Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 22:14   #31

Re: Who is a 'bluewater skipper'? What is 'bluewater preparation'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
In Afghanistan, we found that there were many dehydrated things you could carry with you that were delicious, but wasn't I happy when we started getting drops of food with pop tarts. Even smushed after a 30,000-foot fall, they were still fantastic.

I have not yet achieved the status of blue-water skipper that I've needed to explore dehydrated meals for sailing, and probably never will. But good on you, Chris!
I do take some sailing.
Mostly I use Dehydrated foods for canoe, kayak or hiking trips where I have to carry stuff.
I’ve found the, fancyier options from MEC or outdoor gear stores tends to still end up being referred to by my sons as Barrf in a bag.
Much cheeper option, with plenary of choice which work very well and quite tasty. Is Lipton side dishes. Most work fine with just add water and heat in a pot.
I keep a few on board.
Not just for weather, my limited cullinary skills are legendary.
I like the idea of pop tarts, never taken them sailing, haven bought them in years but sounds good.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 22:31   #32

Boat: Beneteau 46

I remember hearing that bluewater skippers had big butts, big bladders and moved slowly.
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:03   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Blue water sailor - proficient enough at using a boat to sail to farther away places

Brown water sailor - motoring in the ICW in the USA or canal systems in Europe, similar to driving on a water based road, living the RV life on a boat

Green water sailor - probably should have stayed home or checked the weather, hope the hatches are closed

White water sailor - took a wrong turn in a river, usually quite panicked by this point

Grey water sailor - sails in harbors of major cities. Do not use the watermaker here.

Black water sailor - sailing skills need a LOT of improvement, refers to self as blue water sailor, turns every outing on the boat into a disaster or emergency. Yells at spouse when picking up a mooring ball or anchoring. Sea Tow sends them gifts at the holidays to thank them for their continued business.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:02   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Recently I’ve found dehydrated mashed potato to be the go.
Simply add hot water and it goes with a wide range of things.
Not to push this drift too far, but we normally carry quite a lot of dehydrated foods. Most of it is dried by us, although we also carry commercial dried foods like beans, lentils, rice, couscous, pasta and yes, potatoes.

Mostly, we dry a whole range of fresh fruits and veggies, along with some meats. Doing it yourself ensures the quality is high, and if you buy smartly, can greatly reduce costs.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:09   #35

Boat: Boat

Quote:
I ask you: What makes one a 'bluewater skipper'?
Someone with the knowledge to prepare a bluewater boat for its passage, fix what may become necessary to be fixed when underway, understand the weather enough to plan a good passage, and know what to do in adverse conditions if that forecast and plan don't hold true.

I am a long way from that as well.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:26   #36

It seems strange to see the words "Blue Water" in the same paragraph as "jennie/bennie/hanse/bavaria".
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:34   #37

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
It seems strange to see the words "Blue Water" in the same paragraph as "jennie/bennie/hanse/bavaria".
we sail a "jennie" have been at sea for over 5 years and sailed over 30,000 nm. A "jennie" can be a perfectly good "blue water" boat. Ours certainly has been and we expect to sail another 30k nm before returning to Denmark in her

Not meaning to hijack this thread - but "blue water" boats need not be long keeled dreadnoughts from a forgotten age

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:00   #38

I just have to throw in my 5 contrarian cents here...

I cut my offshore teeth sailing in the South African coastal waters. Scores of passages and multiple rounding's of the Cape, Agulhas, and the narrow nasty east coast shelf....From Richards Bay to Saldana and all points in between.

We used to dream of going Blue Water sailing to get some relief from the endless wild gales, huge seas, dangerous current's, shipping, etc, that the coastal minefield yields in that part of the world!

Blue water miles , even in heavy weather , are a dream compared to Port Elizabeth to Cape Town in effectively the roaring 40's around two of the most beastly Capes on the map!

I grew up thinking that all coastal sailing was way more dangerous than blue water....and it IS!! Juxtaposition of sea and land with the differing specific heat capacity, craggy coastlines with no harbours for100's miles, every man and his ship trying to round the Capes simultaneously....NO, give me an ocean crossing any day for much more relaxed sailing... True story.

:-) Sorry, had to....

BTW, the lessons one needs to learn before going blue water are in the wind-vane, the galley and the chafe gear!
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:42   #39

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvR View Post

I cut my offshore teeth sailing in the South African coastal waters. Scores of passages and multiple rounding's of the Cape, Agulhas, and the narrow nasty east coast shelf....From Richards Bay to Saldana and all points in between.

We used to dream of going Blue Water sailing to get some relief from the endless wild gales, huge seas, dangerous current's, shipping, etc, that the coastal minefield yields in that part of the world!

