Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 11:31   #91
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Skipper's Duty Towards Refugees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

It's dark as the inside of a cow.
Ann. You have been in Australia too long.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-10-2014, 15:01   #92

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sa a sola female, i think that i would make sure they arent direly in need of saving, then get enough space between to be feeling safe yet able to see, and call for help on vhf... pan pan..at such coordinates, and stand by until i saw something was gonna improve.
Well, this makes me a sola female too, I think. Which means you are not sola.

Love&flowers,
barnakiel
Old 06-10-2014, 15:12   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For me there is a bright line . . . . If they indicate distress in any of the recognized ways, or ask for help, or someone is overboard, I will go to help . . . . Otherwise I will consider it none of my business, and not attempt to guess their intent or legal status, nor "report" my guesses.

As an aside, during a birthday party we had 50 middle aged Scot's on board Hawk. They do fit, but they also do noticably effect the boat's stability.
Old 06-10-2014, 15:35   #94

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Dear Rustic Charm!

Please, make me a favour. Take Your boat, drop Your passport and all documents overboard, do not apply for any visa, sail to the United States, Canada, Japan, or any European country and claim, that You are coming legally because You are coming by boat. Next please, post report here.

With my very best regards,

waiting, but not holding my breath,

Tomasz
The point is, you are both correct. And many other posters are bang on too.

Can two people be right at the same time? Or is this beyond our "I, me, mine" as represented by vast swathes of apparently christian values praising societies?

Whoever says they should be drowned has an argument and whoever says they should be saved has and argument. And many a sailor knows what SOS stands for. Now let the illegal bodies disappear in the dark and silent abyss.

But it does not have to be this way. They do not have to die.

The EU central govt is NOT doing enough to help states like Greece, Italy and Spain manage the issue. Meanwhile, thousands of people drown every year in waters of Mediterraneo and in the Atlantic. These people die because politicians in Brussels are selfish, self-centered, money driven individuals interested solely in extending their publicly funded useless existences. We pay our politicians money that could be better used on the EU borders. To avoid people smuggling and to protect more humans/refugees/immigrants from sure death.

And we are like those politicians too, when we keep on arguing. More willing to save our self image than to face the stark reality.

Cheers,
Your by far favourite atheist,
b.
Old 06-10-2014, 15:41   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The point is, you are both correct. And many other posters are bang on too.

Can two people be right at the same time? Or is this beyond our "I, me, mine" as represented by vast swathes of apparently christian values praising societies?

Whoever says they should be drowned has an argument and whoever says they should be saved has and argument. And many a sailor knows what SOS stands for. Now let the illegal bodies disappear in the dark and silent abyss.

But it does not have to be this way. They do not have to die.

The EU central govt is NOT doing enough to help states like Greece, Italy and Spain manage the issue. Meanwhile, thousands of people drown every year in waters of Mediterraneo and in the Atlantic. These people die because politicians in Brussels are selfish, self-centered, money driven individuals interested solely in extending their publicly funded useless existences. We pay our politicians money that could be better used on the EU borders. To avoid people smuggling and to protect more humans/refugees/immigrants from sure death.

And we are like those politicians too, when we keep on arguing. More willing to save our self image than to face the stark reality.

Cheers,
Your by far favourite atheist,
b.
+2 we need to be stopping them on the beaches of north africa
Old 06-10-2014, 15:41   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

As an aside, during a birthday party we had 50 middle aged Scot's on board Hawk. They do fit, but they also do noticably effect the boat's stability.
Dang! Im getting me a Van de Stadt!
Old 06-10-2014, 15:43   #97
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Dear Rustic Charm!

Please, make me a favour. Take Your boat, drop Your passport and all documents overboard, do not apply for any visa, sail to the United States, Canada, Japan, or any European country and claim, that You are coming legally because You are coming by boat. Next please, post report here.

With my very best regards,

waiting, but not holding my breath,

Tomasz
Hmm... while I'm sure RC can answer for himself, let me make a couple of comments.

