Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 13:49   #1

Sailing Lessons

Hello all,

I am living in Belgium for the next few years and was trying to find a way to take sailing lessons while I am here. I live about 1.5 hrs from the coast, but should be able to get there regularly enough.

So, does anyone out there know where I might be able to do this?

I have never been on a sailboat before and can't wait for the chance to. I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

CB
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 12:38   #2

Re: Sailing Lessons

I do not know of any particular places in Belgium, but if you go down to marinas and ask around I am sure someone can guide you in the right direction. I just finished my first sailing class this past weekend and I guess you could say the "hook is firmly set now!"

Good luck,

Julie
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 17:15   #3

Thanks for the response Julie. Wow, first lesson. Can you post about your experience? Did you use a formal school or did you just find someone willing to teach you?

CB
Old 22-07-2012, 05:46   #4

Sure. I wish I could have found someone to teach me, but I went to a school. The first day was on a 27 foot vessel with a tiller. The next day was on a 34 foot vessel with a wheel. It was much more work than I was expecting since we had VERY light winds but it was so rewarding at the same time. I would definitely recommend it.
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 01:14   #5

I found a couple of schools here. One has a package for 890 Euros that includes classroom and days worth of sailing.

The other has three courses, Competent Crew, Day Skipper, and Coastal Skipper that seem to build upon each other. They are around 400 Euros each. They also provide an actual sail of 2 to 12 days depending on what you want where you go out and just get practical hands on experience and don't need any experience to do it. These start at 180 Euros up to about 600 Euros.

I think I will try one of the 2 day cruises and see what I think.
Old 24-07-2012, 08:38   #6

hi,
i followed yachtmaster at Altair school, and they have many courses at sea, departing from Nieuwpoort, i live in Belgium too, where are you living, i am also interested to take some course but alone is not funny:-)
Dominique
Domi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 08:54   #7

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
What language do you need the course to be in?
(the Belgian coast is Dutch speaking)
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 09:19   #8

Bonsoir!

I am living near Mons. The course would need to be in english. I am trying to learn French, but it is difficult for me. It is a tough language. I don't know any Dutch at all and very little German.
Old 24-07-2012, 09:27   #9

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Maybe Naviclass is something for you:
Www.naviclass.be
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 09:43   #10

If you have trouble finding a class in English (my experience is nearly all Belgians speak brilliant English but they might not want to actually teach the class in it) one option would be to fly to England. Could probably do it for 50 euros (with the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair etc.)

I worked in Belgium for a couple of months and flew back to Manchester most weekends. (and never went to see Bruges. That was dumb.)
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 18:32   #11

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

A good sailing foundation should include 3 courses. The first sailing course, is weekend-long and covers the basics/fundamentals of sailing and seamanship. It will also include some sailing time, usually on a 20-ft sloop. The second class, is usually 5-9 days long and covers navigation, communications, coastal sailing and more seamanship; including anchoring and night sailing. This course is a live-aboard on a 30-ft sailboat. It is a "taste" of actual sailing, but under the guidance of a skipper/instructor. The third class, usually runs 5 days and is not a live-aboard. It is to prepare you for "Bareboat Chartering". You will learn how to use every instrument/system on the sail boat and also learn basic troubleshooting; including unclogging a clogged head. You will also learn how to get yourself off a sand-bar, if you happen to get stuck.
Once you have completed these 3-course minimums, it will be time for you to crew with others. Your goal is to perfect your sailing skills; a lifetime endeavor. Good luck et Bonne Chance!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, sailing lessons