL, Fort Pierce/Harbortown - Little Bar
  • US, FL, Ft Lauderdale - Elbo Room
  • US, FL, Ft Lauderdale - Quarter Deck
  • US, FL, Ft Lauderdale - The Pirates Republic: Up New River, on the port, just past the FEC railway bridge and with docks
  • US, FL, Key Largo, Blackwater Sound - The Caribbean Club: with a dinghy dock
  • US, FL, Key West - Burnt Out Critters
  • US, FL, Miami - Casa Panza Cafe Bar in Little Havana: weekend live Flamenco shows with the incredible Juan de Alba, Flamenco guitarist
  • US, FL, Naples - The 24hr club
  • US, FL, Pessacola - The Fish House
  • US, FL, St. Petersburg- Lobby bar at the Don CeSar Hotel
  • US, IL, Chicago - Jazz Showcase Bar: featuring live Jazz weekly
  • US, LA, Dana Beach - Turks
  • US, LA, New Orleans - O'Briens
  • US, MA, Boston - Warren Tavern
  • US, MA, Gloucester - The Mile Marker at Cape Ann Marina
  • US, MA, Marblehead - Maddy's Sail Loft
  • US, MD, Annapolis - Boatyard Bar and Grill: Boatyard Bar & Grill - Annapolis, MD
  • US, MD, Annapolis - Davis Pub
  • US, ME, Boothbay - The Blue Moon Cafe: with a convenient dinghy dock
  • US, ME, York Harbor - The Ship Cellar Pub
  • US, MI, Grand Marais - Lake Superior Brewing Co: Every day looks like a special episode of Duck Dynasty.
  • US, NC, Beaufort - Queen Anne's Revenge
  • US, NY, NYC - North Cove Yacht Harbour (Battery Park)
  • US, NY, Seabreeze - Marge's Lakeside Inn (aka Marge's, The Tavern) Seabreeze, NY: An odd little bar. Owned by the same family since the '20s its just another cottage in a row of old Lake Ontario beach cottages. A speak-easy during prohibition, still has bullet holes in the basement wall from the fire fight with the "revenoors" after running in a boat load of whiskey from Canada. Beware the Wisniowka (aka red-pop) It actually caused me to get married in this bar. Many wedding receptions have been held there, but only one wedding.
  • US, PA, Philadelphia - 4021 club
  • US, TX, Bolivar Peninsula - Stingarees
  • US, TX, Kemah, Waterford Marina - Sun Dance Bar
  • US, TX, Port Aransas - The Back Porch: Haven't been back in a while but used to have the best fish fajitas on Friday. I'd eat and drink until I couldn't no more, fall or roll into my dink, try to find my boat on the transient pier and quietly fall asleep.
  • US, WA, Fremantle, Rottnest Island - The old Quokka Arms: used to be good but it has gone up market and lost a bit of its appeal.
  • US, WI, Union Island - Happy Island
  • USVI, St. Croix - No Bone Cafe
  • USVI, St. Croix - The Wreck Bar
  • USVI, St. Johns - Duffy's Love Shack
  • USVI, St. Thomas - Duffy's Love Shack
  • USVI, St. Thomas - The Pour Man's Bar
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44   #2

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Poll: Favorite Bars and Pubs

#1 The shiggity shack at Timothy Bay on St. Kitts / Nevis. They tell me I had a great time there.
#2 The Fish House in Pessacola.
#3 Carlos and Charlies, but I hear they are closed
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:12   #3

I like the little bar at Fort Pierce, Fl/Harbortown a lot. Of course the shack on Stocking Island across from Georgetown, Bahamas. hmmm... too many to note I think!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 13:21   #4
cruiser

Nice choices so far. This is starting out very good. √√
Old 07-08-2014, 13:30   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

The 24hr club in Naples, Fl
The burnt out critters in the keys
4021 club in Pilly, Pa
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 14:24   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Good post Monkey!

