Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 03:22   #31

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Sailing primer one-pager for newbie crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Every boat I've ever been the call has always been "Lee-ho" or "Gybe-ho". Lee-ho refers to pulling the tiller to lee.

If I heard someone yell “lee ho” I’d have no idea what they meant and would probably look towards the downwind side of the boat to see if we were about to hit something. That might well be a common term some places but not others.

“Helm’s alee” was a term we used a lot growing up sailing small boats with a tiller and it made sense to newbies because they could see the tiller being pushed to the leeward side of the boat, assuming they knew what leeward meant. But on a wheel steered cruising sailboat “ helms alee” seems confusing because the wheel needs to be turned into the wind, not away from it. I think it’s better to say something like “prepare to tack or prepare to come about” followed by “tacking” or even “here we go” or “coming about.”

Since jibing is done so infrequently compared with tacking and has so much more potential for things going badly awry, I never just call out jibe ho or similar and instead brief the crew what’s going to happen before each jibe. If someone screws up a tack, about the worst that can happen is being stuck in irons but if someone jibes improperly or without the crew understanding the process, people can get hurt and the boat badly damaged. So each time I jibe I brief it first.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:03   #32

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Looks fairly good for casual daytime sailing for new crew.

We like to emphasize safety, and repeat over and over:
One hand for the boat, one hand for you!

This is something easy to remember and seems to stick with them.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 14:27   #33

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
If I heard someone yell “lee ho” I’d have no idea what they meant and would probably look towards the downwind side of the boat to see if we were about to hit something. That might well be a common term some places but not others.

“Helm’s alee” was a term we used a lot growing up sailing small boats with a tiller and it made sense to newbies because they could see the tiller being pushed to the leeward side of the boat, assuming they knew what leeward meant. But on a wheel steered cruising sailboat “ helms alee” seems confusing because the wheel needs to be turned into the wind, not away from it. I think it’s better to say something like “prepare to tack or prepare to come about” followed by “tacking” or even “here we go” or “coming about.”

Since jibing is done so infrequently compared with tacking and has so much more potential for things going badly awry, I never just call out jibe ho or similar and instead brief the crew what’s going to happen before each jibe. If someone screws up a tack, about the worst that can happen is being stuck in irons but if someone jibes improperly or without the crew understanding the process, people can get hurt and the boat badly damaged. So each time I jibe I brief it first.
Well the first time you hear anything it's unlikely to make sense unless someone has explained it to you first. Do you suggest that every single piece of sailing terminology is avoided and replaced by a sentence?

Explaining what the words mean is a big part of the introduction to sailing
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:05   #34

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Well the first time you hear anything it's unlikely to make sense unless someone has explained it to you first. Do you suggest that every single piece of sailing terminology is avoided and replaced by a sentence?

Explaining what the words mean is a big part of the introduction to sailing

That’s why, if I’m trying to communicate a common concept such as tacking, I try to use terms that are easily understood by just about any sailor, such as “tacking” or “coming about.” Those are terms that are found in virtually every book about sailing ever written, but “lee ho” is MUCH less common so less likely to effectively communicate the intended action. Maybe where you live the term “lee ho” IS commonly understood but I’m 63 and have been sailing various boats with people from all kinds of backgrounds and I’ve never heard that term so I’d have no idea what you intended by saying that unless you’d briefed me first. But I bet that if I said “prepare to tack” every sailor aboard would understand just what was happening.

No, I don’t think a whole sentence is always required if common and well understood sailing terminology is used. Where I live, “lee ho” doesn’t qualify as a common and well understood sailing term though. For more complicated maneuvers, depending on your crew, an explanation might be required. For most of the people I have as crew, a quick reminder or review about just how we’re going to execute a jibe is prudent. If I were running a racing boat or usually had a crew of experienced sailors, then just a simple “prepare to jibe/jibing” would communicate everything needed for things to work out well. The same applies to approaching a slip. If I had a pro crew that sailed with me every week I wouldn’t have to say any more than let’s rig for port side to but with less experienced crew, it’s a good idea to go over some do’s and don’ts and what is expected of each crew member. You’ve got to tailor your sailing commands for your audience and of course the use of commonly used sailing terms contribute to a clear understanding.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 06:53   #35

Quote:
A good start, although there's a lot of unspecified stuff in there. Is this intended for your boat? In which case you have to identify things like whether you put the transmission in reverse or not. Otherwise it's pointless putting it in there.

Spelling of "gybe" and "gybing"

The temptation to teach all you know is overwhelming when doing something like this. I think it would be more useful to have some very specific instructions in there for example how to turn off the autopilot, dump the halyards, and turn on the engine in case you fall overboard.
Jibe US English, Gybe UK English
les22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 06:55   #36

Boat: Sceptre 36

I thought your info sheet was excellent for a starter. Good clear instructions. The new passengers will have a basic knowledge to build from. If keen they will listen and learn from the skipper. Passengers always want to contribute a hand to the experience.
I have printed it out and will alter for my own use and terminology that I use.
Thanks for the start. Great job.
Doug Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 06:59   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijagourlay View Post
Hello,

When I sail, I frequently bring folks who are novices but who want to help. After going through a beginner crew briefing a number of times, I felt it useful to provide a study guide ahead of time. I wanted everything to fit into a single printed page (front and back):

https://sites.google.com/site/mijago...aelGourlay.pdf

I'm open to feedback: correctness, usefulness, formatting, whatever.

Thoughts?
Excellent, well done. I like the cleat hitch with the locking turn but it is often hard for a beginner. I still get it wrong if I'm flustered.
The Clipper Round the World training teaches a simple OXO. Round the cleat, cross over twice then round the cleat again. It's easy to learn, easy to tie (and release), holds fine and you can always change to the lock hitch once the boat is in its final position.
les22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 08:10   #38

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijagourlay View Post
Hello,

When I sail, I frequently bring folks who are novices but who want to help. After going through a beginner crew briefing a number of times, I felt it useful to provide a study guide ahead of time. I wanted everything to fit into a single printed page (front and back):

https://sites.google.com/site/mijago...aelGourlay.pdf

I'm open to feedback: correctness, usefulness, formatting, whatever.

Thoughts?
Why do you repeatedly punish yourself, . give them a life jacket something to eat on a stick and free booze.... and seal off the head.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 08:57   #39

Boat: Sweet 16

Thanks for the primer. Prior to cruising with friends they are required to work through one of ASA's free sailing online exercises and learn how to tie a bowline.
Once aboard each is assigned a function appropriate for them.
#1 rule: no one dies, # 2 rule no yelling!
The primer sheet will be added...
MoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:43   #40

Boat: J/42

Interesting idea. Reminiscent of the Davis Instruments quick-reference cards. They are a little bit spendy, but I collected a few of them - available for crew to study in idle moments.

I did something a little bit different for pre-cruise information. One side is the "float plan." The other side has the proposed menu and check-lists of stuff to bring/not bring, etc. An extra reference page like yours might be a good addition. Or maybe reference to the same info on a web page? I guess if they have it in-hand, they might refresh the info when they go to look up "what's for dinner."

Of course, this only happens for something like a weekend trip, or bigger. Not much pre-planning for the more usual, "Hey, lets go sail for a couple of hours, right now!"
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 12:10   #41

Brilliant!! I wouldn't change or add anything. There's enough there for a newbie to chew on; the rest can be added along the way, like how to tie bowlines and clove hitches, and how to operate all the other gear, such as the motor and autopilot (in case the skipper falls overboard!), etc.
Brian Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 13:02   #42

First impressions
There's a lot of good information packed into the space. The diagrams are reasonably clear and cover basic terms well. Procedurals are thorough and well thought out.

Notes
For the "parts of the boat" diagrams, a large arrow showing direction of travel would help orient the viewer at a glance. Labels are a bit crowded near the stern. Perhaps omitting the lifeline and stanchion labels in favor of a helm label and moving the fender label forward would clarify things. The white text for "fore" and "aft" is a bit hard to see on the light grey arrows. Noting that halyards raise sails and sheets trim sails can clarify running rigging a bit.
I would like to see a dedicated section for safety. The man overboard instructions get lost at the bottom of the "what to wear" section. It would be good to include a diagram showing the location of the life-raft, lifesaver(s), life jacket stowage, first aid kit, fire extinguishers, epirb, etc. Perhaps you could condense the "what to wear" and "what to pack" sections into a smaller "what to bring" section that offers general suggestions for things not provided.
"Rules of the road" could be its own section as well. Besides listing the hierarchy of vessels, it would be good to include a diagram of which vessel is stand-on when similar vessels meet.

Overall, well done! It might even be good to have some of the sections laminated and posted on board where they'd be handy.

[Stuck on the hard in the mountains of NC]
ejeverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 04:48   #43

It’s a great summary for someone to read before they come on board.
On a small point, I would let go the topping lift only after raising the main.
Once on board, you have to show them a few important things, like how to operate the radio to call for help, where the flares are and how to use them. These for if you go overboard.
The other thing to tell them is that you go through a personality change when on board, from Mr Nice Guy to Supreme Commander, and when you give an instruction it must be obeyed instantly and without question. Explanations come later.
Pholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:32   #44

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

The pdf includes running but does show anything going dead down wind this is a comfortable sailing angle of a cat and can have better vmg than bearing off on a typical cruising cat.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:49   #45

Hey, these are all great suggestions! Thank you all for spending time reviewing this!

Lake-Effect: So far it's been for 2-day sails. Thanks for the feedback and follow-up!

Montanan: I love the diagram. And... did you see the Queeg quote at the top of the sheet?

Bill O: Yep, I end up telling people over and over various safety things. One person kept trying to dangle her legs off the side while we were trying to dock. I had to get short with her after the Nth time, as I kept visualizing her getting smushed between the boat and the dock. Plus people seem to want to leap around forward and hang out there during maneuvers. Fills me with anxiety.

les22: Good to know about the OXO. People struggle with both the cleat hitch and the round turn and 2 half hitches -- but they're the most common 2 knots people have to tie so I seek alternatives. OXO is way easier, and if I feel the urge to retie to a proper cleat hitch after we're docked, I have plenty of time to do it.
I found this picture of the OXO / figure-8. I want to find more.
http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/file...cleat54296.gif
(Aside: I have the Clipper brochures and attended one of their webinars. I might go some day.)

toddster8: Yes, I have those cards also! That's basically what inspired me to make this thing.
I like the variation you propose. I end up sending them that info also, but only in online web documents. Makes more sense for the float plan to be printed out; I get the impression people aren't actually reading any of the sailing part.

ejeverson: Thanks for the detailed feedback. I agree -- the diagram is crowded. Thanks for the specific tips. I'll have another go at it. BTW, I print it on waterproof paper. I like the idea of posting it around the boat.

Pholden: Thanks for the tip about the topping lift. This is exactly the kind of specifics I want.
JFYI I also go through the pre-depature checklist which includes having them operate the VHF, finding and checking dates on flares, finding through-hulls and a few other things.
I absolutely do need to make it a habit of explaining beforehand that I will be barking orders during events, and then explaining later. Like you wrote, yelling curt orders is obligatory for at least 2 reasons: It's noisy up there, and there is often no time for hesitation or discussion.

Thanks again, everybody!

mijagourlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, sail, sailing