Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 17:04   #16

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’
Re: Suddenly Singlehanded

The rope elevator trick is worth keeping in mind as well for a conscious victim who is unable to climb aboard. Tie one end at forward cleat (all of this depends on how much line you have, how big the boat, etc). From there let slack into the water and run it back toward the stern to anything you can use as a fairlead to change its direction toward a winch. The person in the water puts their feet on the line while the person aboard takes in the slack.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 18:01   #17

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayZee View Post
I have a fair amount of sailing experience but a lot of it is 25 years ago a lot of it, I was not the skipper in charge. Now I am and I greatly feel the weight of being responsible for both of our's safety. So I come here to explore the merits of that which I can't settle in my own mind or can't find in Chapman's or Rousmanier.
Kurt
On second thought, given this statement, the best thing you can do for your wife is let her become a competent skipper. This means letting her make decisions at the helm and allowing her to give you directions as crew. Once she sees that the boat is a capable object in her own hands, your own chances of surviving a MOB scenario go up logarithmically. Until then, she is just taking direction from you and will likely have a hard time making decisions in an emergency situation.

As to DSC, you definitely need to have the MMSI assigned to the radio and to the updated particulars of the vessel that you can change online (boat color, sail number, etc).
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 18:14   #18

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Having done several "half-MOB" drills (we picked up a few sailors and boarders in SF Bay and Sea of Cortez, not yet our own crew) I can suggest that a deployable solid ladder is a great addition to an MOB kit. Besides MOB use, it is great for a nice swim (just don't forget to deploy it BEFORE you jump off.)

Also, there are a number of personal AIS beacons that attach to the inflatable vest.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 18:16   #19

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
On second thought, given this statement, the best thing you can do for your wife is let her become a competent skipper. This means letting her make decisions at the helm and allowing her to give you directions as crew. Once she sees that the boat is a capable object in her own hands, your own chances of surviving a MOB scenario go up logarithmically. Until then, she is just taking direction from you and will likely have a hard time making decisions in an emergency situation.

That's a good thought. Thank you. I've been thinking about doing something like that with calling for sail trim instead of having her look at me and saying "Why are we going so slow." After correcting her that the correct word is "slow-ly" I ask her if she's had a look at the telltales in the last 10 minutes.

To be really fair to her. She doesn't love steering or learning about sail-trim. Like I said, she likes being sailed places and once said to me, "All day at work, *I'm* the skipper (she's a small business owner). On the boat I just want to relax and let other people (me) make decisions." Also in her favor, she's taken on learning to sew boat canvas items and she's a great one for digging into a puzzle and won't give up till she solves a maintenance issue while i'm all, "EFFF IT! Let's pitch it and buy a new one!" We're a long time, 43 years, couple. We compliment each other and I am blessed that owning a boat bring happiness to our relationship and doesn't wreck it.*

She does understand though, that she needs to be able independently operate the boat if I become unable to. And knowing what to do if despite all efforts I do end up in the water is a big one. Hence my questions about methods.

Again, I appreciate your contributions,

Kurt

* I like the quote: Wherever you're going as a couple, buying a boat together will get you there faster."
Old 21-12-2020, 18:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Having done several "half-MOB" drills (we picked up a few sailors and boarders in SF Bay and Sea of Cortez, not yet our own crew) I can suggest that a deployable solid ladder is a great addition to an MOB kit. Besides MOB use, it is great for a nice swim (just don't forget to deploy it BEFORE you jump off.)

Also, there are a number of personal AIS beacons that attach to the inflatable vest.

We have a permanent (fold down) ridgid swim ladder with gate on the transom. It could be a little deeper, it takes a good tuck to get your feet up onto the bottom rung.

Our half MOB practice is retrieving those dang mylar balloons. When we see one, if we're not in the shipping lane, we always double back for it. For those pick ups we use the good ol' go to a beam reach and then head back on the reciprocal. It's good boat handling practice and I have to manage the sails and steer while Ruth mans (womans?) the boat hook or bait net. June '19 right after the graduations (pre-covid) a sailing friend who also makes a point to fish 'em out collected more than 20 in one afternoon.

Thanks for the input.

Kurt
Old 21-12-2020, 18:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post

YOu have a fun, stout little boat there. You'll have a lot of fun exploring Catalina! And if you make it up this way send me a PM, I'll meet you and bring the libations!

good thoughts and nicely presented. I have a throw bag. Do you prefer that to circling around with the life sling out?

We've been to Catalina a few times now on the Carol Marie and talk a lot about the Channel Islands but that's a 'nother whole kettle of fish AND my Ruth has to get away from her business for more than 3 days to make that happen.

Do you mind if I PM you about passage strategies to the Islands from down here? There's a Columbia 29 on my dock about 4 boats down.

Kurt
Old 21-12-2020, 18:54   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
good thoughts and nicely presented. I have a throw bag. Do you prefer that to circling around with the life sling out?

We've been to Catalina a few times now on the Carol Marie and talk a lot about the Channel Islands but that's a 'nother whole kettle of fish AND my Ruth has to get away from her business for more than 3 days to make that happen.

Do you mind if I PM you about passage strategies to the Islands from down here? There's a Columbia 29 on my dock about 4 boats down.

Kurt
Yeah, I am figuring you are tossing a line to a person who is not injured and can climb the ladder.

I think if you have free time and your wife's time is more restricted, you might think about soloing (mostly motoring) your boat up to Channel Islands harbor and then your wife could join you there and then you both head out as far as you feel comfortable. Anacapa is only 11 miles out and a good anchorage on Santa Cruz (Scorpion) is only 17 miles away. Going for 1 or 2 nights at Scorpion anchorage is a really nice, easy introduction to Santa Cruz island. Feel free to PM me anytime.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 19:45   #23

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

Thanks for the discussion!

I'm in a similar position. After four years, my first mate has decided she wants to learn how to sail :-)

MOB and fire are by far the scariest things about sailing for me.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 20:04   #24

Another variable I haven't seen mentioned is the color of the sailing clothes. Having dodged zillions of lobster bouys after 20+ seasons in New England I can vouch that bright yellows and reds are the best colors for sailing jackets, pants, etc. for MOBs or POBs to be PC. May be some bright neon colors as well. Personally I believe these should be the only colors for sailing clothes as anything else blends in in the water, especially when the sun is low.

+1 for attached ladders of some sort.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 07:30   #25

Location: San Francisco Bay Area for me. The boat is in the Caribbean.
Boat: X5+ Catamaran, 53’

Just noticed a good MOB article series over at Noonsite. Worth checking out.
Sbonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 00:41   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kurt, I'm going to take a stab at this, and, if I'm lucky and you let me, I'm going to show you something.

Quote:
That's a good thought. Thank you. I've been thinking about doing something like that with calling for sail trim instead of having her look at me and saying "Why are we going so slow." After correcting her that the correct word is "slow-ly" I ask her if she's had a look at the telltales in the last 10 minutes. If you want sailing to become fun for your wife, don't put her down by asking questions she doesn't know how to answer. It will only make her angry.

To be really fair to her. She doesn't love steering or learning about sail-trim. Why would she if she is not praised? What's in it for her? Like I said, she likes being sailed places and once said to me, "All day at work, *I'm* the skipper (she's a small business owner). On the boat I just want to relax and let other people (me) make decisions." Also in her favor, she's taken on learning to sew boat canvas items and she's a great one for digging into a puzzle and won't give up till she solves a maintenance issue while i'm all, "EFFF IT! Let's pitch it and buy a new one!" We're a long time, 43 years, couple. We compliment each other and I am blessed that owning a boat bring happiness to our relationship and doesn't wreck it.* Quite right, you are. What may help is if you asker her a couple of things: the first is "how will you rescue me if I go overboard?"
and the second is "would you like to have classes to teach you enough about sailing so that I [your husband of 43 yrs] can sleep without worrying when you are on watch? " I don't have a crystal ball, but she has as big a commitment in you as you in her, and maybe she will see the wisdom of learning some stuff. Then, what happens is she's there with these other women, but she's the lady who has run her own business, and she will speak up when they are inefficient, and she will get praised for her input. Dont' tell her I said it, it will be much better if the instructor does, and she starts to see more values of herself she has to offer you.

She does understand though, that she needs to be able independently operate the boat if I become unable to. And knowing what to do if despite all efforts I do end up in the water is a big one. Hence my questions about methods. Separate from you lessons, where she can't help competing with the other ladies.

Again, I appreciate your contributions,

Kurt

* I like the quote: Wherever you're going as a couple, buying a boat together will get you there faster."
In my experience, women vary a lot in how much they take to sailing, but I think a smart, assertive woman will be happy to learn more about sail trim, if she doesn't have to compete with you for the privilege, and if there's a positive reward at the end of it..

There's a good chance she thinks getting out of your way to let you enjoy it all is helping you. This is an opportunity for a different style of communication for you. You may not be used to listening for nuances (sorry if I got this wrong---I don't know you, just about communications problems), but doing that will help. Not coming on authoritarian will also help: leave that to the professional instructor.

When she has skills she is comfortable with, she will feel more comfortable approaching you as a help meet, rather than a slave.

I hope this has some spots where you think it might fit you and your good lady, and I'd also like to offer her my encouragement to gain a little more competence. I think she'll enjoy cruising more, with it.

Ann
Old 23-12-2020, 01:09   #27

To stop MoB I fitted a U bolt in the cockpit to clip a tether to, thick nylon tape tied to the cleat both sides of the boat. We had harness with one long tether and one short one. The short one was to go on my knees to reef the main, it stopped the risk of going overboard. I put the long tether around the mast to stop falling back. We always used tethers in bad weather and at night.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 01:29   #28

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I honestly thought that sailing away and returning on a reciprocal course was long gone as a way of recovering a MOB.

Our routine is press MOB button, instant heave to, start engine, chuck the MOB kit over the back, chuck the Lifesling out and the motor back to the MOB. We don’t include dropping sails and to be fair, we’ve never done a drill in heavy weather. Perhaps we should but I think heavy weather and big seas are pretty much a death warrant for a MOB on a mom/pop crewed boat. A different set of safety rules need to be observed.

We’ve done the drill enough times for my wife to do it without any interference from me, she follows the routine and I go to the stern to collect the stuff that’s been chucked out. Obviously if either of us gets it wrong we discuss the why’s.

To us, the most important thing about MOB is knowing that my wife has enough skill and knowledge to get herself and the boat back to a port to save herself because we both acknowledge that rescuing a person from the water at sea is very definitely not a sure thing.

If there ever was a good thing about the NZ Cat1 inspection, it is that our MOB gear is very organised, practically arranged and in good shape. Currently I’m working on a launch system that with one tug on a pin, the life ring, Danbouy, drogue and all the whistles, flares, dyes are launched into the sea, hopefully close enough that the MOB can easily swim to it.

We also have a “day” setup (Danbouy, red flag) and a “night” setup (powerful strobe light), one on either side ready to be launched.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 02:21   #29

Step 1 - create a visible debris field by throwing anything that might float into the water. Easier than a MOB mark on chart plotter, but you can do that too.

Step 2 - stop the boat and demobilize the sails. Toss the sheets and let them flog.

Step 3 - turn on engine. And maneuver back to victim

Step 4 - deploy Lifesling and circle victim.

Step 5 - once you've established contact with victim and he/she is tethered to boat, immediately contact USCG on VHF and establish standby communications.

Step 6 - retrieval. Getting victim back onboard. May involve dropping sail that has been flogging. This must be practiced ahead of time. Whatever plan you have in your mind about lifting deadweight out of the water will almost certainly fail for some unimaginable reason - the height needed to hoist over lifelines being #1

The above assumes the victim's fall overboard was witnessed by the crew. If it wasn't, all bets are off. Notate course so you can head in a reciprocal , stop boat, hit MOB (you'll need the Lat/Long for CG) , turnaround, and hope for the best.

Having taught all-women close quarter classes including MOB drills, I don't think many husbands appreciate how much their wife worries about what to do if something happens to their husband. The idea of being helpless to assist their beloved is terrifying and sad beyond description. For many sailing couples, they will not be able to gel into a filling functional cruising couple until that gap is filled.

The CCA used to run seminars on "Suddenly Alone" for cruising couples.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/su...tally-control/

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 04:51   #30
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Suddenly Singlehanded

After years of being a RYA cruising instructor , and participating in stacks of training scenarios including mob curriculum examination

If it’s the wife left aboard , then unless you in the water , can effectively reboard yourself , you WILL not be recovered

Here’s my own rules

1. Do everything in your power to ensure crew don’t go over , at night it’s a death sentence

2. If an mob is detected ,create a debris field. ( however this is often difficult , as often everything is stowed in lockers )

3. Visual spotting will fail , a single person cannot maintain a continuous spotting process ,

4. And the key factor to teach your wife or partner
STOP the “ F ing “ boat ASAP. By any means possible , round up, get the motor on , unless your partner is skilled , getting the sails down can be challenging , close hauled or on a reach rounding up should be ok , downwind stopping the boat is very challenging and avoiding a vicious standing gybe can be problematic if the partner panics

The key is to ensure the boat doesn’t leave the area , forget all this reach tack reach nonsense etc it’s all bunkum

The key is to allow you to swim back to your own boat and Re-board yourself.

Forget handy billies , and other stuff , in a panic , all that stuff will get “ F’ed up “

I remain unconvinced about the effectiveness of mob location technology but I’m open to correction

Ps. In warm water wear a PLB , at least you might get picked up before being eaten

PPS : for gods sake have a reliable easy to use boarding ladder system. Climbing up the wind vane is nuts, the ladder needs to extend 2-3 feet into the water when deployed. The ladder should be deploy-able from the water

Tags
single