Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-05-2020, 08:22   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Induction vs Gas Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I have a pressure gauge between the solenoid and the tank. I don’t see that as a problem. I can do a leak-down test by leaving the solenoid engaged and turning off gas at the tank valve. I have not currently done regular testing. I will now. I don’t find it onerous. I can set up and write down the pressure before bed and check the pressure again in the morning before starting coffee. That should be enough time. *grin*

I like the simplicity of a bubble tester. It’s on my list. I question whether the added convenience is worth two extra connections, albeit inside the separate vented propane locker.

In my opinion, regular checks of the entire system for leaks are really important for reasonable gas safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
This story cropped up in the last few days. For the fire/explosion discussion please consider:

It is not lost on me that the crew survived apparently without significant injury. They were fortunate the incident occurred when both were awake. I am disturbed by what appears to be poor firefighting skills (the implication they would have opened the engine compartment if they could). One or both could have easily died.

Relatively few people seem to actually die in boat fires, as horrifying as they are.

Note that there is a really big difference in the boat being destroyed in 40 minutes, vs 40 milliseconds -- that's the difference between fire and explosion.

Another note about boat fires -- according to the Boat US statistics I saw, only 7% or something of boat fires come from AC power systems. I think AC power systems are relatively safe, especially 230v ones, with just a few obvious weak points -- shore power connection being the main one, and I would bet (although the statistics don't break it out) this is the origin of the large majority of AC power system caused fires. Most electrical fires come from DC systems.

That doesn't stop me from being careful with AC power, checking tightness of connections, inspecting cabling, shooting the infrared thermometer. But I probably wouldn't do all that, or at least not so frequently, if I were not a very heavy user of AC power, doing even heating on board with it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking