Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 00:22   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Live aboards: what kind of oven do you have or wish you had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
. . . OK, back to the electrical safety issue. Yup, electrical fires happen. What has that got to do with a new electric galley, given all the other electrical infrastructure already on board? Actually, it’s more likely to happen in our 17 year old 12V wiring system (big project for the future).

Shouldn’t we be safer because we’re removing a fuel system that isn’t used for anything else? Regardless, the primary benefit for us is doing away with some logistical complexity.

Ha, ha. We've had the same conversation with Auspicious, I think several times over the years.

He won't agree (I've already tried), but I, for one, do agree with your logic. You remove one dangerous system and slightly expand one other existing dangerous system. So instead of two dangerous systems you have one dangerous system, and you can concentrate your safety efforts on that one system.

In my book, that is clearly safer.

Plus I think electrical power, while it does cause electrical fires, is safer than gas, which causes explosions. People are killed almost every year in gas explosions on boats. While boats are destroyed by electrical fires I don't think people are killed very often. Fire and explosion are two different beasts.

Plus, on top of everything else, I think that 230v AC systems are MUCH safer than 12v or 24v DC systems, because there is so little amperage for the kinds of power we're talking about. I guess vanishingly few electrical fires on boats are started in 230v electrical systems. Probably 90% or more start in shore power connections. Has there ever been a single boat fire started from an electrical cooking connection? I bet there's never been a single one ever in the history of boating. Probably there have been fires started by hot plates falling over, but induction cooking can't start a fire that way because the appliance itself does not heat up.

To my mind, switching to electric cooking from gas is a big leap forward in safety.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:23   #107

Aladdin kerosene stove and Maxie cook top
lets stay classic
rubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:27   #108

Nothing wrong with an diesel Aga or similar.....and this is only a 14m boat!
pwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:39   #109

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
Going electric

We operate two Lagoon 440 as sailing schools.

Both now have combi micro/convection ovens and we love it.
We bought these 230V units in Spain at the regular appliance store Worten:

DAEWOO KOC-9Q4T € 135

The second ship even has a 2 burner induction hub, and we love that even more. Especially during the hot summer.

We expected to have to go LFP, but so far all is good.

Run from a Victron 3kw inverter and regular lead/acid bank.
4 x 300w solar on two Victron SmartSolar MPPT keeps us ticking with a little care.
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 14:01   #110

Boat: Kadey Krogen Whaleback - 48'

We use propane in our Force Ten propane stove and oven.
I LOVE it!!
PJAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 17:15   #111

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

Believe it or not the best boat stove we ever had was made in New Zealand. Used here in New England
For 26 years. Loved it! It was Propane with a shallow Broiler above a very nice oven below and four burners on top.Email me if you wish me to dig up the detail. I don’t remember the name but could find it
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:57   #112

I use a bigger convection oven for quick crispy cheesy things as well as pizza which, if you enjoy, size your convection oven accordingly. My pizza stone just fits in my Wolgang Puck oven and while it's power hungry, it does a great job.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 14:03   #113

Boat: Navigator Pilot House 53'

You definitely need to check air fryers. I baked muffins this morning...came out better than in a regular oven. The brand I have is Gowise.
markguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 15:02   #114

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I am happy that he did the right thing and shut **** down
Better that than being like other parts of the world where its pretty much out of control.
Fear is a terrible thing...
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 15:43   #115

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Fear is a terrible thing...
Stupidity and delusion is worse
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 19:21   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Stupidity and delusion is worse
The actual numbers dont warrant the response
Old 07-12-2020, 22:34   #117

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The actual numbers dont warrant the response
Tell that to the families of the 290,000 who have died there in the US.
I'm sure they would have a different and more logical opinion based on facts and this thing called science.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:33   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Tell that to the families of the 290,000 who have died there in the US.
I'm sure they would have a different and more logical opinion based on facts and this thing called science.
Asking people who have lost family would be an exercise in feelings and opinions not scientific facts.

290,000 out of 11 million who have been diagnosed out of 400 million population.
11 million ÷ 400 million = .0275 infection rate.
290,000 ÷ 11 million = .0263 death rate of the infected
290,000 ÷ 400 million population = .000725 death rate vs total population.
Those are the scientific facts.
Old 26-02-2022, 18:12   #119

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

This thread is a couple years old, but seeing there has been improvements over the last 2 years, It may be a time to revisit this.

I rebuilt my mid 80's propane stove/oven and put some modern insulation into it. The valves and controls look like they need a good refit to realistically operate regularly. I can make it work but the parts are difficult to get ahold of and for the typical semifunctional marine stove/oven. The Dickensian stove I want is in the $2800 range so not in the cards right now, neither is a full galley remodel. Looking at some middle of the road options that can be adapted to a fumbled setup later. Also very curious about the power requirements for an electric oven as this maybe a on shore power/generator option only even with a big battery bank.

Over on the Sail Life YouTube channel there's a few videos ~2 years back where he build a gimbled box sized for standard house sized ovens. The top fit an induction cooktop. Looks like standard oven/cooktop sizes in the US are 24", 27", and 30" wide. The 24" size is just slightly larger than a marine stove. The 27" has a lot more capacity without losing too much space. The 30" is far to large for most boats. The induction cooktops follow those sizes. More expensive however you get a full size oven and appears to be better quality overall. Some of the nicer ones are all stainless. The pro here is the standardized sizes and you can swap out for another home model fairly easy.

Currently thinking about pulling the almost useless stove out and installing a non gimbaled cooktop with a shelf below for a countertop airfry/convection oven. I'm still in refit stage and have a couple years before I have to address the galley with more focus. I would rather spend money on the other refit projects I have going on right now. The big con against the countertop units is while better than my current oven, they are just a shy but too small. Would prefer to be able to cook a small chicken or turkey. I guess I could live with an oven that holds and maintains a regular higher temperature lol

I also just recently stumbled on 1/4, and 1/2 size commercial countertop ovens. There were some used ones on eBay for decent prices. The 1/2 size had a better size, but you had to check the dimensions as several are on the wider side and won't fit. I did find several that are 23" wide and much deeper than the home countertop oven. Looks like these are insulated better. 22"-23" is the size of of the old stove/oven so no modifications. Looks like these are built heavier duty as well, and are mostly all stainless construction, both of which are good qualities on a boat. I am assuming the commercial units are not as power economical.

Has anyone installed a home or commercial oven in their boat? Or are the standard countertop toaster/convection oven/airfryer a better fit for the money
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 18:37   #120

GN - Espace are the best ovens I have seen on yachts recently. They are purpose made marine appliances in several sizes and configurations
They have a marine induction unit with gimbals etc
kiwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven