Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 18:51   #1

Going Green Garden Club

http://theindigenouspeople.com/2016/07/22/if-you-see-this-weed-growing-in-your-yard-dont-pick-it-heres-why/2/
This weed is incredible!

Anyone growing their own afloat? I'm researching what and how to bring a greenhouse onboard. I'd love insider tips from the green thumbs out there looking for the green flash.

Green puns over.
Have a nice evening.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 19:07   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Going Green Garden Club

Hmm, guess I'll have to get some seeds and give this a try:

How to Grow Purslane Microgreens in a Container

(Looks like I can get them in Aus next time I'm down there!)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 19:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hmm, guess I'll have to get some seeds and give this a try:

How to Grow Purslane Microgreens in a Container

(Looks like I can get them in Aus next time I'm down there!)
I'm out here with a flashlight!

Do you know of any particular brands or DIY channels to pursue regarding the containers designed to be on deck?

I've got an idea for hexagonal, interlocking, 3 liter containers..might try to make them myself if nothing good is available..
Old 26-08-2016, 09:24   #4

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

There's only a couple of us on this forum successfully doing it. But there are a couple threads on it. I highly recommend using the kratky method for growing lettuce. there's a YouTuber called mhpgardener that shows you how to do it. For container gardening you need a reservoir otherwise the plants will dry out too fast. I also recommend having a cover, I use a shower curtain. during storms even at anchor the salt spray will kill your plants( if you have room for Greenhouse even better) . My favorites are perennials that will grow for several years continuously producing . my favorites among perennials are kale and swiss chard( which are both cold and heat resistant). Green onion is probably the easiest to grow just buy at the grocery store, cut off the greens and plant the bulbs continuously cutting the greens off as they grow, eventually the greens get smaller and smaller until it's worth replacing. If you want to grow tomatoes I suggest sweet 100 cherry tomatoes they're high producers and taste great. I am currently growing Everglades tomatoes which are very Hardy but produce little and the tomatoes tend to fall off. I would not try to have a garden on board without a rain catchment system. each container uses at least a gallon of water a day . I also have an easy green sprouter which can produce a lot of greens including wheatgrass. And I like to sprout my beans before I cook them makes them more digestible and takes less time to cook.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 09:42   #5

Photo of kratky method
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472229745489.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	130122  
Old 26-08-2016, 09:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
There's only a couple of us on this forum successfully doing it. But there are a couple threads on it. I highly recommend using the kratky method for growing lettuce. there's a YouTuber called mhpgardener that shows you how to do it. For container gardening you need a reservoir otherwise the plants will dry out too fast. I also recommend having a cover, I use a shower curtain. during storms even at anchor the salt spray will kill your plants( if you have room for Greenhouse even better) . My favorites are perennials that will grow for several years continuously producing . my favorites among perennials are kale and swiss chard( which are both cold and heat resistant). Green onion is probably the easiest to grow just buy at the grocery store, cut off the greens and plant the bulbs continuously cutting the greens off as they grow, eventually the greens get smaller and smaller until it's worth replacing. If you want to grow tomatoes I suggest sweet 100 cherry tomatoes they're high producers and taste great. I am currently growing Everglades tomatoes which are very Hardy but produce little and the tomatoes tend to fall off. I would not try to have a garden on board without a rain catchment system. each container uses at least a gallon of water a day . I also have an easy green sprouter which can produce a lot of greens including wheatgrass. And I like to sprout my beans before I cook them makes them more digestible and takes less time to cook.
Let's be friend's Sparrow! Excellent first hand knowledge! My favorite type of information.

I've read that plants can live off the water in saltwater you just have to make a way for the water to evaporate beneath them.

They're anchoring large greenhouse bubbles a hundred feet under water that are producing plants like strawberries in a third of the time. They are pesticide free, non gmo, no maintenance, no nothing but produce.

Still haven't found someone that's eaten the fruit and says if it's salty or not.
Old 26-08-2016, 09:45   #7

It's like a hydroponic system that doesn't allow the water to escape the environment?
Old 26-08-2016, 10:06   #8

I've been formulating a concept for a steam fed system... The steam would travel upwards on the bow side of the mast through three liter bottles, connected end to end and is absorbed by the plants along the way.

Problems to solve include heating element, fuel for the stove. How much steam is needed to produce...a constant fire on board does not sound like a good idea.

Those tiny heating pads on solar might do it, but how to protect them from the salt and moisture...

I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel, but I'm rolling if I can't find a suitable solution.

The list of things to grow include, blue berrys, dandelions, Purslane, green onions, baby tomatoes and kale. Omega 3s, vitamin C, B, protein, and magnesium for the win. Might go vegan and fish.
Old 26-08-2016, 10:13   #9

Keep in mind lettuce will only grow during certain temperatures. This seems like the best size for a boat, you can expand the system until you have a continuous supply of lettuce. For instructions on how to make go to New Earth Hydroponics on YouTube. Edit I would use a smaller basket with just the rockwool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472231507374.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	130123  
Old 26-08-2016, 11:13   #10

[URL][/https://youtu.be/-hfnemXohJs]

Okay I think I figured out how to cut and paste. simple idea just another example
Old 26-08-2016, 11:15   #11

https://youtu.be/-hfnemXohJs
Old 26-08-2016, 14:45   #12

https://youtu.be/KK5vLEwYsKo

Some good points about the kratky method. Using coconut choir instead of rockwool sounds like a good idea.
And some gravel on top to stop algae growth in the basket
Old 27-08-2016, 16:26   #13

https://youtu.be/5z0NaYpVHMs

Just another kratky video
Old 27-08-2016, 16:51   #14

https://youtu.be/IVjCh28QYsA

Okay you don't really need a video on how to propagate herbs but I grew herbs for years and years having them go to seed without realising how easy it would have been to propagate them.
Old 28-08-2016, 12:31   #15

So the Kratky method preserves water. And the oxygen around the roots is efficient in nurturing the plants. Could it work in a tube. Pvc pipe?