Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2017, 12:10   #1

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Trepidation

I have been wondering whether to pen this for a while but I am asking for some advice on what to do about offshore sailing. It is advice for my head.

I am a very experienced coastal sailor (former NSW 420, Tasar, Laser state champ and at least 6 trips to the reef - 6 years full time cruising) but haven't crossed an ocean. I have tried but have turned back more than once - one time we spent an awful amount of time getting nowhere and another time I was not up to things mentally. (It pains me greatly to write that last sentence). I was sailing with my kids in both instances and felt the weight of paternal responsibility very heavily on my shoulders.

I dearly want to sail across an ocean in the near future. I have the skills to sail the boat well and keep it in good order. The boat, a 38ft catamaran, is getting some small modifications to get modify those parts that give me niggling concerns. My sons have now both grown up and will not be coming with me when I head off.

I know many people who have done extensive cruising, I am friendly with at least 6 circumnavigators and I understand there is no difference between our abilities but one - I worry.

Worry is great when I race. I worry the boat around the course being super aware of the wind shifts and boat speed but I think that my racing background may not stand me in good stead when offshore. I am pretty good at slowing down when coastal sailing and I have no concerns about sailing along the coast with my guitar in hand watching the boat under autopilot. With our cat we have run bars and even beached her and tied up to a tree to avoid bad weather.

I want to reduce my concern about possible wind shifts, weather changes and general ill at ease when I head offshore again. The thought of possible eventualities makes my head spin when pointing offshore. I know many people can sail offshore successfully and most of them can't sail a boat as well as me. I probably should add that my father died sailing - he fell off a catamaran inside Botany Bay before I was born, so I have been brought up with the reality that the sport I love can do its worst. The "It won't happen to me because I can sail" doesn't make sense. My father was a good sailor.

I would like to be able to head offshore with some equanimity and calm. I like the ocean, I love sailing and love travelling on my boat and should be happy to spend some serious time doing it. My concern with what might happen way offshore does spoil the whole thing for me though.

Any thoughts on expunging the demons? How do voyagers get sanguine about being so small on the biggest stage?

Thanks

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 13:18   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Trepidation

Hi Phil,

I think everyone worries before they go. I certainly do up to that moment I am clear of the marina, channel, etc. Then I begin to relax. It does take a little while to be, as you say, kicking back with guitar whilst you sail. About 2 or 3 hours for me.

Yes the weather is always so dynamic. Its never quite 'right', but we are all the same its never quite right for any of us.

Relish the nerves and give it another crack maybe this time have the guitar out earlier

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 13:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Trepidation

Set a destination..
Do Not set a schedule..
Head off when you have a 3+ day window of nice but favourable conditions.. this will give you time to settle and 'Get in the Groove' as they say..
I have pre trip nerves every trip.. but that's usually because the boats are unknown quantities.. I just deliver them..
Don't over think things.. most things are solvable.. even if its just a temporary fix it will get you somewhere you can make permanent repairs.
As for the long siesta.. it comes to us all sooner or later..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 14:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

With your location, I'd recommend easing yourself into it with a Coral Sea loop.

NSW - Cairns
Cairns - PNG
PNG - Solomon Islands.
Solomon Islands - New Caledonia
New Caledonia - Aus.

By the time you do the final, longest open water leg, you should be much more comfortable with it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 15:07   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

I'm just the opposite, I start worrying when I get close to land! I love the passages. My heart rate goes up as I approach land.
Old 15-02-2017, 15:14   #6

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Set a destination..
Do Not set a schedule..
I think I'll just file this one under "advice for life, also applicable to sailing."
Old 15-02-2017, 15:16   #7
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Although I have not sailed offshore yet, I keep telling myself that dangers are all around us and you live only once. You can be in bed at home having a snooze when a plane drops on your house or a tornado/twister plays with your house. Cross the street and a drunk driver can run you over. **** happens, might as well enjoy life to the fullest until your time comes!
BTW, I seriously regret not getting back into sailing earlier as medical issues are now making things quite difficult for me. Don't wait until you can't go any more!
Oh, doing short hops and gradually increasing them helped me a lot in general.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 16:12   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I shared that same fear when I started sailing offshore solo, or as captain of my own boat. I had done dozens of voyages as crew, crossing oceans, but it's different when it's your boat.

For me, the key was a few basic things; preparation of the boat, i.e. making sure that everything worked and had been checked out; preparation of being "rigged for offshore" which includes all sorts of things like securing the anchor well, taping pelican hooks, etc. etc., and preparation as far as food, batteries, yadda yadda yadda.

Beyond that, it's about being vigilant and thinking ahead. If something does not sound right, or you find a loose screw or nut, investigate immediately. Be proactive. Watch the weather, reef down early. Always think about being prepared for what is to come. Ask yourself "what can I do now that will be difficult later" and do it.

If you're solo, it's then about managing fatigue and your body. Plan ahead, grab rest when you can, even if you're not tired, and stay on top of it.

The ocean is more conceptually scary than it is in reality, assuming you're not sailing where strong gales are likely to be expected. Even when you get into those, the above will help you to manage. It's all about letting your brain override your anxiety.

Honestly, I've had scarier weather and circumstances on the Chesapeake Bay than I ever have had out in the ocean, even with it blowing 50 knots out there. Yes, you're far from anywhere, but there are aspect to it that are much safer than sailing coastal.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 10:26   #9

Boat: no boat any more

"...How do voyagers get sanguine..."
fwiw: only a complete idiot wouldn't at least worry to some extent when confronting the ocean on a small sailboat. today sanguine-tomorrow shipwrecked!
the aim is not not to be scared, the aim is to overcome your fears.
(0f course every circumnavigator's recipe for success is different, mine always was to anticipate as many probs as possible & try to "be prepared for the worst" - & the best really always took care of itself :-) )
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 11:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I get nervous when my Wife is aboard. Tough as a full time live aboard couple.

I am much more relaxed when I'm solo. Then I can really relax and enjoy the sail.

It's not her fault. It's just when she is there the sense of responsibility won't let me let go.

Gotta work on that.

As for you, who knows? Maybe set yourself up a nice little 2 or 3 day solo voyage. Nothing stressful, but do it solo. Se if that helps. If yes, great. If not, well then you can scratch that off your list of explanations.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 12:13   #11

Boat: Boatless

Ease of mind off-shore is about trust...

Trusting the boat, your personal skills and in my case trusting my wife's skills.

It is almost impossible to cross an ocean without encountering bad weather and breakdowns. It is your's and the boat's ability to handle these problems that is important and that only comes from going off-shore.

Good luck.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 12:35   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I don't think any good sailor ever gets completely comfortable prepping to go off shore, there is a certain level of respect for the sea that you need to stay alive. That being said, controlling it is important. Burning the anxious energy off on double checking checklists is a good option.

The other thing I would suggest is go make a 1000nm coastal cruise. The rules for the trip though are no stopping, no contact withthe shore, no outside assistance that you won't have at sea, basically isolate yourself the same way that you would if you were doing a real ocean crossing, but with the knowledge that if something were to happen you aren't more than 100nm from shore. It's a way too see what it's really like without having to jump completely off the deep end. Do 2,000nm there and back and I doubt that an actual crossing will bother you much.

In my part of the world few cruisers ever step out to cross the Atalanic first. They start by sailing down the Bahama chain, then the Carribean basin, with few crossings more than overnight, and then step off on the long trips (if they ever do). Butthe Pacific doesn't offer such an easy set of stepping stones.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 07:31   #13

Boat: no boat any more

I'd strongly counsel against singlehanding the first real offshore passage! there is no fallback in case you make a mistake - & the very smallest of them can have the gravest consequences. even responsibilty for somebody else, worrisome as it might be is a small price to pay for a helping hand in the case of an incapacitating injury (or a MOB)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 08:24   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
in case you make a mistake - & the very smallest of them can have the gravest consequences.
Oh, that eases my mind considerably!
Old 27-02-2017, 08:38   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Trepidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Oh, that eases my mind considerably!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote