Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 10:09   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Baking on board recipies

It’s not hard to make all manner of pan breads. Use various combinations of flour, salt, fat, various grains and spices or flavours, and baking power for leavening. You can use stove-top ovens or Dutch ovens, but really all you need is a quality pan and a way to keep it covered.

Tortillas are similar, and easy to make. I roll mine out inside a large ziplock bag to contain the flour mess. A quick pass through the fry pan, and whalla!

I’ve made bread in a pressure cooker, but because we have an oven, I don’t have the need.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:13   #17

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

.....because we have an oven, I don’t have the need.

Mike.
Ya' missed a big groan/pun because you do have the knead!!

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:26   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Mike.
Ya' missed a big groan/pun because you do have the knead!!

Bill O.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:29   #19
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Y'all love your carbs!

I am still learning to cook on the boat. I really don't like cooking pasta because of the steam it creates by boiling water in the cabin (I run a dehumidifier because I'm a nut about mold).

I did just get an Instant Pot, so I am looking at prepping a lot of the meals at my home, like chicken piccata, then freezing them in tin foil in the shape of the pot, then putting the pre-prepped meals in a cooler to bring over to the boat for the week, then pulling them out of the onboard freezer, and cooking them in the insta-pot while we're on board. I find that chicken with sauce recipes and fresh or frozen fish work very well and very fast in it. I do set the instapot outside so when it decompresses all that steam is outside.

If I'm using the stove top, I'm cooking fritattas in a cast iron pan.

When we first bought the boat we had a lot of ideas about grilling, but we've now heard so many horror stories about problems with grilling out on your boat that we sort of abandoned that idea completely. I do have a griddler a la Gone With The Wynns, but I haven't brought it onboard because it's pretty large and it uses a LOT of wattage.

The boat has been the best argument for us for eating more egg and green plant based foods vs steaks and potatoes. It seems to be more conducive to it.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:03   #20

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft

Carol seems to be the person to study.

My recommendation is not to use recipes at all, instead learn ratios, then you can bake anything.

Bread is best made by weight rather than volume, which is how commercial bakers work.

Baking powder is generally one teaspoon be half-cup flour, as an example – I know it isn’t by weight. Increase the fat,sugar and eggs and you’re moving towards cakes, Less so and your moving towards muffins and biscuits.

We lived for years without a stove and baked rolls on the stove top. When at our home marina, we would make breakfast each Sunday for 10-13 people on a two-burner stove producing rolls, biscuits and other baked goods.

Once you have ratios down you can use whatever ingredients available to cook very well.

We also do not have refrigeration and currently do not can. There are numerous other ways of preserving food. We’ve done some writing about this on our blog and an article or two here there.

Here is an overly-long video that shows making rolls on a stove top and discusses stove top bread baking. The video was made for a friend.

https://youtu.be/6Fi22QJrpEw
johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 13:04   #21

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
I second the recommendation for Carol Sherlock. She and her husband Dave have been liveaboards for years, she has a cook book specifically for boat stove top cooking, baking. Her site also has recommendations for food preservation without refrigeration.
A third for Carolyn, lots of free articles and podcasts and some very inexpensive and useful publications in addition to very experienced guest articles and podcasts.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 15:45   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Hi all

Does any one have a recommendation for a book on baking on board? I have a breadmaker but am looking for alternatives to the normal loaf, so things like tortillas, pita, chipati or any other interesting variation. I only have a stove top (although toying with the idea of a convectuon oven) And If possible in e format as I'm trying to cut down on numbers of books......
Many thanks
Long time liveaboard cruiser, here. What has worked for me is to keep all the basic ingredients for baking whatever, and cook in my oven. Lacking an oven, I would cook everything either in the pressure cooker, without the gasket, of course, or I do english muffins in skillets on top the burner. The muffins are a quick rising recipe.

Imho, you will not want the breadmaker aboard, because of power draw and space considerations. Tortillas and chapatis do fine in skillets.

Someone else gave you the link to the thread with delicious mostly plant based foods, and there you will find my favorite bread recipes.

I'd suggest you transfer your favorite bread recipes to your phone or laptop, and add to them as it pleases you. Of course, you can do this for all your favorite recipes. The ones that are easiest and have easiest cleanup are generally best for boats. Remember to have a flash drive for backup.

Ann