Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-09-2011, 21:15   #1

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Free and Nearly-Free Provisions

I don't know if this belongs under provisions, money, off topic, or the 500 per month thread so please relocate as needed.

I was wondering if anyone else takes advantage of coupons to purchase their provisions. I know it may seem wierd but I have been able to build a large inventory of non-perishable foods, toiletries, and home products and have spent almost nothing to do so. I am not currently cruising but am using the savings toward other boat purchases and plan on being able to spend very little on provisioning before we take off by planning and stocking up in the months before.

Some of the things I have recently gotten for free or paid only pennies for(or have even gotten money back):

Canned goods: canned veggies .12; beans .34; soups .48; tomatoes-free; pasta sauces-free; sloppyjoe mix-free; canned chicken 1.00

Dry goods: pasta (get money back); stuffing, potato mixes, rice mixes-pennies; cereals 1.00/box; seasonings, granola bars, crackers, and cookies-these all make great coupon deals.

Beverages: gatoraide and bottles of teas or juices for free on small bottles or about a buck for large bottles.

Toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, razors, toothpaste, floss, bandaids, neosporin, painrelievers (easy to get these for nothing or money back)

Housewares: cleaning supplies, bait traps, paper products (significant savings)

Since coupons seem to be primarily for non-perishable items it seems they have catered to our stock-up needs. Also, with "green", "whole grain" and "organic" becoming more common in the mainstream grocery stores there is an increase in coupons for these healthier or less processed products.

I do not know how coupons work for friends across the pond or how it might work (if at all) for those already out there. But if anyone is interested in sharing tips or ideas or want to know more on how they work I'd be happy to share what I have learned so far. Just thought I'd put it out there. Warning: there is a trick to using coupons. You have to match them with store sales or other coupons. If not, you may see your bill actually go UP!

SO, if you are trying to save up for that new (___insert desired boat item____), or headed to the bahamas for the winter (or wherever), this might just free up a couple extra dollars in your cruising kitty.

Hope this helps someone,
Deborah