Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 21:07   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Gulf Coast Mullet

Tamicatana, you are misinformed. Mullet are not filter feeders but they are vegetarians. You absolutely can catch them with a hook and line. I've even heard of people catching them on flys.

"Why do the mullet jump?" Because they can? Seriously I've asked a friend of mine who has a doctorate in fishology or some such, anyway he's really smart when it comes to mullet. His business card even has a picture of a mountain mullet on it. He really doesn't know why they jump. Yes sometimes it is to get away from predators other times they just seem to do it for fun. Another theory is that they are trying to get rid of parasites.
Old 25-03-2013, 21:50   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Hay now ! don't get personal here LOL we have 2 types of Mullet down the bayou, Chanel Mullet And Black mullet. Chanel Mullet are good eatin if ya clean it and eat it the same day ! So don't go sayin Cajuns don't be knowin about mullet ! LOL
Old 26-03-2013, 06:30   #18

Boat: never mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Tamicatana, you are misinformed. Mullet are not filter feeders but they are vegetarians. You absolutely can catch them with a hook and line. I've even heard of people catching them on flys.

"Why do the mullet jump?" Because they can? Seriously I've asked a friend of mine who has a doctorate in fishology or some such, anyway he's really smart when it comes to mullet. His business card even has a picture of a mountain mullet on it. He really doesn't know why they jump. Yes sometimes it is to get away from predators other times they just seem to do it for fun. Another theory is that they are trying to get rid of parasites.
Because they can! Right!
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 06:50   #19

You should have seen em jumping around the dock yesterday. We had a couple of dolphin herding em up and chowing down and they went APE. I'm still amazed every time I'm sitting on the dock and a dolphin blows half a boat length from me. Apparently they like to hunt under the floating docks. Starting to understand why folks hang out down here in Florida.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 06:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
In addition to freshly caught and fried, smoked mullet is a gift from the gods. I've been known to go way out of my way down to Cedar Key (Fl.) to find some.
Got a couple of first class fish smoking shops down in the St Pete area. With luck I'm gonna be parked right behind one soon.
Old 27-03-2013, 13:35   #21
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I met a family that lived on mullet they caught while building a trimaran in Florida. I can't comment on the taste but they were a healthy family of four.
Old 28-03-2013, 10:24   #22

The eyes freak me out a little. The giant clear eye bubbles with the big eyeballs moving around inside.......it's like they're really looking at you.......until they're in the frying pan.
Old 28-03-2013, 19:55   #23

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Gulf Coast Mullet

I can't live happily without smoked fish.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 20:33   #24

Boat: no i do not need finacing

mullet is common in the diet of country ppl and in the fishing communities in on the west cost around Dixie county, fried is very common and when i cast net an abundance the are ALWAYS 100s of families that are very grateful for any excess, there are other species of fish that are better suited for me to smoke or fry, the fact they are extremely easy to net makes it easy to get dinner up or help many other families out.
Oogie is offline   Reply With Quote