Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2023, 12:21   #16

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Bowls for Passage Making

We serve hot one pot meals (e.g., stew, soup, chili, etc.) underway in large (16+ ounce; refill as needed) insulated SS mugs with lids, handles, and purpose made long handled lexan spoons (attached to mug with a rubber band...)

They are much easier to manage when eating on a moving vessel, great in cooler conditions, and can be secured like any other beverage mug.

In the mornings, we also make oatmeal (steel cut oats) wheat, etc. right in the mugs. (Add boiling water. Install lid. Wait ~45 mins before eating.)

Just another approach- and may not suit everyone...

Cheers, Bill

PS: It looks like our long handled lexan spoons are no longer available. Here is a similar product that might be even better...
Old 14-03-2023, 12:27   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ha! I have a couple of those stainless steel, insulated, rubber bottom dog bowls too! Why do dogs get all the best stuff?
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 18:09   #18

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Galley Ware fan here. Plus wide base mugs, preferably with lids and insulation. What doesn't have non skid or rubber bases get some neoprene or nonskid glued to it with silicone. On passage we use a big insulated thermos with a pump top in the sink with coffee for the watch coming on. Less spills when it's already in the sink. Helps if everyone likes their coffee the same way. Keep the sweetener and milk in small sippy type cups that won't spill if dropped. Bowls are the way to go when not anchored.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 19:20   #19

WTF.

We have been making ocean passages for ten years. We use regular bowels. Nothing magic nothing special. In all weather. In all sea states.

So much nonsense.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 20:03   #20

Yes, always important to remember to pack plenty of fiber.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-03-2023, 21:47   #21

Boat: Volkscruiser

I love the attitude Sailing Harmonie, reminds me of some boats I survey where they have bugger all equipment onboard yet have done some serious miles.
We are only coastal sailors but the wife found similar bowls to these in the supermarket going cheap. They have been brilliant, we will often leave the anchorage with a chicken salad inside each one so that we know for dinner all we have to do is hand it out.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Bowl.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	272803  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 02:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

WTF???? Dog bowls!!! I would have a few pointed words for anyone who put my food in a dog dish!

After many miles and many crossings, this is the dining plan for vessels I deliver:

• We eat our dinner as a team. Gives us time to chat, brief, debrief and gives me a chance to monitor how the crew is doing.
  • Food is cooked, served on plates or thick bowls that are held in the hand.
  • Food is eaten when served, and while it is hot. Unless the cook messed up dinner, there is never anything left in the pot!
  • If there is any doubt in my mind BEFORE dinner we set a reef. Nothing shoud disturb dinner!
  • Of course, "he who cooks does not clean", they tend the vessel until whoever is on is done helping clean/dry.
  • Breakfast is almost always hot oatmeal that each of us makes when we get up. Once again this is served in a thick glass bowl.

As far as dehydrated, I used them extensively when I raced kayaks. During COVID I did a delivery that-- because of issues provisioning-- I flew in for the delivery. Putting dehydrated into a bowl is waste of time an effort.

Easy way to use dehydrated is:
  • Have a tin cup with tape on the outside for the the necessary levels of water.
  • Boil water and pour into the tin cup.
  • Have the meal opened, dryer packet removed(!), and wrapped in a cheap towel, place the whole assembly in the sink.
  • Add water to the meal, stir and let steep in the sink.
  • Use the towel to hold the packet while eating.

Enjoy the dehydrated meal with some Ritz crackers or flour burrito shell.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 05:39   #23

Any plate or bowl becomes a magic, passage-making, nonskid bowl when it sits on a damp paper towel.

About the only thing to look for are sides that are more vertical.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 08:10   #24

Boat: Macgregor 25

I was looking at these dog bowls for our boat: Coldest Dog Bowl - Stainless Steel Non Slip Dog Bowls, Cats, Pet Feeding for Food or Water (42 oz, Crimson Red) https://a.co/d/dpr6xvL

(No affiliation to the link)

They have rubber bottoms and are stainless insulated and available in several sizes. We’re not cruisers, I just wanted something that wouldn’t slide off while eating lunch at anchor and the never ending stream of power boats blast by rocking our little trailer sailer.
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 08:36   #25

Boat: Hylas 49

Galleyware and Yeti coffee mugs.
Rubber shelf liner on the cockpit table when cruising.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 09:49   #26

$32 for a bowl? I'm telling ya, dogs get the best stuff.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-03-2023, 13:44   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We use stoneware and Corelle. I have broken off 3 mug handles, and broken 2 plates since we left in March of '89. Ymmv. One of the benefits is that the eating ware can be heated in the oven, so that if it is cold, and one pays attention, the dish can be pleasantly warm in one's hand. For when it is rough, we have some old plastic margarine tubs that Jim repurposed for the boat. They had lids when we left, but no longer, 'cause they cracked, and we disposed of them.

We do have insulated mugs for our cuppas during long watches.

Ann
Old 15-03-2023, 14:14   #28

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We use stoneware and Corelle. I have broken off 3 mug handles, and broken 2 plates since we left in March of '89. Ymmv. One of the benefits is that the eating ware can be heated in the oven, so that if it is cold, and one pays attention, the dish can be pleasantly warm in one's hand. For when it is rough, we have some old plastic margarine tubs that Jim repurposed for the boat. They had lids when we left, but no longer, 'cause they cracked, and we disposed of them.

We do have insulated mugs for our cuppas during long watches.

Ann

I like corelle too. It’s thin and lightweight and mine has survived many a drop. I have the dinner plates too but I think my favorite corelle items are my 1 quart bowls. Great for salad or pasta and I use them in place of the dinner plates in rough conditions. I also like that they can go in the microwave or oven. Plus, they seem like a reasonable enough facsimile to fine China, at least for my purposes.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 17:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I like corelle too. It’s thin and lightweight and mine has survived many a drop. I have the dinner plates too but I think my favorite corelle items are my 1 quart bowls. Great for salad or pasta and I use them in place of the dinner plates in rough conditions. I also like that they can go in the microwave or oven. Plus, they seem like a reasonable enough facsimile to fine China, at least for my purposes.
We stopped using Corelle when one finally did break and *exploded* tiny sharp pieces everywhere. This was in our house and we found tiny arrow-head shaped pieces of glass ~25ft away two rooms over. (Large doorways/openings between the rooms.) It may not happen very often, but trying to clean it all up without anyone getting injured was not fun, and doing it on a boat seems even less enjoyable.

AIUI they're fine with being dropped until suddenly they aren't - you don't get a lot of warning.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 19:48   #30

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Search on "Bowl Cozy" on amazon.com or google
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage