Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2019, 09:48   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit
Which goes on first. Awlgrip 545 primer or high build primer?

I will hopefully be ready for primer on my hull soon. The are many dings chips and gouges I will be filling and fairing before priming.

My plan was to prime with two coats of 545 primer and then a coat of high build primer to sand smooth eliminating the small imperfections in the surface. I assume most of the high build will be sanded off in the process.

Is this the correct order of operation or does the high build go on first, sand it smooth and then the 545?
Old 17-06-2019, 12:37   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Which goes on first. Awlgrip 545 primer or high build primer?

AWLGRIP High Build: Ideal for use over Awlgrip primers
https://www.awlgrip.com/products/primers/high-build
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 12:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
AWLGRIP High Build: Ideal for use over Awlgrip primers
https://www.awlgrip.com/products/primers/high-build
Thank you.

I have read that application guide so many times. I guess my reading comprehension has gone to zero as I just didn't recall reading the order of operation.

I feel a little silly having this pointed out to me now. When all else fails, read the manual..... again
Old 17-06-2019, 13:53   #4

I'm redoing my deck too and never thought of using Awlgrip High Build so I was interested in the question. All the DIY videos and articles just use fairing compound and sand.

What's your logic for using the high build?

I know it sometimes gets frustrating when you know how easy it is to look something up and you see someone else asking you to do it. My last stupid was a google search that pointed me to the wrong model windlass. I didn't notice the model number was different. I then asked a question about an option that didn't exist for the windlass I was actually researching.

have a great week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170912_172319.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	194117   Click image for larger version

Name:	every 20 minute job.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	194119  

Old 17-06-2019, 13:56   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

The high build primer goes on first, it's purpose being to fill the zillion little flaws in the surface that you can't see. It's pretty soft stuff and sands like butter, which is good because most of it is going to come off. Then the 545 goes on, which is fairly tough stuff, then the top coats.
Old 17-06-2019, 14:26   #6

Got it.

As long as I find and fix the high and low spots I'm currently not worried about minor flaws. Like everything in life that's subject to change. I'll be putting non-skid over the deck paint so hopefully minor flaws won't be easily discernible.

If you don't follow Boatworks Today on youtube you might find these videos of interest, especially the fairing tools he uses:

Old 17-06-2019, 14:54   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

I used high build primer on my topsides when I repainted them. Because I was painting the hull a dark color, I think it was important.

I renovated the deck about a year ago. Just sprayed the 545, which made every flaw pop out. Addressed those with 3M premium marine filler, then another coat of 545, final touch with the marine filler, then the gloss and non-skid.
Old 17-06-2019, 15:15   #8

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Awlgrip high build DOES NOT sand like butter. It sands fairly well, if you get it within, say, 24 hours, but after that, it becomes quite hard to sand.

Awlgrip Awlquick, sands like butter, and is fairly soft stuff.

Awlgrip would like you to use 545 to seal the fairing compound, then awlquick, or High build, then 545 again before the finish coat.

In reality, most folks only use the 545 just before the finish coat.

Happy sanding.

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 17:18   #9

In the Awlgrip Application Guide it states the high build primer goes on after the 545 primer.

I assumed the high build is a little softer and most of it would be sanded off anyway leaving it to fill the small imperfections. At that point I will be down to the 545 for the paint. I am priming just my hull at this point and not the decks yet. I would like a nice finish on the hull sides and hence the use of the high build. The decks will need to be done also, but I probably will not worry about the small imperfections there as it will be covered in non skid.

I do watch the Boatworks Today channel and I had the Flexicat tools long before he or Mads from Sail Life did. I bought them based on Minarets recommendation on this forum years ago.
Old 17-06-2019, 17:27   #10

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Awlgrip would like to see you apply their products in this order.

1.Fairing compound.
2. Seal with 545; but many don't bother.
3. High build, or Awlquick.
4. 545.
5. Finish coats.
6. Smile.

The Awlgrip rep said I could skip #2, if I'm using Awlfair, fairing compound and it was very smooth; but if there was a problem, there would be no warranty. Many folks, apparently, skip #2.

The high build does help to give a very nice finish, if topped with 545. But you'll find the Awlquick much easier to sand.

Good luck.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 17:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I used high build primer on my topsides when I repainted them. Because I was painting the hull a dark color, I think it was important.

I renovated the deck about a year ago. Just sprayed the 545, which made every flaw pop out. Addressed those with 3M premium marine filler, then another coat of 545, final touch with the marine filler, then the gloss and non-skid.
You alternated coats of epoxy primer with a vinyl ester filler? Definitely not recommended - I hope you don't have adhesive issues. You should have used Awlfair (epoxy) filler instead.
SparkyDorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 10:22   #12

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1

I just had the waterline to toe rail painted on my 34 Pacific Seacraft. I can not tell you how nice this turned out.

I spent a month fixing every scratch and ding on the boat before turning it over to the paint crew.

They took over by washing, wiping, and resanding the whole boat with 220. Applied 2 coats of 545, then epoxy spot puttied what l missed, sanded with 220 again, then a third coat of 545. A few more spots missed with epoxy spot putty, then sanded with 320.

Wiped down again with the recommended Awlgrip product, then they sprayed 2 coats of top coat...

Boat looks better than new. Im tickled pink.

All products used were Awlgrip. Final paint goes over the 545. This 2 part primer seals in all the prep and hard work.

When in doubt, call an Awlgrip rep. They love to help make sure their product looks great and will last.

Darrel
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 10:23   #13

Boat: 44 footer

Sparky:

The Awlgrip bible says you can use small amounts of polyester filler between coats of epoxy primer.

I use evercoat ultrasmooth, as my sales rep said they tried to buy the formula...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 11:53   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

An alternative I like to use is
1: cleanup and basic sand the surface.
2: putty up all large/medium holes and gouges with epoxy or vinyl ester putty
3: Apply one or two coats of Slicksand a polyester “high “build primer. It’s advantages are cures in 45 minutes or so and is mush less costly than Awlgrip High build.
4: Sand and apply any good glazing putty like 3-M to minor scratches left.
5: Apply one or two coats of 545. Sand between them with 180 or 220 grit.
6: final sand last coat with 320 grit. If doing brush on non-skid the 180 grit is fine.
7: wash surfaces and let dry.
8: when ready to paint wipe down with clean rags and denatured alcohol. Wear gloves to prevent oil from skin touching surface.
9: Apply topcoat whatever you choose.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote