Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2009, 01:28   #1

Boat: Hartley Southseas 39 - Rhombus
Para anchor or a drouge on ferro yacht

Hay all planning my first passage in my own yacht in June from NZ, I have a 39ft Hartley Soauthseas and cant wait to get back up to Tonga and other islands I havent visited yet and get right into the cruising lifestyle or at least how I picture it.
My question is: Para anchor or drogue or does heaving to work just as well? has anyone every used one? how did it go, including retreval? would it make a difference that my yacht is Ferro Cement I just think if a wave strikes the bow there must be alot of weight on it.
Any comments would be helpfull and any feed back from Southseas owners would be cool to.

Thanks John-Lee
Jdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 02:37   #2

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
John-Lee,
I am not an expert in this area but after readeing everything I can find in the topic, my vote would be that if you have to choose one, go with the series drouge. Of course, there are as many opinions as there are sailors.
Go to Youtube and search "sailing crashes" then find "Anita im Orkan". If that doesn,t scare you, nothing will. It seems that a drouge would have served them well (IMHO).
Fair winds,
Jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, ferro