Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 17:52   #1

Sailing primer one-pager for newbie crew

Hello,

When I sail, I frequently bring folks who are novices but who want to help. After going through a beginner crew briefing a number of times, I felt it useful to provide a study guide ahead of time. I wanted everything to fit into a single printed page (front and back):

https://sites.google.com/site/mijago...aelGourlay.pdf

I'm open to feedback: correctness, usefulness, formatting, whatever.

Thoughts?
mijagourlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 20:53   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Sailing primer one-pager for newbie crew

Probably be a lot better if you uploaded the PDF rather than linking to it, especially since it’s 2 steps away, not just a single click.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 22:03   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

A good start, although there's a lot of unspecified stuff in there. Is this intended for your boat? In which case you have to identify things like whether you put the transmission in reverse or not. Otherwise it's pointless putting it in there.

Spelling of "gybe" and "gybing"

The temptation to teach all you know is overwhelming when doing something like this. I think it would be more useful to have some very specific instructions in there for example how to turn off the autopilot, dump the halyards, and turn on the engine in case you fall overboard.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 22:07   #4

I don't want that to sound too critical. This is a very hard thing to put together and very few people would go to the trouble of posting it for comments, so great job so far
Old 04-03-2020, 04:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mijagourlay.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:06   #6

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijagourlay View Post
Hello,

When I sail, I frequently bring folks who are novices but who want to help. After going through a beginner crew briefing a number of times, I felt it useful to provide a study guide ahead of time. I wanted everything to fit into a single printed page (front and back):

Thoughts?

I always like a good “couple of pages” quick guide. It is an easy refresh / intro. Otherwise they can read a good intro book (comes in mind “Plain Sailing, learning to see like a sailor” by Dallas Murphy and “Sailing the Basics” by Dave Franzel). I like yours too!
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:16   #7

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

This is great! Thanks!

I usually just single hand everything so as not to rely on newbies or guests, but having them familiar with these things will also make their journey more enjoyable, too.

Cheers
Lee
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:32   #8

Boat: Dufour 29

Congratulations on a nice job. I could suggest lots of little edits and additions, but that would just be personal taste. What you have done gives people something to hold on to and a good advance notice of what to be ready for. When they come aboard they will have forgotten half of the content anyway, but this gives them a good basis to build on. Anything missing will be something you fill them in on.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36   #9

Thank you for the primer, you've put some work into this and it's a very good start for novices. More would be confusing. I remember my first overnight sail a friend of mine had invited on, with an experienced female captain who had crossed the Atlantic with one other in this 32ft. sloop. She needed/wanted company to bring the boat to another harbor on the other side of Cape Cod canal. I brought my girlfriend, who between the two of us we had about 1.5 hours of sailing experience. Jill quickly realized she had bodies aboard but almost no "crew". She immediately took out her label gun and started labeling every sheet and wench and everything she might have occasion to bark out an order for. It was very helpful, we had a great time, learned a ton stuff, and developed a passion for sailing which continues to this day, almost 45 years later. More memorable stories about this trip I'll save for another post.
Buzzy
Longinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijagourlay View Post
Hello,

Thoughts?
Short list is best

Don’t clog the toilet

Don’t fall over the side

Don’t hang out in the companionway

No politics
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 13:21   #11

And don't forget to add, "THE CAPTAIN IS ALWAYS RIGHT"
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 13:33   #12

Good two page primer. On other boats, I've always heard "helms alee" or "hard alee" and I've never heard "tacking", but maybe you want all three.
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 13:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickfred View Post
Good two page primer. On other boats, I've always heard "helms alee" or "hard alee" and I've never heard "tacking", but maybe you want all three.
I use neither

I shout

Stand aside or loose a limb !

Everyone knows what this means
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 14:46   #14

I found your sheet very helpful. I had two novice people sail with me last summer. It was horrible. I thought they knew something about sailing but learned afterward they got on the boat it had been years and they had forgotten most everything.

you can tell you gave this serious thought.

thanks. I'm printing out and keeping onboard.
sondra
sondra elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 15:06   #15

Every boat I've ever been the call has always been "Lee-ho" or "Gybe-ho". Lee-ho refers to pulling the tiller to lee.

Tags
crew, sail, sailing