Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 14:51   #31

Re: My first Solo Distance Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don't bother with the battery booster pack, just wire in a a portable volt meter so you can see that it is charging and the state of the battery (edit, I have just seen you have a volt meter already.)

Do have a read of this, the whole website is full of really good stuff:

Measuring A Lead Acid Battery State of Charge Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Yea a voltmeter would be good. But before you buy one, check those instruments you don't run much. many of them have voltage readout mode!
The booster packs seem to require charging every few days to be effective. They also may not turn the starter with a real dead battery!
-Get used to your boat, find out how long you can go on those batteries.
-Make sure the batteries are holding charge as they should.
-never draw on both batteries.
-you will want the autopilot, so figure it out and add a battery if necessary, or run the engine. Diesels like to be run, if the wind gets light, motorsail a bit. never had an issue with running a diesel at lower rpm... I've never had solar or etc, always used the engine. Truckers idle their engines for hours and get super long life.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:00   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
They say that the restaurant at Pirate's Cove is where Jimmy Buffett got the inspiration for his song Cheeseburger in Paradise. A lady friend back in the day introduced me to it. We drove over from Pensacola back in maybe 1999

And this is another good sailor song of his ....

I believe that was Cabbage Key, no?

Enjoy Florida's bounty on Cabbage Key | Tampa Bay Times
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:02   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Maybe, I'm just going by what my friend Cheryl said.....
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:06   #34

Boat: Casacde 36

Like others suggest, I think averaging 4 kts is going to be tough to achieve. I have a 36 footer and, as I sail mostly (not motor sailing) I plan on an average of just under your 4 kts. If I have to beat upwind, I multiply the straight line distance by 1.6; that has been a good approximation of compensation for leeway and other inefficiencies (ie: not hard on it with a crew of deck apes on the rail).
You can really reduce the amount of juice, used by the tiller pilot, by trimming to balance the sail plan; then it should just about steer itself. If you come across a deal on a wind vane, jump on it!
Relax, enjoy it, you'll have a great time.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:39   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, there Seasalt,

I'm wondering whether your boat has a VHF? (mobile phones have been known to drown themselves carelessly.)

Ann
Old 08-02-2016, 02:03   #36

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 25 -Gozzard Designed

Ann- I do have a VHF, along with a handheld VHF. I also have a handheld HAM radio multiband radio that I will carry along. I can tune it to VHF, WX, and many other bands! It is fun to listen to at times.

Kiwijohn- Thanks for the tip! My goal is to make as straight a line as possible. If that involves motor sailing, cool. Just motoring... okay. Sailing.. great! I will just try to maintain 4 knots. My yanmar can push me around 5 knots at the moment, not quite to hull speed. But, I'm hoping after a fresh oil change and a new bottom job she will be more efficient.

Cheechako- I have a volt meter, but am in no way, shape, or form an electrical guru. Frankly, I put electricity and black magic in the same category. But, I wll monitor them both.

Juho- I do not know if the switch allows them to be ran separately due to them being currently in what appears to be a parallel mode. I'll have to take a pictureof the setup then post it to here! Do keep checking back please!

Ndavies- I think you have convinced me to take the ICW upon reaching Mobile Bay! I love exploring new spots to eat/drink. I hope they have IPA on tap.

Wulf- I pumped the tank out myself with a hand pump. Did I inspect it thoroughly? no. Did I suck up some/most of the brown gunk? Yes. Refilled wiht fresh diesel and a healthy dose of BIOBOR. I'll keep an eye on those batteries and will get to know the vessel this weekend. Cat island for the night, wade fishing the next day, then sailing her to Biloxi to Rebel Boat Works for a bottom job. I will spend a full 36 hours on her, not to mention the work I'm doing to prepare for the trip. Checking packing, tranny oil change, engine oil change, water tank flush, etc.

Adrian- All good advice! I consider myself a pretty good sailor, having done it for the past 20 of my 27 year life. I have good, accessible reefing point build into the main, but I will be sur eto keep some reefing line close at hand. I have a GPS/Chartplotter on board, but I also have active captain, and skipper on the Iphone and tablet should the Garmin let me down.

Dave- I will keep that in the frontal lobe! If I doze, its going to be during the day, in the cockpit. And thanks for letting me know about the draw form the autotiller. I watched a youtube video of a guy in a montgomery 17 sail around the keys with one just running off a battery. At least I have multiple ways to charge my battery!!

Hamburking- Thanks for the kind words! I love my little boat. Though, I don't spend nearly the time I should on her, now that I live near where I keep her it should be a different story. This website, along with my new job as renewed my thirst for underway adventures. And you are correct, a Bayfield is no speed demon. But, I feel comfy in 20-30 where other vessel my size don't.