RC claimed that it is not illegal for refugees to arrive in such a fashion. I tend to agree with him but I'm no legal eagle.

Tossing your paperwork over the side does not make anyone a refugee and to do so on a whim (or as favour to a CF member ) is possibly illegal - certainly foolhardy.

However if I was shipwrecked and made it ashore in any first world country (and most others) without any paperwork, I would expect that country to test my claim of shipwreck (or whatever) and then not hinder me in getting back home.

The refugee word is a loaded one but it does have a formal meaning within the UNHCR framework and it helps (IMO) to stick with formal definitions when discussing an emotive and complex issue.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-10-2014, 15:46   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

However if I was shipwrecked and made it ashore in any first world country (and most others) without any paperwork, I would expect that country to test my claim of shipwreck (or whatever) and then not hinder me in getting back home.
Hahaha

Im laughing because I recently had my passport chewed by a dog whilst in Spain. I went to the British Embassy.
They would issue me with an Emergency Passport, but not without paying 124 EUR for it.....

Good luck with getting home
Old 06-10-2014, 16:04   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Dang! Im getting me a Van de Stadt!
You just don't want them all rushing to the same side at the same time to watch the fireworks
Old 06-10-2014, 16:06   #100

Boat: Cape Dory 28

How come if an ill prepared skipper goes to sea and has to be rescued everyone trashes him for costing the taxpayer money for the rescue but if you have "refugees" with fifty people on a boat swampin Europe everyone feels sorry for them?
Old 06-10-2014, 16:07   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... while I'm sure RC can answer for himself, let me make a couple of comments.

RC claimed that it is not illegal for refugees to arrive in such a fashion. I tend to agree with him but I'm no legal eagle.

Tossing your paperwork over the side does not make anyone a refugee and to do so on a whim (or as favour to a CF member ) is possibly illegal - certainly foolhardy.

The refugee word is a loaded one but it does have a formal meaning within the UNHCR framework and it helps (IMO) to stick with formal definitions when discussing an emotive and complex issue.

May be, just may be, I got the Rustic Charm's post wrong. If so, sorry. But I'm not so sure.
It is not true, that people coming by boats are refugees and illegal immigrants are just those who overstays their visas. May be it is the statistically important case for Australia? I do not know, of course.
But illegal immigrants constitute most of the visaless flow of people coming to the Europe and USA. It is good to understand this, as refugees and illegal immigrants should be treated differently.
No European governement denies the rights of refugees. And for (real) refugees means of transportations are not relevant. They can come in a spaceship even
So - there is no anything specific in coming by boat.
A refugee is a refugee coming by boat, plane, train, walking on own legs, riding the horse.
Illegal immigrant is illegal immigrant coming by boat, plane, train, walking on own legs, riding the horse.
Coming by boat does not make anybody legal, and this was, what I wanted to point out.

Cheers,

Tomasz
Old 06-10-2014, 16:11   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
+2
We need to be stopping them on the beaches of north africa
+... how many??? ...never mind... You are just right!!!
Old 06-10-2014, 16:13   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
How come if an ill prepared skipper goes to sea and has to be rescued everyone trashes him for costing the taxpayer money for the rescue but if you have "refugees" with fifty people on a boat swampin Europe everyone feels sorry for them?
why do Europeans feel sorry for refugees?:because it pisses off our facist middle class elitist, ruling elite!

,not so long ago half of the European population were refugees,either from the communists or the Nazis.........or both in the case of israel!
Old 06-10-2014, 16:17   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
For me there is a bright line . . . . If they indicate distress in any of the recognized ways, or ask for help, or someone is overboard, I will go to help . . . . Otherwise I will consider it none of my business, and not attempt to guess their intent or legal status, nor "report" my guesses.

Very good answer!
Old 06-10-2014, 16:29   #105

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
why do Europeans feel sorry for refugees?:because it pisses off our facist middle class elitist, ruling elite!

,not so long ago half of the European population were refugees,either from the communists or the Nazis.........or both in the case of israel!
I'm not sure I follow you....
Closed Thread

Tags
skipper