Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 12:40   #256
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: What Justifies a "MAYDAY"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Out here in Newfoundland it might go something like

Poin Poin
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 13:01   #257

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
J6, let's clear up this point about Aussie law.

There is NO law in Australia that says medical emergencies are not MAYDAYs. At least, there is no law that I'm aware of but if you can cite one, I would be very interested in knowing about it.

To the best of my knowledge, the use of a radio to call for help (of any kind) is governed the Radio Communications Act 1992. I reread it again last night and could find no reference in it stating that a MAYDAY can't include a medical emergency.

Perhaps I have missed a minor paragraph here or there or perhaps one of the many maritime acts says something to that effect somewhere - but I don't think so.

However, we are taught here in Aussieland when studying for a maritime radio licence, that MAYDAYs are not to be used for medical calls. This is laid out in several recommended handbooks. The fact this is so in the handbook doesn't make it law, it just makes it recommended (perhaps even highly recommended).

I'm not sure why it is so but I am sure no one is going to be hauled over the coals for doing so - except perhaps in that great international maritime court called "Cruisers Forum"
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 13:06   #258

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
damned if I know - maybe we should ask a canadian?
If this is redundant excuse me. I get lost in cyber land.

It's nice to see some levity, should have said, eh.

It seem different parts of the world have different opinions as do people.

Starting to sound like beating a dead horse?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 13:20   #259

No, we don't pronounce Pan as Pon. Just to clear that up.
And really? No Aussie CG? Who does your ice breaking? Oh right... Okay, who handles you Nav Aids?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 13:25   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
And really? No Aussie CG? Who does your ice breaking? Oh right... Okay, who handles you Nav Aids?

We don't have a Coast Guard as most places would have it. We have two volunteer organisations for radio communications and shore rescues, is how to put it in a nut shell. They don't 'guard the coast' at all and have no legislative authority. The volunteer's work in conjunction with both marine police, customs and Navy. They are worth their weight in gold though and do a fantastic role throughout Australia.

Navigational aids are another thing all together. And it depends on which state as well. There are numerous and I mean 'numerous' port authorities, that look after navigational aids for ports. And these are all either State controlled or in the hands of some times corporations.
Old 19-11-2014, 13:30   #261

Quote:

Thanks - so you guys speak English then, eh

Ice breaking is done by the Aurora Australis (an Australian icebreaker). It is owned by P&O Maritime Services.

Nav aids are looked after by the state maritime services. Each state has it own and they go by slightly different names. There is probably a federal service (apart from the Royal Australian Navy) but if there is, I don't know its name.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) oversights most maritime stuff in Oz. See https://www.amsa.gov.au/
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-11-2014, 13:39   #262
cruiser

Quote:
J6, let's clear up this point about Aussie law.
Okay, let me go back and find what I read.

I first read it in this thread, or in something that was linked to this thread. I'll look for it.

Right off the top of my head, the recommendation that medical issues are pan-pans is in the .pdf that Seaworthy Lass linked, but I don't remember if it cited law. The reason I'm certain of it being law was because I was quite surprised.

Then again, I was also quite surprised to hear that Ireland had been invaded by martians.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 13:40   #263

Quote:
... Who does your ice breaking? Oh right...
I note the humour and it is appreciated

More thread drift below -

You may be interested in knowing that Australia maintains "control" of a huge area of Antarctica - way more than any other nation and we a shipload of ice down there
Old 19-11-2014, 13:59   #264

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I note the humour and it is appreciated

More thread drift below -

You may be interested in knowing that Australia maintains "control" of a huge area of Antarctica - way more than any other nation and we a shipload of ice down there
I can remember Australia, having a sweat deal flying you over and setting you up if you had a needed skill. Might should have missed a great opportunity.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 14:14   #265
cruiser

Okay, I found what I read.

It's in the .pdf that Seaworthy Lass linked, and I thought that whole brochure was law.

It's not law, I was wrong, it's merely Aussie convention and teaching.

It's section 126.2.

So a mayday for an injury or heart attack in Australian waters is not illegal.
Old 19-11-2014, 14:59   #266
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don't most of the Scandinavian countries pronounce "PAN PAN" as "Skjillet Skjillet" ?

To the French it is bread, no small subject. To the rest of us, it is the thing you fry eggs in.

Now that I know how many sailors can work a computer better than a radio...I'm kinda afraid to go out on the water.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 15:01   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

Firstly from The Marine Radio VHF Operators Manua.
The Distress Signal
The distress signal is the word MAYDAY. The transmission of the distress signal indicates that the vessel,
or persons onboard that vessel, are in GRAVE AND IMMINENT D ANGER and require immediate assistance.
I've highlighted, 'vessel or person'.

Second reference is from the Marine Radio Operators Handbook, which I'm including because it enlarges a little more on the first reference.

124 The Distress Signal indicates that the vessel or person using it ias threatened by grave and imminent danger and requests immediate assistance. It does not extend to situations where immediate assistance is sought on behalf of a person, for example, a medical emergency. The urgency signal should be used in these situations.
I've again highlighted 'vessel or person'

So, unless you don't accept these, where are you getting this insistence that nothing about a person is a mayday?
Just putting it up there again.
Old 19-11-2014, 15:20   #268
cruiser

I see why it's not law.

None of the Aussies can agree with each other.
Old 19-11-2014, 15:29   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I see why it's not law.

None of the Aussies can agree with each other.
Jammer Six, it was you that I was disagreeing with and what you were claiming about Australia.

There are two things I've learnt from this discussion, Firstly, that whilst there is a common international standard, many countries have further sought to explain the 'standard' which has resulted in differences between the countries.

Secondly, that many sailors haven't read what their own countries recommendations are or really know what the requirements are.

I know in Australia relatively few sailors, boaters have a radio competency at all. Of the immediate friends I have that are sailors, I'm the only one of them that has one. The actual figures are unknown but given the great amount of vhf marine radios that are sold in Australia and the very few registered radio operators, I think the numbers would be substantial.
Old 19-11-2014, 16:02   #270

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Fair call
FWIW, I quoted you as your post (251) as you started off with "Here is what the Canadians say" so I thought you may also have knowledge on how Canadians pronounce the related stuff.

Presumably you are more familiar with Danish pronunciation so how do the Danish pronounce PAN PAN?

And are there any Canadians still on board this wandering thread and would care to enlighten me on their pronunciation of this slightly drifted topic?
Same as in the US of A.

"Pawn Pawn"