Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 08:45   #331
cruiser

Re: What Justifies a "MAYDAY"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
That's interesting to know the context over there. I would have just assumed that the US was more rigorous on training and procedures than us. You rarely hear a mayday out this way and when it does happen it's even rarer to hear that it was unnecessary. If anything, as Kate said, there are those times when people are reluctant to call one and shouldn't be.
When cruising off Southern California, it wasn't unusual to hear a mayday call when some knucklehead ran out of fuel.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 14:48   #332

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: What Justifies a "MAYDAY"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When cruising off Southern California, it wasn't unusual to hear a mayday call when some knucklehead ran out of fuel.
I only recall once responding to a call following someone in a motorboat running out of fuel. But I don't recall whether they called a mayday as we only did the response, not took the calls. I'd probably be kindly talking to them about a more appropriate call though if that had come up very often here. I guessing that over here if someone called a mayday and they were out in the ocean and they had a motor boat, it would probably not be addressed as the future repercussions could become quite life threatening.

I'm guessing we are just not that concerned about the calls. If I get the time I might give our local radio watch a call and ask them if we get many inappropriate mayday's. Just out of curiosity.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote