Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 09:56   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Free and Nearly-Free Provisions

Judy, I stockpile at home too. When the supermarket has my preferred brand of tinned soup on sale "two for one"...You can't get a 50% interest rate at the bank or the broker, I look at it as a flat-out investment. Add "unavailable at the local Red Buoy #2" and it just makes more sense on the boat.

"While in Malaysia and Thailand I purchased toothpaste, shampoo, shower gels " I'm just a little more leary of buying from unknown global sources though, bargain or not. Wasn't it some inedible and toxic glycol that the Chinese were putting in toothpaste all over the world market about four years ago? Colgate brands, dollar a tube at Walgreen's almost all the time, shelf-stable and easy to pack.

"Sir, why you have so many tube toothing paste?"
"Toothing paste? You mean, that isn't mayonaisse?!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 10:24   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are some things unavailable outside usa--- certain tooth pastes, fancy feast cat food, some other things that stockpile nicely. otherwise, many things are only as pricy as the couponned goods at home, so isnt that much saving, but might feel good to have just in case.......oh yes-- root beer-- aint got none in mexico-- havent researched other places yet---
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:21   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

The real hardcore budget cruisers stockpile Fancy Feast whether they own a Boatkat or not. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:29   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

Fancy Feast makes great shrimp or crab bait. Then so do kitties. I haven't seen a lot of coupons for bags of rice, beans & soy sauce. My Wife does the coupon thing and we do save on canned soups and the like.
Old 30-09-2011, 11:30   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
The real hardcore budget cruisers stockpile Fancy Feast whether they own a Boatkat or not. . . .

eeewww cannot figure that stuff on crackers..... is a lot of wheat gluten in it---smells good for an hour or so......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:34   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I still don't get it. Why cruise other countries and simply bring your own foods . I mean Hershey , it's not even chocolate !!.( sorry couldn't resist that ) For example any food you buy in med countries like Spain France Italy Greece Croatia is better then the processed muck we call food.

And why the fascination with toothpaste.

Dave
Old 30-09-2011, 11:37   #22

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Fancy Feast makes great shrimp or crab bait. Then so do kitties.
So when using cats as bait do you use a down rigger or just let them skip along the surface? Way more good recipes for fish. So many cats so few good recipes.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:51   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

I just put them in the crab pot on a stainless hook and drop them down to the bottom. Let them soak for a couple hours. Needless to say we don't have many stray cats around town.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:43   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

All I know is that I went to BJ's Wholesale Club today to get steak because it is $5/lb less than getting at the regular store. Now an $80 slab of ribeyes is a lot to store, but sometimes one just has to suck it up!
Old 30-09-2011, 13:18   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There ya go, Zeehag. You're gonna get rich quick if you snap 'em the distribution rights to A&W, Dr. Brown's, Mug, Virgils...a couple of other name brands and sell 'em just to the expat community. Sell by the can only, never the case, and charge as much as the bars do for a can of imported beer.

Heck, sail back to the States, fill the bilge...take the entire boat and trip as a business expense!

You just have to convince Customs that "Beer" doesn't need an alcohol license...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04   #26

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
So when using cats as bait do you use a down rigger or just let them skip along the surface? Way more good recipes for fish. So many cats so few good recipes.
Chum?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Free and nearly free provisions

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "figured it out on your own". I HATE "free" (TO start) sites, that require CC # upfront.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Oh Man would you love this site...

Coupons, Grocery Coupons - The Grocery Game - A Weekly List of the lowest-priced groceries at your local stores

I did it with the site for a while and then when I had it figured out I went to just doing it on my own...

It is AMAZING how much you can get for how little.

And I live in what is called 'The land of no coupon doubling' where we get less than folks in other areas.

I don't know if outside the US there are deals like this.

Are there coupons in Britain?
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:32   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I still don't get it. Why cruise other countries and simply bring your own foods . I mean Hershey , it's not even chocolate !!.( sorry couldn't resist that ) For example any food you buy in med countries like Spain France Italy Greece Croatia is better then the processed muck we call food.

And why the fascination with toothpaste.

Dave
True it aint chocolate...tooth paste is a conspiracy..same for deodarent.. a bottle of Isopropl alcohol works a hell of a lot better and cost less than a dollar...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:54   #29
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "figured it out on your own". I HATE "free" (TO start) sites, that require CC # upfront.

Chris
The grocery game provides really comprehensive postings each week that allow you to collect coupons ( in a REALLY compulsive way) and then pair up store coupons, manufacturers coupons and sales so that you get stuff at absurd prices.

They tell which coupon to pull and play when and when to hold em for another time to maximize the savings. They produce a list for the store you shop at with the sales and coupons to play that week.

They let you play for a month or so and then if you like it the service costs something like 5 bucks a month. You can add as many stores as you shop at.

I paid for the service for maybe 6 months. Then my shopping habits made it easy for me to do it on my own. I don't buy much packaged processed or frozen food so for me it was mostly canned goods and dry goods and toiletries and drugstore stuff.

Once I had a feel for how the sale coupon cycle rolled I was able to go it alone. But I learned alot while I did belong and felt it was worth it.

I also confirmed for myself that how I shop works for me and that changing did not. I never buy anything on sale that I wouldn't WANT to buy for full price. So I don't care if I can buy frozen vegetables for pennies, I don't do it cause I wont use it. But that box of cookies I wouldn't pay 4 bucks for... hell yeah at 1.74... ; -)

These days I average about 30 to 45 percent savings, over all everytime I shop, off the regular price. Rarely do I buy something when it is not on sale.

Some things I went back to buying at costco because the few cents I saved on laundry detergent wasn't worth it to me. I hated having the smaller containers junking up my recycling and different scents that I didn't much care for but had to use up.

I got excite about a deal on pads for my daughter one day... and now, 2 years later she still gives me a hard time about her 'lifetime supply'. I tell her it will go with her to college and she says she would have to get a storage unit to store it all and that she won't need to buy any until menopause...

But pasta, marinara sauce, soup, toiletries, cereal, baking supplies (not flour sugar salt, those are from costco) I get cheap. Lets me pay more in the produce and meat market and still average big savings.

And I love that huge prime sirloin for 7 bucks a lb.... I dry age it and then slice and vacuseal and freeze... Good eats...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
The grocery game provides really comprehensive postings each week that allow you to collect coupons ( in a REALLY compulsive way) and then pair up store coupons, manufacturers coupons and sales so that you get stuff at absurd prices.

They tell which coupon to pull and play when and when to hold em for another time to maximize the savings. They produce a list for the store you shop at with the sales and coupons to play that week.

They let you play for a month or so and then if you like it the service costs something like 5 bucks a month. You can add as many stores as you shop at.

I paid for the service for maybe 6 months. Then my shopping habits made it easy for me to do it on my own. I don't buy much packaged processed or frozen food so for me it was mostly canned goods and dry goods and toiletries and drugstore stuff.

Once I had a feel for how the sale coupon cycle rolled I was able to go it alone. But I learned alot while I did belong and felt it was worth it.

I also confirmed for myself that how I shop works for me and that changing did not. I never buy anything on sale that I wouldn't WANT to buy for full price. So I don't care if I can buy frozen vegetables for pennies, I don't do it cause I wont use it. But that box of cookies I wouldn't pay 4 bucks for... hell yeah at 1.74... ; -)

These days I average about 30 to 45 percent savings, over all everytime I shop, off the regular price. Rarely do I buy something when it is not on sale.

Some things I went back to buying at costco because the few cents I saved on laundry detergent wasn't worth it to me. I hated having the smaller containers junking up my recycling and different scents that I didn't much care for but had to use up.

I got excite about a deal on pads for my daughter one day... and now, 2 years later she still gives me a hard time about her 'lifetime supply'. I tell her it will go with her to college and she says she would have to get a storage unit to store it all and that she won't need to buy any until menopause...

But pasta, marinara sauce, soup, toiletries, cereal, baking supplies (not flour sugar salt, those are from costco) I get cheap. Lets me pay more in the produce and meat market and still average big savings.

And I love that huge prime sirloin for 7 bucks a lb.... I dry age it and then slice and vacuseal and freeze... Good eats...
7.00 lb..thats a good deal?how do you"dry age"..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote