Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 13:44   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Excel Provisioning Spreadsheet

Does anyone have an Excel spreadsheet that they used to provision for a minimum of a 30 day journey? I am looking for a spreadsheet has foods and amounts (#cans/bottles/pounds etc) taken. The spreadsheet can also have whatever kitchen materials that were used (i.e., plastic ziplocks / foil / waxpater size quantity). I am __not__ looking for what is recommended, or for suggestions. I am looking for what was actually used to plan for the journey and what was actually taken.

I would very much appreciate a copy of such a spreadsheet.

My email address is listed in my profile or we can PM.

Thanks

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 21:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nothing comes of nothing.... speak again!

Damn! Thought for sure someone had something. Did my request come off as rude?
Old 13-04-2008, 03:29   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We have one for our 6 month cruises. Send me a PM with your email address and I will attach it to a return message.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 06:37   #4

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Sunspot Baby:

Any way the thing can be posted as a file on the forum? Seems ot me it would be widely useful.

And appreciated.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 07:00   #5

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Yes I agree with Connemara. I would like to see or down load it.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 09:01   #6

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
Ours is a yearly provisioning list...we do it once a year only but if you're interested, PM and I will send you the excel sheet.
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 09:37   #7
cruiser

Just wondering... wouldn't the list be so extremely personal as to be of little use to others?

I'm sure my lists containing:

*30 lbs of whole wheat flour
*4 vacuum bottles active dry yeast
*5 lbs cornmeal

etc... etc...

...would not come in very handy for those who do not make their own bread or corn muffins.

Provisioning is very personal. I'm not sure you can say x# of this and y# of that. It all depends on what *you* use.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 10:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Just wondering... wouldn't the list be so extremely personal as to be of little use to others?
I agree, it is personal. But I do not think it would be of little use. I don't like reinventing the wheel. I like seeing what other people have done and then adapting it to my use. In other words, I can be lazy at times. If someone has already mapped the fields on an Excel Spreadsheet, then I don't have to do as much work.

Michael
Old 13-04-2008, 13:47   #9

Sean,
Yes, it is personal but your list of 30lbs of whole wheat flour puts a different perspective on provisioning. I guess that is what I find intrigueing. I have eaten out of cans and I do not like it. I have also read "Cooking on the Go" by Janet Groene(spelling?).

John
Old 13-04-2008, 14:23   #10
cruiser

Understood, Michael. I ask a lot of questions on here for the same reason.

Apolgies for a slight detour on your thread... I promise I won't tell you what to bring.

Scallywag: We provision like we used to when working on megayachts. The assumption (for us) is that we are not in any way near a place where we can get what we want to eat all the time. So... we make everything up from scratch. Everything.

Hankering for a pizza in the middle of nowhere? Done - from the flour up, with canned tomatoes and frozen mozzerella.

Looking for a tasty blueberry muffin with that cinammon topping? Done - from flour up, using frozen blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, etc...

Looking for a sausage parmesan hero/grinder/hoagie? Done - from flour up on the rolls, frozen hot italian sausage and frozen mozzerella cheese with canned tomatoes.

Made that perfect salad, but can't find dressing? Done - mayo with mustard, vinegar, etc... you have honey mustard. Olive oil, vinegar dill and garlic, you have italian dressing.

Forgot brown sugar for your oatmeal? Done - just put molasses into regular sugar... that's all brown sugar is.

Our provisioning relies on these culinary principles - to know how to make everything - ketchup, tartar sauce, etc... and have all ingredients either ready dry, frozen, canned or in the case of fresh veggies and stuff, refrigerated.

Provisioning this way, you can be sure to have any meal you could ever dream up while away from land for a month or more at a time.

Again, Michael, sorry. This thread drift isn't intended to suggest what you should bring. It was speaking to scallywag's post.

We now return you to your regular programming...

It's amazing the kind of meals you can have if you do this. Between powdered milk (for recipies only, not drinking), canned tomatoes, large stores of dry goods like the flour, seasonings, yeast, etc... you can make just about anything and all you need is water to do it.
Old 13-04-2008, 14:41   #11

Sean,
Thanks for the info. I did not realize you are an accomplished chef. I am going to print off you post.
Thanks John
Old 13-04-2008, 14:47   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
Sean,
Thanks for the info. I did not realize you are an accomplished chef. I am going to print off you post.
Thanks John
If you go this route, please feel free to ask any questions via PM. It is a little more effort, but when you think about the effort involved in launching a dingnhy to go shopping at some store a mile down the road to buy a ready made meal or pay to eat at a restaurant... it's not so bad after all.

PS: I just passed through St Augustine a while back. Just noticed you are from there.
Old 13-04-2008, 15:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post

Our provisioning relies on these culinary principles - to know how to make everything - ketchup, tartar sauce, etc... and have all ingredients either ready dry, frozen, canned or in the case of fresh veggies and stuff, refrigerated.

Again, Michael, sorry. This thread drift isn't intended to suggest what you should bring. It was speaking to scallywag's post.
No Thread drift here. We will call this a "Sidebar".

Reminds of one of my more less than successful jobs. 30 years ago I was in charge of ordering all the restaurant supplies for Glacier National Park restaurants. Being as severely ADD then as I am now, I simply could not keep certain items in stock. The head chef got ticked off when I told him that we did not have any mayonaise. To this day, I have this incredible memory of him getting a very large mixing bowl with an industrial strength rotary beater, cracking all sorts of eggs into the bowl, turning on the beater, and ever so slowly dribbling oil and lemonjuice and apple cider vinegar. It was amazing to see mayonaise result.

Anyways..... still no Excel spreadsheets. Ok, I will even bypass a formatted Word .Doc and settle for a text list.

Michael
Old 13-04-2008, 16:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Anyways..... still no Excel spreadsheets. Ok, I will even bypass a formatted Word .Doc and settle for a text list.
Well, if you are getting that desperate maybe I can help a little bit.

We are used to buying in bulk (apart from sailing we lived in a remote area for some years) so have a pretty good idea of how much of each thing we personally use over time and so do all the quantity calcs in our heads. But we do have a big check list of over 360 grocery items so's we don't forget any of the things we typically use and you are welcome to that if it will be useful.

If useful to you just let me know and I can drop it into whichever you want out of MSWord, a text file, MSExcel or just jpegs or pdf's of the check sheets themselves (2 A4 pages).
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 16:51   #15

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you are going to cruise in areas where people live (as opposed to uninhabited islands) there will always be food available. It may not be what you are craving or are familiar with, but it is there. I no longer believe in massive provisioning for the boat. Yes, I've made brown sugar from white and made salad dressings from scratch. But that's the point. Those things are almost always available anywhere. To take 30 lbs. of flour, for sample, doesn't make sense to me. It's too much to try to store and keep DRY. Even whole wheat flour is available most places.

MV - I think your best approach is to start keeping a list of what you use while living on land and create your provisioning lists from that. You will not eat things on the boat that you would not eat ashore.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning