Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 02:49   #16

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Who is a 'bluewater skipper'? What is 'bluewater preparation'?

There are two types of Skipper: Those who worry when the land goes out of sight and those who worry when the land comes into sight.

In almost every respect I've found 'bluewater' sailing easier than coastal sailing, but you are 'on your own' out there; the RNLI/Seatow/local marine engineer are not just a phone/VHF call away, nor is the shelter (and bar/restaurant) of the local marina handy if tomorrow's weather forecast looks a bit unpleasant.
All that's required 'extra' of a 'Bluewater Skipper' is the ability to cope with that independence/self reliance/personal responsibility, so it's primarily a psychological rather than physical/technical requirement; other of course than needing to be better at mathematics - calculating the beer requirement for a day or weekend sail is easy, but you're getting into some big numbers when crossing an ocean.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
..it used to be somebody who planned his/her way around the world with "Ocean Passages for the world" & Pilot/Routeing charts & found it using a sextant & tables & paper charts...
alas, no more...
I don't miss using a sextant or sight reduction tables. GPS, predict wind and communication with a shoreside router is pretty nice to have.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:06   #18

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I don't miss using a sextant or sight reduction tables. GPS, predict wind and communication with a shoreside router is pretty nice to have.
...the question was not "what is nice to have?"...
Old 05-12-2021, 05:36   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

to me - blue water skipper means being on a passage of a long enough duration that you are on your own if something untoward happens - weather, repairs etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:33   #20

Bluewater sailing. Long periods of tedium punctuated by episodes of terror. You need to be prepared for both.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I don't miss using a sextant or sight reduction tables.
I like to use my sextant to keep mentally active and keep me in touch with the universe. The last paragraph of David Barrie's book Sextant inspired me to get get serious about sextant use. I read it on a delivery from Cape Town to Brazil. We had a sextant and tables on board. I managed to get a whole load of sun sights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sextant_20211205_094829 (2).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	249357  
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:26   #22

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!
pirate Re: Who is a 'bluewater skipper'? What is 'bluewater preparation'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Our first offshore passage was from San Francisco to Oahu in Jim's Yankee 30. We deemed it necessary to take a 20 lb. sack of onions with us. This was based on an estimate of 1 onion per day per person, for all the days at sea. No idea why we didn't buy separately, for the trip over, and then for the trip back (Maui onions are super).

Here's another chuckle for you. That boat had an ice box. Well, the ice was always gone by day 7. Here's a question you may never have asked yourself: what happens when the lid to the tomato juice pitcher comes off, the pickle jar spills, and the lid comes off the mayo while you are beating to weather to get around the Pacific High? It was a pretty disgusting mess, I can tell you, and Jim volunteered to clean it up by himself. The icebox had a teak grating in the bottom, so it required sanitization, too. Yes, we learned about making sure everything has been secured.

Ann
excellent post Ann!

firstly, your 20lb of onions reminds me of that Annie Hill book... (cannot recall the title now...). read a borrowed copy a while ago, and since, am always keeping my eye out for a copy to read again. such a useful book!

secondly, Jim offered to clean up the picked-tomato-yuck-mayo mess. wow, girl, you've got it good!!! (hats off to Jim!). i once helped prep a boat on the hard for friends in italy, (yes, my on-the-hard stories are definitely adding up...) and opened the cold box only to find... grief, what ever it had been, i'm not sure, but i named it the dead raccoon!!! and well, my sleeves were already rolled up...
Old 05-12-2021, 13:17   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
excellent post Ann!

firstly, your 20lb of onions reminds me of that Annie Hill book... (cannot recall the title now...). read a borrowed copy a while ago, and since, am always keeping my eye out for a copy to read again. such a useful book!

secondly, Jim offered to clean up the picked-tomato-yuck-mayo mess. wow, girl, you've got it good!!! (hats off to Jim!). i once helped prep a boat on the hard for friends in italy, (yes, my on-the-hard stories are definitely adding up...) and opened the cold box only to find... grief, what ever it had been, i'm not sure, but i named it the dead raccoon!!! and well, my sleeves were already rolled up...
There isn't too much that bothers me, but long green hairy mold -- jeez, I get the shivers thinking about it. I'm not good with spiders, either.