Thomm, Freywye- I just checked the pilot chart we have here onboard my vessel-Looks like winds are steady out of the south east which means I shoudl be able to maintain a starboard tack

Thank you for this wealth on info! I will be sure to check in after my cat island/biloxi shake down cruise!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 03:55   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
Like others suggest, I think averaging 4 kts is going to be tough to achieve. I have a 36 footer and, as I sail mostly (not motor sailing) I plan on an average of just under your 4 kts. If I have to beat upwind, I multiply the straight line distance by 1.6; that has been a good approximation of compensation for leeway and other inefficiencies (ie: not hard on it with a crew of deck apes on the rail).
You can really reduce the amount of juice, used by the tiller pilot, by trimming to balance the sail plan; then it should just about steer itself. If you come across a deal on a wind vane, jump on it!
Relax, enjoy it, you'll have a great time.
Every boat and every skipper is different, I guess, but he has a 20 foot waterline, so his hull speed is 6 knots. He ought to be able to make 5 knots day in and day out if he's willing to put the motor on in light winds. That's only 120 miles a day, and I don't think it's all that ambitious for that boat. My old Pearson 365 had a 30 foot waterline and hull speed of a bit over 7 knots; we could normally keep up 6 knots without too much trouble, although it usually involved a fair amount of motoring or motor-sailing, since that boat sailed like a pig. In my present boat, with 47 foot waterline, 110 miles is a day sail with a decent wind, and I've done it, single-handed.

It's different of course if you're bashing upwind, or if you're drifting in light winds and don't want to motor.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:23   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My first Solo Distance Sail

Now I'm not that familiar with these waters as I've only done certain parts of the ICW in the Carolina's and Florida.. but I do know Speed over ground is a lot different from Speed through the water.. which is what Hull Speed is based on...
I've sat on a 24ftr in a F5 broad reach doing 6kts and staring at the Needles (as they used to be.. sigh..!!) for 5hrs.. caught by the ebb..
I do know well what the tides run like in the places I've sailed and no way will he average hull speed (over ground).. even with the most favourable conditions.. he'll be losing X knots for 6hrs at least twice on the trip.. best bet do it in neaps inside.. one rarely makes up the lost ground..
Outside.. ruled by sea state.. but still stay with neaps..

PS: Just remembered another time the log read 7kts.. the GPS read 14kts over ground... that was running with the tide from Gurnsey..lol

PPS: Also.. its not the boat that's the concern.. its him trying to cram it in so he can land running.. don't want to read about a silly mistake coz he was knackered.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:19   #39

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt2012 View Post
Thomm, Freywye- I just checked the pilot chart we have here onboard my vessel-Looks like winds are steady out of the south east which means I shoudl be able to maintain a starboard tack

Thank you for this wealth on info! I will be sure to check in after my cat island/biloxi shake down cruise!!!
Yep, he was saying the pilot charts said SE but from 10 years of practical experience from say late Spring as in June through September Prevailing Winds from Ft Walton to Biloxi are SSW-SW (12 noon - dusk)

At the time I was there, we were sailing boats without engines so doing a 30-100 mile race it was important to really know the winds in the area.

I did the 100 miler out of Ft Walton 4X on boats from 17'-20'. The fastest trip was 12 hours on a Nacra 6.0 sloop rig no spinnaker. The wind went SSW at around 9am or so that day and stayed there most of day. (September 1997)

Either way, have a safe trip and don't ruin it with lack of sleep. You say it's just for the weekend.

You could drive over in what 2 hours?

Typical Wind forecast for the Race:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/news/72/...ton-beach,-fl/

The race traditionally begins at 7a.m. with one start for all competitors. The initial direction is due east in the Choctawhatchee Bay as the boats head for the East Pass located 3 miles from the start in Destin. The wind is usually 4 to 6 knots from the Northeast so the start is a one legged beat. Rounding a turning mark off the shoals of Crab Island the boats head for the Destin Bridge and the East Pass. There they meet the Destin Charter Boat fleet heading out the Pass for a colorful parade of sailors and fishing boats. Spectators line the Destin Bridge and capture some beautiful shots as the fleet will hoist spinnakers using the NNE breeze to speed them out the Pass.

