Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53   #16

Re: ANY PREPPERS?

Not until I see them comming dragging one leg behind them, body leaning off to one side and arms waving.....when I do, I'm sure I can out run them....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54   #17
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd heard that there is going to be an impressive line-up of all the planets later this year... Now if the moon and the sun have such an awesome effect on tides in a normal month, then surely there must be some effect on gravity when all these planets pool their pulling power...

Now, I'm no physicist, but could that not cause a higher instance of natural disasters, somehow? I don't know - pressure on tectonic plates getting out of whack and stuff...?

Anyway, whilst it's just coincidence that our scheduled departure time is later this year, I'll be well pissed off if we cast off the dock lines then the world ends. All that prepping for nothing, huh!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57   #18

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Re: Any Preppers ?

I think all the end of the world stuff is pretty silly. I'd like to think it ain't gonna happen, but even if it does there is no point in worrying about it. However there is always a real possbility of significant natural disasters, and even civil disorder when people realize they can't run out to the store for a box of cheerios. So, I'd like to hear serious answers to the OP's question.

RE: Zombies, I'm from Pittsburgh and I'm old enough to remember the original Night of the Living Dead, which Romero filmed in the area. It scared the crap out of me when I was a little kid, so I take any zombie talk very seriously
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
There is NO Mayan doomsday prophecy. Their long count calendar is ending. That is all.

Y'know, even if there were a Mayan doomsday prophecy, AFAIC, I'd be suspect, since the Mayans didn't seem to be able to predict the white men nor their diseases...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43   #20

Boat: Looking for a new boat

When doomsday comes the least safe place you could be is on your boat.

I used to think of a sailboat as a self sufficient life boat ready to set sail to far off safe places at the earliest signs of unrest. Anyone who owns a sailboat know just how ridiculous this notion is. There is nothing less self sufficient than a sail boat.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52   #21

If you have a boat, you will be in a better position than most of the land based preppers. A boat can sail off to the middle of nowhere and wait a few weeks for the riots and anarchy(barbarism type) to die down a little.

I've lived through some 'small' disruptions in supplies for the society in big cities, and things start getting weird after 2 or 3 weeks. Once people start getting desperate for food, water, or fuel and if something bad has happened and prevents the easy acquisition of it, crime goes up, vigilante justice happens...

There are a lot of possibilities that could lead to big problems, and I would put it at a 10% chance of having something happen in the next 10 years (major outbreak, solar flare, oil supply decrease, EMP, super volcano, dollar collapse, etc...). Those who prepare and know how to survive are going to be better off than the unprepared masses. Now, I haven't gone crazy about it, but I have some type of plan for what to do and a week of supplies. It's good to have them around just in case of small scale natural disasters anyways.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53   #22

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Silly "End of the world crap" - I think maybe there were a few dinosaurs back 65 million years ago sitting around a "dino-tiki bar" that said the same thing. "Nah! nothing bad could happen, drink up, be happy."

[Sorry couldn't resist . . .]
So in around 40 to 60 million years there will be some other creature sitting at their tiki bar saying those humans used to worry about doomsday but hell it took 40 million years to get rid of them so drink up we stlll can enjoy life.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
When doomsday comes the least safe place you could be is on your boat.

I used to think of a sailboat as a self sufficient life boat ready to set sail to far off safe places at the earliest signs of unrest. Anyone who owns a sailboat know just how ridiculous this notion is. There is nothing less self sufficient than a sail boat.

Why is that? Do zombies swim?

I would think being anchored in some remote cove would/could be pretty safe, I mean probably safer and better than staying at the Superdome.....
Old 05-03-2012, 12:01   #24

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottygurl View Post
nothing, NADA zilch ????
It happens everyday some are just worse then others. But to outright disqualify this as disastrous is just juvenile.
No.

You completely missed the point of my post and got that steam train a goin.

Schreeeeeech! Brakes applied.

It is reasonable for people to stock up on the necessities for a disaster. I live in Tornado alley and every spring I refresh my emergency kit and rations in case a tornado draws a bead on my house and neighborhood.

I'm talking about these folks you see on TV hoarding up a year+ worth of stuff because they believe the world is going to end, or be hit with a major disaster on or about 12/21/12. These people believe the coming disasters will be world wide and every person on the planet will be affected.

None of the examples you gave come anywhere close to that. In your examples aid/relief is simply some distance away. People can be evacuated or help can be brought in. This is not what I'm talking about.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10   #25

Boat: Boatless

Bad things happen all the time, So do good things. To really put a dark cloud on things..if we didn't have a few catastrophies every now and then we would over populate this big ball we live on a little faster than is happening anyway. People die. I see it in my job almost daily. I may be next. So…..I think I'll make another batch of wine. Seems we need stuff to drink that lasts a while. Heaven forbid the catastrophy happens to me a ruins all my supplies! Cheers
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17   #26

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
What! You don't believe in Zombies?
I do. They are running on the conservative ticket.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:19   #27

We live on the west coast and the threat of an earthquake is very real so we keep a month or so of dehydrated food and a few big jugs of water in the closet just in case. Not going crazy or anything but planning to be self sufficient for a few weeks if bad things happen is just common sense IMHO.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:20   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
No.

You completely missed the point of my post and got that steam train a goin.

Schreeeeeech! Brakes applied.

It is reasonable for people to stock up on the necessities for a disaster. I live in Tornado alley and every spring I refresh my emergency kit and rations in case a tornado draws a bead on my house and neighborhood.

I'm talking about these folks you see on TV hoarding up a year+ worth of stuff because they believe the world is going to end, or be hit with a major disaster on or about 12/21/12. These people believe the coming disasters will be world wide and every person on the planet will be affected.

None of the examples you gave come anywhere close to that. In your examples aid/relief is simply some distance away. People can be evacuated or help can be brought in. This is not what I'm talking about.
does that mean santa is not coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21   #29

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I'd heard that there is going to be an impressive line-up of all the planets later this year... Now if the moon and the sun have such an awesome effect on tides in a normal month, then surely there must be some effect on gravity when all these planets pool their pulling power..
That would be the alignment with the galactic center in Sagittarius. But this can be argued, with precession and all, the accuracy of the timing.

There's really 2 schools on this: Science and Astrology. Pick one.

Science: The physicists say that the gravitational influence of distant bodies is so infinitesimally small as to be all but immeasurable, proven only mathematically to the nth degree. The doctor standing next to you, or the instrument in the nurse's hands, or the oxygen tanks in the room have far more gravitational influence on you....and even those are so incredibly small they're considered a non influence.

Astrology: Open your mind and look at the local universe as an energy weave. At any point in time, the positions of the stars and planets, relative to each other, creates an energy pattern. This pattern radiates through all of existence, time and space. Move one simple thing to another location, for example put Jupiter in the house of Aries, then this overall energy pattern is now changed. Subtly, yes, but changed nonetheless. It is this resulting energy pattern in place when your consciousness is formed that is the basis for behavioral Astrology. Why you think the way you do, and what energy patterns coming up will be favorable, or harmful, to certain actions.

Science: Good idea, a few hundred years in the making.

Astrology: Fun, several thousand years of observations.

Like I said before, you pick.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:24   #30

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I do. They are running on the conservative ticket.
Can we please keep politics out of this part of the forum? There are plenty of negative things one could say about the "zombies" that are in the executive branch right now, but I will refrain from doing so because this is not the place for it.
As for the prepping for the end of the world part, I think that if you have enough guns and ammo, the rest of it will take care of itself.
Closed Thread