Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2022, 13:59   #1

Magma Barbeque - or other propane grill recommendations?

I have been looking for a good portable barbeque grill and noticed this thread.
http://https://www.cruisersforum.com...rs-203695.html
Have they improved since then? I'm finding reviews that vary from calling them great to don't waste your money.
I'm planning on using one for camping in higher elevations but figure you folks might know what works and what doesn't?

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 14:47   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Magma Barbeque - or other propane grill recommendations?

We thought about a gas grill but decided for this instead:

https://www.amazon.de/Airbroil-Table...ons&psc=1&th=1

It's got a little fan and uses charcoal Briketts very very efficient. Typically we can BBQ stuff for the two of us with 3-4 briketts.

We added an ikea wok as lid and replaced the battery compartment with a USB power bank. That way we can make sure the little fan inside never stops until the BBQ is cooled down again.
Added plus, firm standing and you can touch the outside when in use. It does not get hot due to a double skin.
So in the unlikely event that you have something burning with big flames you can grab it at anytime and chuck it overboard.
The double skin makes it also clean to use.

Very little flames and smoke on startup convinced us that it is catamaran safe when used under surveillance in the cockpit.

For the small price we are super impressed. The ikea lid makes a big difference.
Old 07-10-2022, 16:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
We thought about a gas grill but decided for this instead:

https://www.amazon.de/Airbroil-Table...ons&psc=1&th=1

It's got a little fan and uses charcoal Briketts very very efficient. Typically we can BBQ stuff for the two of us with 3-4 briketts.

We added an ikea wok as lid and replaced the battery compartment with a USB power bank. That way we can make sure the little fan inside never stops until the BBQ is cooled down again.
Added plus, firm standing and you can touch the outside when in use. It does not get hot due to a double skin.
So in the unlikely event that you have something burning with big flames you can grab it at anytime and chuck it overboard.
The double skin makes it also clean to use.

Very little flames and smoke on startup convinced us that it is catamaran safe when used under surveillance in the cockpit.

For the small price we are super impressed. The ikea lid makes a big difference.
Hmm, interesting, especially only needing 4 briquettes. I did a search here on the US Amazon site and didn't find one. I'm sure that shipping from Europe would be prohibitive but thanks. I will try to search for it over here. Again, thanks for the tip.

Old 07-10-2022, 17:25   #4

Boat: New Horizons 25'

I love my Kuuma grill. Used it on my boat and for car camping too, never had a problem at all. I have an offset railing bracket, it works great and doesn't slip.
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 17:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDes View Post
I love my Kuuma grill. Used it on my boat and for car camping too, never had a problem at all. I have an offset railing bracket, it works great and doesn't slip.
Thanks. I will be researching every suggestion made here till I find the right one.

Old 07-10-2022, 18:13   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Have owned numerous grills on the boat but by far the best one we’ve owned is the Weber Q1000.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 18:19   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

If you are camping at high elevations, how much fuel do you want to carry up there with you? Charcoal may not seem overly heavy, but it can take up a lot of space. Briquettes are a fire hazard too. Will you need to carry extra water to make sure they are totally extinguished? Many harbors do not like people dumping their ashes into the water that has been expensive to dredge. We use a gas Magma grill that measures 18" x 9". It has clamps to hold it securely on the stern rail and legs if we want to take it ashore. Works well for us.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 19:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
If you are camping at high elevations, how much fuel do you want to carry up there with you? Charcoal may not seem overly heavy, but it can take up a lot of space. Briquettes are a fire hazard too. Will you need to carry extra water to make sure they are totally extinguished? Many harbors do not like people dumping their ashes into the water that has been expensive to dredge. We use a gas Magma grill that measures 18" x 9". It has clamps to hold it securely on the stern rail and legs if we want to take it ashore. Works well for us.
Sorry, should have specified. I'll be car camping but with a tent.
You're happy with your Magma? Can you post model and vintage please?
The Magma originally caught my eye till I started reading mixed reviews about it. I then started searching for other options with reviews. I think they mostly said the regulator was cheesy.

Old 07-10-2022, 20:16   #9

Boat: Columbia 50

I can’t follow the link you posted, but I have a magma Catalina II infrared - and like it very much. Off season it comes off the boat, and has built in legs, so it sits on my porch for winter grilling.

They’re pricy, but hold up very well compared to webers and such (all stainless)

Matt
mlydon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 20:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I can’t follow the link you posted, but I have a magma Catalina II infrared - and like it very much. Off season it comes off the boat, and has built in legs, so it sits on my porch for winter grilling.

They’re pricy, but hold up very well compared to webers and such (all stainless)

Matt
Thanks Matt. That one looks quite interesting.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:52   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

To avoid repeating myself, check out this thread:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3689615

I'm not a fan of either Magma or Weber Q any more. Owned both, never will again.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 14:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Sorry, should have specified. I'll be car camping but with a tent.
You're happy with your Magma? Can you post model and vintage please?
The Magma originally caught my eye till I started reading mixed reviews about it. I then started searching for other options with reviews. I think they mostly said the regulator was cheesy.
IIRC ours is a Catalina. It's about four years old. Seems to heat up quickly. Have not had trouble with the regulator.
Old 08-10-2022, 15:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
IIRC ours is a Catalina. It's about four years old. Seems to heat up quickly. Have not had trouble with the regulator.
Is yours an infra red grill? That's what I'm seeing in the Catalina series.

Old 08-10-2022, 17:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Is yours an infra red grill? That's what I'm seeing in the Catalina series.
Don't think so. Gas goes on and it lights. We close the lid until it gets heated up, and we cook on it. Nice in the summer to cook without heating up the cabin.
Old 08-10-2022, 18:00   #15

Boat: B423

We have a Magma Marine Kettle Gas Grill. It gets to temperature very quickly and I think heating is pretty even. The size is perfect for two people. Cooking for four could be a challenge.

We bought it at the beginning of the summer, so no longevity report. It uses 1lb disposable tanks and I bought an adapter that works with our onboard 10lb tanks.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, Grill, men, propane