Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2010, 10:39   #1

Series Drogue

I would like to buy a SERIES DROGUE.

Is the JORDAN the only one and does somebody know some other manufacturers (for comparing prices) ?

PS: I am not opening a discussion again on the value of a series drogue as I have read about it already in the this forum (using the search function).

Thanks !
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:43   #2

Sailrite sells the kits to make your own.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 13:20   #3

Boat: 36' custom steel
Speaking from experience, making your own series drogue is extremely laborious. Mine is a little over half done. Been that way for two years. Every winter I find other things to do.
Old 29-01-2010, 13:40   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
There was a seller on ebay in uk making the drogues, not sure if they are still there. One moment.....
Here they are
124 JORDAN SERIES DROGUE CONES SEA ANCHOR SURVIVAL PARA : eBay Motors (item 380129270013 end time Jan-31-10 09:13:28 PST)
Still have to supply the line and splice them one yourself though.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 14:46   #5

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefloki View Post
I would like to buy a SERIES DROGUE.

Is the JORDAN the only one and does somebody know some other manufacturers (for comparing prices) ?
Snip
When I bought my drogue I looked for other makes and all I came across was a reduced size parachute type that I didn't really have a lot of confidence in. Mainly I was concerned that following seas were likely to collapse it, resulting in high snatch loads when it suddenly refilled.

I experimented with the Jordan in a force 8, not that i needed it, I just wanted to see how it behaved. For what it's worth I'm very happy with the results.
I also came across this today Delta Drogue: Speed Limiting and Steering Assists Drogue for Small Craft though I don't think it's as good as the multiple brakes on the Jordan.

I used this search today to look over what google could find
Google

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 01:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
There was a seller on ebay in uk making the drogues, not sure if they are still there. One moment.....
Here they are
124 JORDAN SERIES DROGUE CONES SEA ANCHOR SURVIVAL PARA : eBay Motors (item 380129270013 end time Jan-31-10 09:13:28 PST)
Still have to supply the line and splice them one yourself though.
Thanks all, if any more manufacturers, please post here.

I have contacted the UK company to inquire for a complete system, it seems to me to be a reasonable price.
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 03:21   #7

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Recommend Building One Yourself

I have 32 parachutes left to weave into the 3/4 double braid. I just completed attaching number 100 last night. You have to tie 9 knots per chute. I ended up with exactly 90 chutes on the 150 ft of 5/8 double braid section.

It is taking about 4.5 minutes to attach one. I also recommend making an insert tool out of coat hanger wire. I'm getting good at attaching these chutes.

I bought the chutes pre-sewn from Sailrite. They are of high quality. It has been a great project for this winter and it doesn't seem like it has taken that much time (we get 2-400 inches of snow per year here.) In fact, extremely therapeutic.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
It has been a great project for this winter and it doesn't seem like it has taken that much time (we get 2-400 inches of snow per year here.) In fact, extremely therapeutic.
I was sailing in the San Juans this weekend. Very therapeutic.

Drogue is still not getting done.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30   #9

Hiracer...
Perhaps you can really get on it and finish it when you know some severe weather is headed for you. Normally you get advance notice on big storms.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:25   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
I have 32 parachutes left to weave into the 3/4 double braid. I just completed attaching number 100 last night. You have to tie 9 knots per chute. I ended up with exactly 90 chutes on the 150 ft of 5/8 double braid section.

It is taking about 4.5 minutes to attach one. I also recommend making an insert tool out of coat hanger wire. I'm getting good at attaching these chutes.

I bought the chutes pre-sewn from Sailrite. They are of high quality. It has been a great project for this winter and it doesn't seem like it has taken that much time (we get 2-400 inches of snow per year here.) In fact, extremely therapeutic.
Just watched the Sailrite video on how to assemble/sew the series drogue cones... They mentioned the cones being made with 'nylon' - Is this like spinnaker cloth or dacron or other? What is yours made from?

Thanks!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25   #11

Quote:
Hiracer...
Perhaps you can really get on it and finish it when you know some severe weather is headed for you. Normally you get advance notice on big storms.
I was being goofy. I sail protected waters and don't need a series drogue now. It's for when I cut shore lines and head for real water. A ways off, unfortunately.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Just watched the Sailrite video on how to assemble/sew the series drogue cones... They mentioned the cones being made with 'nylon' - Is this like spinnaker cloth or dacron or other? What is yours made from?

Thanks!

Sailndive
It's light to medium sail cloth, IIRC. I thought it was Dacron. Surprised they say nylon.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:47   #13

I called Sailrite to get the weight of the cone material when I was doing the research. I don't remember exactly at this time but it was maybe 50% heavier or more than the recommended cone weight of 1 1/2 oz ripstop dacron.

Anyway, they are ripstop and feel and look like a treated dacron sailcloth. They are stiffer than a spinnaker cloth which is typically 3/4 or 1.5 oz ripstop nylon.

I ordered the cones assembled and the sewing on each seemed to be perfect. They must have a machine that spits these out as they are very uniform in construction.
Old 02-02-2010, 17:12   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Thanks for the info! I'll add it to my list of projects... seemed simple but tedious as you stated...

I am thinking of recycling my old mainsail to make the cones - can you think of any problem with this?

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 19:00   #15

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Thanks for the info! I'll add it to my list of projects... seemed simple but tedious as you stated...

I am thinking of recycling my old mainsail to make the cones - can you think of any problem with this?

Sailndive
I constructed my series drogue cones with six ounce sailcloth that I carried on board Exit Only. I purchased a wide strip of sailcloth before I started my trip around the world. By the time I arrived in New Zealand, I had not made any sail repairs, and I used the six ounce sailcloth to make the cones for the series drogue. I made about 120 of them.

After I cut them out and purchased the webbing for attaching the cones to the yacht braid, I took the cones and webbing to a place that did sewing repairs for a business. For about a hundred bucks, they sewed the webbing to the cones, and they sewed the cones into their proper shape. Having someone else do all that sewing was awesome.

Attaching the cones to the yacht braid went very quickly. I did not feel it was a big deal.

Sail cloth worked fine for my series drogue. The sail cloth cones are not going to collapse or be blown out under load.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drogue