Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 18:18   #1

Limes For Cruisers!

I can't imagine living without them.

Are they everywhere people go cruising? How much do they cost? How many do you buy at a time when you provision? Is there anywhere you can't get them? What are the best kinds?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	131488  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 18:49   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
re: Limes For Cruisers!!!

I share your passion for limes... and here are my experiences re your questions:

unfortunately, they are not everywhere, at least not all the time. In such places as VAnuatu they are seasonal and imported ones are not available once away from pt Vila. I suspect that this is true in many third world cruising grounds.

They range from nearly free to bloody expensive! Here in Oz, we see prices of ~30 AUD/kg regularly (that's a couple of bucks each). In season, they drop to ~5 AUD/kg, which is bad enough!

When they are cheap, we buy them by the dozen, and wrap them in Aluminium foil. They last for a few weeks like that, depending on their age when picked and when actually sold. When they are at their price peak, we tend to grimace and walk on by.

We spend most of our time in tropical or near tropical areas when away from civilization, and there they are usually available in season. I suspect there are indeed places where they are never available.

The best kinds? I dunno! The little "limones nacional" sold in Baja are pretty damn good, and always inexpensive. Don't see that sort out here, and what are sold here are usually labeled "Tahitian limes", whatever that means. They are quite flavourful too...

What is really good to find are locations where both limes and good rum are cheap!

Jim
Old 20-09-2016, 18:55   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

I still have trouble picking good ones. There are 2 kinds in Central America. Little small jobs and the regular size. You never know when which will be at the market. You can cook with Lime Juice! (no propane.)
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 18:56   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Thank you Jim. Your comments are informative. I've wondered if there was a "lime powder" to reconstitute when needed. So far, I've only found citric acid...very poor substitute!
Old 20-09-2016, 19:10   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Thank you Jim. Your comments are informative. I've wondered if there was a "lime powder" to reconstitute when needed. So far, I've only found citric acid...very poor substitute!

Reading the news today we find out that citric acid is a component to bomb making. Stick to Limons.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 19:14   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Lime powder? Takes all the benefit away

Same as concentrate. World killer.

Fresh is best. Most countries without limes have lemons. Sometimes the limes and lemons are the same thing... it was somewhere...?? Grenada?? The shop keeper thought limes were just baby green lemons. Maybe it was Egypt. That's the sort of thing they do there.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 19:41   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

The thing that the US calls a Key Lime, is found just about everywhere in sub-tropical and tropical locations and is known by many local names ( Here it is called a "muli").

They originated in SE Asia, but has spread around the world.
Prices vary widely, but in many parts of the world they cost 1-2 bucks per kg.

Another common variety in SE Asia, especially Philippines is Kalamansi (or Calamansi) - it's a bit sweeter - more like a cross between and orange and a key lime.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 19:53   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post

I've found a few drops of this stuff is pretty good in the absence of the real thing.

Lime Juice 300mL - Edlyn
Old 20-09-2016, 19:59   #9

Boat: Able 50

Jim is right about Vanuatu and New Caledonia and the Solomons are the same. Outside of a short season there are none. Lemons are common. Fear not - what they do have is pamplemousse which is like grapefruit only better.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 20:02   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm reminded that when we first arrived in French Polynesia from Mexico, still had a lot of rum, limes all gone... what to do? Local limes were fiercely expensive (like most fresh stuff in those days), but there was a pomplemousse (grapefruit) concentrate for a reasonable cost. We found that that, water and rum mixed tasted pretty good... and thus was born the "Rumplemousse" cocktail on board Insatiable!

Oh, the horrors that cruisers must suffer...

Jim
Old 20-09-2016, 20:30   #11

Boat: Able 50

Rum goes very well with coconut water. Cut the top off a green coconut and pour a shot in.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 23:28   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I love sour citrus. The little limes that we call Key Limes are wonderful. There is a small fruit that looks like a tiny orange called calomondin that is even better. Sour orange and Meyer Lemons are both good lime substitutes.

Like key lime pie? Make calomondin pie, it's better! My wife uses chocolate wafers instead of graham crackers to make the crust.
Old 20-09-2016, 23:33   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I love sour citrus. The little limes that we call Key Limes are wonderful. There is a small fruit that looks like a tiny orange called calomondin that is even better. Sour orange and Meyer Lemons are both good lime substitutes.

Like key lime pie? Make calomondin pie, it's better! My wife uses chocolate wafers instead of graham crackers to make the crust.
Calomondin is another name for Calamansi or Kalamansi mentioned above.
Old 21-09-2016, 01:48   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Limes For Cruisers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm reminded that when we first arrived in French Polynesia from Mexico, still had a lot of rum, limes all gone... what to do? Local limes were fiercely expensive (like most fresh stuff in those days), but there was a pomplemousse (grapefruit) concentrate for a reasonable cost. We found that that, water and rum mixed tasted pretty good... and thus was born the "Rumplemousse" cocktail on board Insatiable!

Oh, the horrors that cruisers must suffer...

Jim
You are very lucky you didn't arrive in FP with lots of limes and no rum.....

The French have their taste buds up their bottoms when it comes to rum.

If you ever pass by Campo Pinguino drop in and you can have have as many limes as you want. We have an ancient lime tree and I struggle to keep up with output... I juice most of them and cut the juice with assorted oranges from my other trees.

Dunno what the variety is.... was told by a seriously old bloke many many years ago but have long since forgotten... quite common in the colonies around the time of Federation and still a lot of old trees hereabouts. I imagine the stock came from India. Roundish, yellow, knobbly....
Old 21-09-2016, 08:36   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Limes For Cruisers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Calomondin is another name for Calamansi or Kalamansi mentioned above.
Thanks Stu. That's the problem with using common names instead of the Latin name. The same thing can be called by many different names.