Blue water miles , even in heavy weather , are a dream compared to Port Elizabeth to Cape Town in effectively the roaring 40's around two of the most beastly Capes on the map!

I grew up thinking that all coastal sailing was way more dangerous than blue water....and it IS!! Juxtaposition of sea and land with the differing specific heat capacity, craggy coastlines with no harbours for100's miles, every man and his ship trying to round the Capes simultaneously....NO, give me an ocean crossing any day for much more relaxed sailing... True story.

BTW, the lessons one needs to learn before going blue water are in the wind-vane, the galley and the chafe gear!
Concur, some areas like all capes, North Sea, Tasman sea and others alike are usually more demanding than most ocean passages ever.. Excluding tropical hurricanes..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:04   #40
Marine Service Provider

A Blue Water skipper is one who has seen lots of green water over his bow.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:14   #41
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
There are two types of Skipper: Those who worry when the land goes out of sight and those who worry when the land comes into sight.

In almost every respect I've found 'bluewater' sailing easier than coastal sailing, but you are 'on your own' out there; the RNLI/Seatow/local marine engineer are not just a phone/VHF call away, nor is the shelter (and bar/restaurant) of the local marina handy if tomorrow's weather forecast looks a bit unpleasant.
All that's required 'extra' of a 'Bluewater Skipper' is the ability to cope with that independence/self reliance/personal responsibility, so it's primarily a psychological rather than physical/technical requirement; other of course than needing to be better at mathematics - calculating the beer requirement for a day or weekend sail is easy, but you're getting into some big numbers when crossing an ocean.
A Bluewater skipper is someone who knows his boat, knows where he is going and has emergency alternatives planned, has a good idea what to expect regarding weather but can handle deviations, has thought about possible losses of equipment or complete power loss and planned backups, plans for crew needs and considers their wants. He is self reliant.

Lastly, he respects all offshore waters and knows that mother nature doesn't care who you are, how much money you have, how may degrees you have, or how many times you have been at sea...when you enter her world you must obey her laws...she doesn't take prisoners.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 16:15   #42

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Blue water sailor - proficient enough at using a boat to sail to farther away places

Brown water sailor - motoring in the ICW in the USA or canal systems in Europe, similar to driving on a water based road, living the RV life on a boat

Green water sailor - probably should have stayed home or checked the weather, hope the hatches are closed

White water sailor - took a wrong turn in a river, usually quite panicked by this point

Grey water sailor - sails in harbors of major cities. Do not use the watermaker here.

Black water sailor - sailing skills need a LOT of improvement, refers to self as blue water sailor, turns every outing on the boat into a disaster or emergency. Yells at spouse when picking up a mooring ball or anchoring. Sea Tow sends them gifts at the holidays to thank them for their continued business.
Nice list.

But how is it so long and so detailed and leaves out me, and others like me, probably the majority of people who cruise?

Safely and confidently skippers cruising sailboats along coasts and confident and qualified to make short offshore passages (e.g 50-100 nm).

Aquamarine? Teal? Maybe bluegrey, since the water out there is blue on nice days and grey in bad weather. Or grey-blue?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 16:19   #43

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
True. Unless you read the post closely, as well as that bluewater boat thread to which it refers that is concurrently piling up posts.

There are people out who own those boats and consider them "bluewater.' (I'm not one of them)
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 06-12-2021, 16:22   #44

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Nice list.

But how is it so long and so detailed and leaves out me, and others like me, probably the majority of people who cruise?

Safely and confidently skippers cruising sailboats along coasts and confident and qualified to make short offshore passages (e.g 50-100 nm).

Aquamarine? Teal? Maybe bluegrey, since the water out there is blue on nice days and grey in bad weather. Or grey-blue?
There is no joke to be made about you teal/grey-blue sailors. So, sorry to say, you didn’t make the cut! LOL You are the majority. You were supposed to laugh at the oddball color sailors in my list. But I guess I stink at comedy. I’ll sticks to the facts, sir.

I did miss one however!

The No Water Sailor: spends time on the forum and working on the boat, never leaves the boat shed or the dock, is busy working to pay for a big project and wonders if he’ll ever actually see the water again or see the project completed. Has to tell sea tales from years ago to participate in boating conversations.

Sadly, that’s my group these days.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 16:24   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvR View Post

I subscribe to this idea! I have already admitted in the OP that I am neither a blue water sailor, nor do I aspire to be one, but I'm way, way happier 15-25 miles offshore than I am negotiating the rips, races, narrow channels, copious and treacherous ledges and shoals, innumerable lobster buoys, traffic (including those who don't know how to sail/motor).

The New England coastal weather is nowhere near as wild as what you have in South Africa, but the ease of offshore compared to inshore correlates.

Tags
Bluewater, skipper, water