Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 16:46   #1

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
Gear Hammock

I really have looked and cannot find a thread as to where I can find a gear hammock or two. West Marine's product has about a 50/50 review,and as my luck runs, you know. Internet search has revealed nothing except full size hammocks. If anyone can steer me in right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Bob
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:17   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Gear hammock

until i got here to mexico i used those white gearnets bought in chandleries such as west marine and downwind marine etc.
i found that after a while, i used mine over 10 yrs, so far, they tend to break.
ok. so i am in mexico. should be easy to find em here, yes????
NO
you must keep the old one and bring to hammock guy and he will make new. so it isnt so hard replacing em.
looking for em without an example will yield about nothing. i found 2 smaller hammocks and tied couple knots in each end to shorten em..isnt quite right but they hold a lot of goods, and i am using one on each side of main saloon for provisions. i will have hammock guy make me a couple of gear hammocks for me using the old ones as patterns.

the chandlery purchased ones lasted me about 10 yrs so i figger the new ones may even last 11 yrs.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 19:39   #3

That was I kind of figured,buy a couple from WM and worst case have a pattern to use. Thought it may be worth a try. Not many hammock shops here in the great white north,but something to plan for. Will order tonight. Many thanks, Bob
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27   #4

Re: Gear hammock

Make your own
Making a netted toy hammock
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 00:04   #5

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
Re: Gear Hammock

If you buy the West Marine version, make sure you buy liquid whipping as well. Without fail every time I have neglected to apply the liquid whipping to the ends, the hammock has come apart. Keep in mind, if it's West Marine brand you can bring it back for a new one every time without question.
Old 15-11-2013, 04:39   #6

Thanks about the make your own toy netting idea. I did that, worked well, but not too cost effective. Where I live here, there is not much available as far as a hobby stores or such. After mailing and all the wait involved with shipping, and then things are not as expected,every hard to do this. I ended up ordering from an outfit in Seattle,and very happy with them and their product. Although I think highly of WM, these guys were almost half price, and product was way beyond expectations. Thanks to all for info,never have enough. Bob
Old 18-11-2013, 18:38   #7

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnCamie View Post
Thanks about the make your own toy netting idea. I did that, worked well, but not too cost effective. Where I live here, there is not much available as far as a hobby stores or such. After mailing and all the wait involved with shipping, and then things are not as expected,every hard to do this. I ended up ordering from an outfit in Seattle,and very happy with them and their product. Although I think highly of WM, these guys were almost half price, and product was way beyond expectations. Thanks to all for info,never have enough. Bob
Could you please share this Seattle business with us? Half price sounds good.
Thanks
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 19:06   #8

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

A really inexpensive gear hammock can be got at an auto recyclers (junk yard). I have two about 1.5' x 3.5' cargo nets with elastic cords, they're great for weather gear">foul weather gear, etc. Came out of the trunk of a Chrysler cost nothing.
Old 19-11-2013, 04:50   #9

That would be nice,if a person could find those nets. I looked for a couple years for that very thing. I believe the ford galaxy of mid to late 70's vintage had same thing. Price of steel now, cars don't last long around here,anyway. I found mine at sail-net.com and were packaged from sea-dog inc. out of Everett,Wa. I paid slightly over half of W.M. Believe me,I am a BIG w.m. fan, but $25 is $25. Shipping was very fast, believe order arrived third day, only know I was suprised when they showed. Cannot swear to quality, still in bag. Looks as well made as any other I have looked at. Marine Max had some in store @ Walker,Mn. These seem same. All I know. Bob

Tags
gear