None of my favorite bars are in the Islands where the service is consistently poor ,at best, and crowded with stereotypical, monolithic cruisers(we don't all look/act/think the same, you know!).
They are, however, those rare places with an eclectic ménage of liars,
drunkards, writers, capitalists, musicians as well as puppets, paupers, poets, pawns and some kings , (sorry Frank!).

1.) Casa Panza Cafe Bar in Little Havana in Miami--weekend live Flamenco
shows with the incredible Juan de Alba--Flamenco guitarist
2.) Lobby bar at the Don CeSar Hotel in St. Pete, Fl.
3.) Jazz Showcase Bar-Chicago featuring live Jazz weekly

Good luck, good sailing, and remember . . . follow the guidelines of PETA . . . . don't give that damn Monkey any booze!
Old 07-08-2014, 14:32   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

The Soggy Peso in Isla Mujeres has the best margaritas.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 14:47   #8

Boat: Catalina 310

Soggy Dollar on White Bay Jost Van Dyke BVI
Foxy's on Great Bay Jost Van Dyke BVI
Duffy's Love Shack on St. Thomas or St. Johns USVI
The Pour Man's Bar on St. Thomas USVI
The Mile Marker at Cape Ann Marina in Gloucester, MA
The Ship Cellar Pub in York Harbor, ME
Maddy's Sail Loft in Marblehead, MA

But the top for me is the Willy T in the Bight on Norman's Island BVI

But I don't drink much
Old 07-08-2014, 15:05   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Great Poll, have to say can not remember the names of all of them. Here are a few.
Sail and Anchor Fremantle West Oz (sadly they no longer have Red Back on tap )
Court house, Port Douglas QLD
Baxters Sydney
The Dogs Bollocks, Auckland NZ
Turks Dana beach LA
Quarter Deck Ft Lauderdale
Elbo room Ft Lauderdale
Bar in NY at North cove yacht harbour Battery park (when CJ and Tommy were there 1997 ish)
Warren Tavern Boston
O'briens New Orleans
Senior Frogs Cancun Mexico
Swizzles Bermuda
White horse Bermuda
Shirley heights Antigua
Famous Maros Antigua
Pussers Tortolla
Soggy Dollar St Martin
Petes Cafe Horta Azores
Sailors Tavern San Remo
Waynes Bar Nice
Old 07-08-2014, 15:21   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Kstsumi knows his bars...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 17:05   #11

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Levanter"

Ibu Dewi's. Sanur. Bali.
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 17:09   #12

Shoal Bay pub East Thurlow Island Discovery Islands BC....

cool place...free pig roast from time to time...pot luck often...music jam sessions...cheap beer...you can use the outdoor pizza oven to bake your own bread...no credit cards....Mark(owner) said to send him a check when we got back to civilization since we carried no cash or checks haha.

Everyone should come here once.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 20:40   #13
cruiser

I'm going to compile a list for everyone when we're done. Nice contribution everyone!
Old 07-08-2014, 21:37   #14

Great thread - would be helpful if people added a brief "why" though - Something like "great beer selection", "cheap appetizers", "locals hangout", "fantastic hamburgers", "served me until I fell off the barstool - four times" etc...
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 22:12   #15

Newport arms hotel, Sydney. Not to be missed. Great outdoor beer garden with massive tv for sports fans!

Opera bar, Sydney harbour. Nice upmarket place with an excellent view.

Little creatures, Fremantle. Nice brewhouse and pale ales.

James squire, Sydney. Nice brewhouse and pale ales.

Most of the bars and restaurants on king street wharf, sydney are pretty good.

Scratch bar in Hong Kong for the best snooker/pool bar around. Expats mostly.

Morning night bar in nana bangkok for snooker/pool for the middle aged crowd. Will serve you well after you fall off the bar stool but never any problems. Great table service and they rack up the balls for you quite quickly.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll