Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 13:34   #31
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Mayo

Look into cooked salad dressings that are thickened with flour or cornstarch. They are lower in fat and don't need eggs yet are thick and creamy enough to bind potato salad and other mixtures that usually call for mayo. Can't say they are great as a sandwich spread but mustard is better for your arteries anyway.
Old 09-07-2013, 14:00   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Things that you don't eat on land can be become obsessions when out cruising. Might want take a little Mayo along just in case. Opened mayo will keep for months and i mean many months if care is taken not to introduce contaminants. Makes good trading item if you don't use it. Things like popcorn, hot sauce, peanut butter nearly became cruise ending emergencies when we ran out. Hardly ate them before we left.

Fresh from the farm eggs will last 6 months or longer of you seal the shells with varnish, Vaseline, etc. The shells are permeable to O2 which causes them spoil relatively quickly unless sealed. Beyond six months, their consistency got a little funky for fried eggs but made great cakes and lobster' neuberg.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:06   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Fresh from the farm eggs will last 6 months or longer of you seal the shells with varnish, Vaseline, etc. The shells are permeable to O2 which causes them spoil relatively quickly unless sealed. Beyond six months, their consistency got a little funky for fried eggs but made great cakes and lobster' neuberg.
Drifting some, but just how many eggs did you buy to find out they would last 6 months?

And if it was just a dozen or so (meaning you aren't big egg eaters) why in the world would one decide to try to eat it after 6 months? Aren't those the ones you use on the a-holes that just dropped their anchor next to you in the empty anchorage?
Old 09-07-2013, 14:17   #34

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
This really is a strange thread: a person who does not like mayonnaise asking if they should keep it on their boat.
+1, we also keep a small jar in the fridge.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 18:46   #35

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

The rules for a historically, healthy and normal diet for human being's. Historical meaning the past 12,000 years, excluding the past 100 year disaster. If it comes in a bag, a box, a can, or a bottle, don't eat it. Eat only foods that have no label. If this sounds extreme, it is. But nowhere near as extreme as cancer, heart disease, diabesity, and the list goes on. I've learned this, I hope, not too late, and it's really not that tough to do. I think of my Grandparents, they prepared virtually every meal they ever consumed. From food that came straight out of the earth. Food that can be easily carried on a boat. Freeze some 4 oz protein packs, pic up local veggies and use killer filters on the water system. O' yea, if you do this you will find out in about five days just how clinically addicted you are to the American Diet. Sugar, fat, refined carbs, designer chemicals, (that are designed to addict). Frankenfoods.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 19:04   #36
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Look into cooked salad dressings that are thickened with flour or cornstarch. They are lower in fat and don't need eggs yet are thick and creamy enough to bind potato salad and other mixtures that usually call for mayo. Can't say they are great as a sandwich spread but mustard is better for your arteries anyway.

I dislike mustard.

As others have pointed out, we're not talking about gallons of mayonnaise. My cholesterol is naturally low and I feel no compunction to pretend it's a problem for me.

While I don't use a lot of mayo, I use a fair amount of butter. I really don't think the medical "experts" have this cholesterol thing figured out. It turns out that women who take Lipitor are twice as likely to develop diabetes as those who don't ... and they have no idea why. To me, that's quite telling.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:08   #37

If you don't like it, don't eat it. Don't waste space storing something you're only going to touch if it's 1000 miles to land and it's the last edible substance aboard.
Do you eat dairy? If you find yourself confronted by a recipe that requires mayo, and have none, for MOST things (though there are exceptions) you can sub in yogurt (especially Greek) at 1:1 and it works great. Healthier too. (Even sour cream will occasionally do in a pinch, but not as well.)

Homemade mayo is way better than store-bought, but in the hot humid environs of a boat, it's going to be hard to keep it from breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

While I don't use a lot of mayo, I use a fair amount of butter. I really don't think the medical "experts" have this cholesterol thing figured out. It turns out that women who take Lipitor are twice as likely to develop diabetes as those who don't ... and they have no idea why. To me, that's quite telling.
Life without butter would be sad . And I figure 'they' have no idea about a lot more than they let on.

Oh yeah, just to keep things interesting ... it's Miracle Whip or nothing around here. But we call it mayo.
deepblueln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:33   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mayo is one of the thousands of foods that need no refrigeration. All that talk about "refrigerate after opening" is just a conspiracy started by the fridge companies to make homeowners think they needed newer bigger WAY BIGGER fridges to keep all those foods in. (WEG)

But really, if you don't use mayo, and you don't take it on the boat, what will you use to remove the old adhesive from duct tape? Peanut butter?

If you don't use mayo, don't take it. If you decide you really MUST have it...yes, you can buy it almost anywhere and if you can't buy it, you can always make it. If you can brerw a pot of tea or coffee, you can make mayo. (Although if you try making it yourself, without a license, the mayo industry cartel will send ninjas around in the middle of the night to hurt you. Honest. AND they'll tell the fridge companies, who'll send more people to hurt you. Did I mention, it's all a conspiracy?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:37   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblueln View Post
If you don't like it, don't eat it. Don't waste space storing something you're only going to touch if it's 1000 miles to land and it's the last edible substance aboard.
Do you eat dairy? If you find yourself confronted by a recipe that requires mayo, and have none, for MOST things (though there are exceptions) you can sub in yogurt (especially Greek) at 1:1 and it works great. Healthier too. (Even sour cream will occasionally do in a pinch, but not as well.)

Homemade mayo is way better than store-bought, but in the hot humid environs of a boat, it's going to be hard to keep it from breaking.

Life without butter would be sad . And I figure 'they' have no idea about a lot more than they let on.

Oh yeah, just to keep things interesting ... it's Miracle Whip or nothing around here. But we call it mayo.

my husband had emergency bypass surgery in 1986. The doctor and a nutritionist told us with great confidence that he should eat margerine -- specifically, Fleischmann's. I went to the store and read the labels, and chose the margerine with the fewest chemicals in it, which wasn't easy.

It was Shedd's Spread. While there are a number of spreads like that out there now, at the time it was unusual because it wasn't solid.

It wasn't solid because it had no trans fats. By dumb luck I picked the best option for him.

The advice to eat margerine was widely embraced by the great majority of doctors even though the research leading to that call had been over-interpreted.

But as for the mayo vs. yogurt, yogurt will go bad a lot sooner. And as for the mayo/Miracle whip thing -- I grew up with miracle whip and I like it but my SIL will tell you that they changed the recipe, I think about five years ago, and "ruined" it, although it's still what he uses.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29   #40

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Skillful foresight Raku. Wait til we discover all the insidious attributes of miracle whip. Miracle Whip?

OK I gotta up anchor and and get this boat out to sea.......
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:08   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Skillful foresight Raku. Wait til we discover all the insidious attributes of miracle whip. Miracle Whip?

OK I gotta up anchor and and get this boat out to sea.......

I bet Miracle Whip (maybe even with the new recipe!) will also remove tape residue ... My mother always said that Miracle Whip was just mayonnaise with some sweet pickle juice added. Don't know if that's true or not but she was often right about such things.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:02   #42

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If you don't eat it on land, why would you miss it on the water?
I have learned overtime that there are somethings that make more sense to have on the boat that you may never miss on land. on land we have many different options available to us that we don't even think about. on the boat i try to limit my provisioning to as close to basic as possible to save on space and weight.

could mayo be one of those ingredients?

as an example on land there are many salad dressing available these will not be on the boat. could mayo might be a substitute.

I know the saying goes if you don't consume on land dont bring on board. But I am not sure i agree with it yet.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:09   #43

Boat: sportscraft,30-power
Re: MAYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
To store them even longer dip each egg in boiling water for 10 seconds then remove and cool.

How does this work? i understand sealing the shell but thats an interesting idea.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20   #44

Boat: Able 50

You are sealing the membrane that is directly below the shell by cooking it. My longest on this method is 2 months but maybe longer is possible.

The simplest is to buy fresh from an organic supplier or farmers market. Regular supermarket eggs are pretty old when you get them.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:32   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Thread drift here, but while we are on the topic of eggs .....

I try and buy only unrefrigerated eggs and here in Greece they are generally unwashed, which prolongs life further. I coat them in Vaseline. I have never needed to store them more than a month, but apart from the yolk being a bit runnier they are still good at the month mark.

If only refrigerated eggs are available then I give them several hours at boat temperature, then coat in vaseline. They have still lasted a few weeks.

All eggs are tested before use by dropping them in a small bowl of fresh water. If they float discard them (rarely occurs, but still worth doing). It saves breaking eggs into other ingredients and then finding they have spoiled, or worse still not noticing .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote