Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 13:32   #1

Don't Buy Washington Oysters!

According to all the local news stations, Beginning next month oyster farmers from Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor in Washington State will start spraying the beach with Pesticide for the first time ever to kill the normal ecology of the beach. They are doing this so they can grow more oysters. Washington provides over 25% of the nations oysters. Logically, all the oyster growers will follow.
Just say NO to Washington Oysters and for your own health and the beach until this is banned again.
Spread the word!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Avoid Washington Oysters!

The title should say don't buy Washington oysters I collect my own on the beaches not involved in commercial growing or harvesting other than that I am in full agreement with you
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The title should say don't buy Washington oysters I collect my own on the beaches not involved in commercial growing or harvesting other than that I am in full agreement with you
Yep.. too late to change the title...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 14:33   #4

And the Dept of the Interior closed the Pt. Reyes oyster farm here for more stupid reasons than ya could shake a stick at.

Any suggestions for alternate aphrodisiacs?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 15:56   #5

CheeChako do you have a link to an article for this? I am interested in the the how and why's of such a move.
SV Sedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 15:56   #6

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
And the Dept of the Interior closed the Pt. Reyes oyster farm here for more stupid reasons than ya could shake a stick at.

Yeah, it's called "garlic". The only downside is that you have to breath through your nose when having sex.

What are Washington oysters like? Are they like the flat, tasteless ones we have here on the East Coast, or like the deep-shelled varieties found along the French Atlantic (Arcachon, Belon, Marennes, etc.)?
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
Yeah, it's called "garlic". The only downside is that you have to breath through your nose when having sex.

What are Washington oysters like? Are they like the flat, tasteless ones we have here on the East Coast, or like the deep-shelled varieties found along the French Atlantic (Arcachon, Belon, Marennes, etc.)?
They are delicious and really hard to describe and best if you shuck your own on the beach also the garlic is for the butter we dip the clams in
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:07   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep.. too late to change the title...
Fixed.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

I just came back from a week in the UK's Yorkshire Dales national park. The contrast between their national parks, and ours, couldn't be more stark.

In the UK, people live and work (mostly farming) in the parks, and the goal of the park is to preserve a landscape, including the sustainable way of life. There are lots of small farms that have been there for half a millenium.

In the US, parks must conform to the concept of lost wilderness. If people are currently living or working in the parks, they are squarely in the sights of environmental activism, and their abuses of the legal system. Most decisions are actually reaching in backroom meetings between the EPA and environmental activists, before any court hearing.

I found the Point Reyes oyster farm closure just depressing. No other word for it.

Are there any oysters we CAN eat?
Old 30-04-2015, 16:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Don't Buy Washington Oysters!

Useless scare tactics. Pesticides are used on almost every food stuff, including organic. The danger from our food is not from quality or additives but from quantity. Despite the fact that we have become a nation of fatties, our lifespan keeps increasing. More oysters for me to eat in any case.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:48   #11

@Cheechako,

I was alerted to this awhile ago from some EPA friends down in DC.
There is a certain craziness using insecticide to kill off indigenous shrimp species that is out of control because of diverted fresh water that kills off/reduces the shrimp naturally.

Spraying for west nile virus back 20 years ago killed off lobsters in jersey/NY/Ct./RI./MA.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 16:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Useless scare tactics. Pesticides are used on almost every food stuff, including organic. The danger from our food is not from quality or additives but from quantity. Despite the fact that we have become a nation of fatties, our lifespan keeps increasing. More oysters for me to eat in any case.
I don't think we are so much worried about the healthiness of the oysters, more about the poor farming practices and their effect on the ecosystem.
Old 30-04-2015, 17:05   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I was in the Seattle area this month. I highly recommend the Minterbrook oysters. That is a family business and not a type of oyster. Now I'm back in Bozeman and there is a local bar doin oysters on the half shell for a buck. But only on Tuesday and they are Washington oysters. With the combination of pesticides, artificial ingredients, and preservatives coupled with all that fun I had in the 70s I should live to be 60 at least.
Oh wait......I'm 59 now...........
Old 30-04-2015, 17:17   #14

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

AHHH Cheech! Say it aint so. There is nothing better than a pint of Hoppdiggity and a couple dozen oysters on the half shell. I am bereft...nothin left but sushi.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 18:03   #15

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Cheechako, I will be making my tri monthly pilgrimage to see my Mom in Burlington in a couple weeks. Perhaps we should discuss this personally in the Train Wreck, probably while consuming some oysters and local beer. Keep in touch.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing, oyster, Washington