The Destin Pass is lined with white sandy beaches and the water is turquoise so the run to the Sea Buoy is spectacular. It is approximately half a mile out the Pass so leaving this to starboard the fleet will now head due west for 50 miles of beautiful sailing in the Gulf of Mexico. As it is usually favored to stay along the shore to take advantage of the east to west flowing beach current most of the competitors will stay within 1 to 2 miles of shore. As the sun rises higher and starts its usual east to west trajectory the wind follows it. Thus the NNE breeze in the morning will give way to a Southeast veer that will usually turn southerly before going to the Southwest in the late afternoon. This makes for a lot of spinnaker work and reaching in the Gulf before reaching the Pensacola Pass.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:30   #40

Hey - I've spent most all my life here on the Gulf Coast and would be pleased to speak with you about sailing from Bay St. Louis to P'cola. I spent a number of years delivering boat here on the coast and have sailed solo the majority of the time. Dauphin Island is a great lay over point as are many of the suggested areas. Give me a call if you'd like to talk about your trip, boat our for that matter any other nautical issue. If you are a member of your local Yacht Club remember you can say a free night at any of the GYA clubs along the way. I look forward to hearing from you. Capt Jeff 251 401 4702
captjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:35   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Welcome to your first long distance SH voyage. Once you are out of sight of land you will truly come to understand the meaning of peace.

With regard to your autopilot, the first thing you will learn is that they break. They break themselves, or your power system breaks, or your engine generator breaks, or something else in the long chain of events breaks. So you should be prepared for that.

BUT DON'T WORRY. It is no big deal at all when auto breaks.

Download the FREE book here: Resources | Singlehanded Sailing Society
In this book is chapter 5 on how to set up an emergency self steering using only a bungee cord or surgical tubing. There is also an accompanying youtube video. (Just search for Foolish Muse Self Steering) This system works very very well. So check it out. For the cost of a bungee cord you've got a complete backup.

With regard to your actual voyage, I can tell you that there is absolutely no problem with taking 30 minute naps. (Others will disagree based on rules yadda-yadda-yadda) But guess what, all of us keen singlehanders do it all the time. It's just standard practice. You will find another section in the book about this subject alone.

In reality, if your voyage is 28 hours and if you start in the morning, then you are unlikely to sleep anyway. You'll be running on adrenaline. It only becomes an issue when the wind dies and you are left drifting for 4 hours or 14 hours. This will be the most stressful time for you. So take a book and learn to love the alone time. I find singing helps.

Have fun out there. My only wish is that you come to love singlehanded sailing as much as I do.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:35   #42

Boat: Oday 25

I've done tricks at the wheel for more than 24 hours, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But I was not the only person on the boat. When we're tired we tend to make poor decisions. I would try to anchor somewhere and get a good rest around halfway. And autopilots sometimes go nuts without warning.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:10   #43

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

If your in hurry don't order a burger at the Cove. Even if you're the only customer they don't start cooking it for at least 30-40 minutes. Don't get me wrong, a great place to hang out, been there many times. And a good burger, too.

No doubt Jimmy has eaten one there but it's not the only place that claims a connection to the song. His sister owns
restaurant "down the road" (Lulu's) and lives in the area. If you happen to see him, don't make a fuss as he doesn't care for that.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:03   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: My first Solo Distance Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
If your in hurry don't order a burger at the Cove. Even if you're the only customer they don't start cooking it for at least 30-40 minutes. Don't get me wrong, a great place to hang out, been there many times. And a good burger, too.

No doubt Jimmy has eaten one there but it's not the only place that claims a connection to the song. His sister owns
restaurant "down the road" (Lulu's) and lives in the area. If you happen to see him, don't make a fuss as he doesn't care for that.
Hey Andyeeeeeeeee...!!
You kin chuck that burger on now.. table 5's on his 3rd beer..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 23:56   #45

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 25 -Gozzard Designed

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjeff View Post
Hey - I've spent most all my life here on the Gulf Coast and would be pleased to speak with you about sailing from Bay St. Louis to P'cola. I spent a number of years delivering boat here on the coast and have sailed solo the majority of the time. Dauphin Island is a great lay over point as are many of the suggested areas. Give me a call if you'd like to talk about your trip, boat our for that matter any other nautical issue. If you are a member of your local Yacht Club remember you can say a free night at any of the GYA clubs along the way. I look forward to hearing from you. Capt Jeff 251 401 4702
Capt. Jeff! Hello! I am a member of BWYC and I did not know that my GYA membership granted me a free overnighter at a club. That is good to hear. I'm on shore half the year so I may be giving you a call and bouncing ideas/questions off you. 228 380 0905 will show up when I do. I always enjoy meeting a fellow sailor, especially one from the area. I grew up racing for BWYC and for St. Stanislaus, then went on to South Alabama and was on their sailing team as well as Texas A&M's when I transferred to their Maritime Academy. I still found a way to get back to good ole South Mississippi though!!

Tags
sail