Yes, definitely a "chapeau" for Jim!

Ann
Old 05-12-2021, 13:20   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
excellent post Ann!

There isn't too much that bothers me, but long green hairy mold -- jeez, I get the shivers thinking about it. I'm not good with spiders, either.

About the onions, part of it is that American canned food at the time was not very good, salty but not terribly flavorful, and almost anything canned would benefit from an onion being fine-chopped into it, sometimes lightly sauteed (just to transparency), made a huge difference to flavor and texture.

Ann
Old 05-12-2021, 13:25   #25

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

About the onions, part of it is that American canned food at the time was not very good, salty but not terribly flavorful, and almost anything canned would benefit from an onion being fine-chopped into it, sometimes lightly sauteed (just to transparency), made a huge difference to flavor and texture.

Ann
Having been raised on such gallery offerings as Spaghetti-Os, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, and Campbell's Chunky Soups, I heartily approve of this idea, and retroactively wish I could've suggested adding sautéed onions to the admiral and skipper.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 18:20   #26

Who the heck knows?
Apart from a thing else. What does “Blue Water” even mean.

My personal preference is sailing in “Blue Water”, As Opposed to “Green Water”
Brown water is often quite pleasant. If adjacent to blue water.
Definitely prefer the above options to “Grey Water” and definitely avoid “White Water”
Although I did quite enjoy a raft trip down the Kicking Horse river.

Now my preference these days, is to leave after breakfast, lunch or brunch for an Anchorage or Berth within a short row and walking distance of some kind of establishment where there is a reasonable choice of dining and refreshments. By supper time. Or at least before closing time. On special occasion I may go overnight.

So I pick days when the water will be blue, Sometimes when the water is to blue, the sailing is a bit dull, So prefer Blue with some speckled white bits.
Green can still be quite enjoyable particularly with a few white patches here and there.
When it’s Grey it’s generally best to stay where I am and put the kettle or coffee pot on.
White, best avoided.

If planning further adventures, best to plan to stay where the water is most likely to be blue.
Green can be tolerable for a while, but blue is definitely more pleasant.
If it’s like to be Grey, go some other way.

Don’t go where it’s white.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 18:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Having been raised on such gallery offerings as Spaghetti-Os, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, and Campbell's Chunky Soups, I heartily approve of this idea, and retroactively wish I could've suggested adding sautéed onions to the admiral and skipper.
I find Campbell’s chunky soup is one of the best choices when things is bouncing. Always keep some on hand.
Campbell’s chunky Beef is a particular favourite with some rice, easily made hot.
Sharing a hot can of chunky can make a really nice changeover of a night watch.

I was really unpopular as chief cook when I produced a huge pressure cooker full of tinned corned beef. tinned tomatoes with onions and potatoes.
I think I added a can of tennents as well for good measure.
Most of the crew found there appetite was missing. I think the problem was the sea colour. Which was kind of grey.
But I quite enjoyed it.
Old 05-12-2021, 18:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I find Campbell’s chunky soup is one of the best choices when things is bouncing. Always keep some on hand.
Campbell’s chunky Beef is a particular favourite with some rice, easily made hot.
Sharing a hot can of chunky can make a really nice changeover of a night watch.

I was really unpopular as chief cook when I produced a huge pressure cooker full of tinned corned beef. tinned tomatoes with onions and potatoes.
I think I added a can of tennents as well for good measure.
Most of the crew found there appetite was missing. I think the problem was the sea colour. Which was kind of grey.
But I quite enjoyed it.
Old 05-12-2021, 21:04   #29

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Recently I’ve found dehydrated mashed potato to be the go.
Simply add hot water and it goes with a wide range of things.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 21:19   #30

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Recently I’ve found dehydrated mashed potato to be the go.
Simply add hot water and it goes with a wide range of things.
In Afghanistan, we found that there were many dehydrated things you could carry with you that were delicious, but wasn't I happy when we started getting drops of food with pop tarts. Even smushed after a 30,000-foot fall, they were still fantastic.

I have not yet achieved the status of blue-water skipper that I've needed to explore dehydrated meals for sailing, and probably never will. But good on you, Chris!
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, skipper, water