Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2020, 10:21   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Fender inventory. Care to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I like having one or two large, inflatable fenders, like these. Easy to store and long enough to deploy when you get pinned on a roigh dock or rafted to a large, ugly fish boat.
Beat me to it Paul. These are what we carry as well. We use the mid-sized, heavy duty versions, and carry six or seven. Since they deflate to a small size it's easy to carry a lot. And they are very tough.

https://www.easystowfenders.com/fd_hd.html

I can also attest to the great customer service. I managed to chafe one of my fenders after foolishly leaving it snugged very tight against a broken concrete wall. After a few days I noticed the fender had chafed through. I contacted EasyStow, and then told me how to repair it, and sent me all the material for free.
Old 13-10-2020, 10:44   #17

Boat: Nordic 44

Have some weights that you can tie to the bottom end of the fender. I use soup cans filled with lead with a stainless eye set in the lead, when cooled peal off the can. In rough conditions with your boat pressed against the dock the fenders can bounce out. A few pounds of lead holding them down prevents this.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 11:56   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have a number of the common long fenders with eyes at each end. In addition, and critically for locking, I also have two large spherical fenders. I will put several of the common fenders in the middle of a side, and then a spherical one fore and aft. This creates an approximately straight line along the outside of the fenders and reduces the tendency to yaw in turbulence. Since I have a bowsprit a yaw can put the 'sprit into the side of the lock so I am especially careful. I also tie up like this in my slip which again limits yawing.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 16:19   #19

My main problem with fenders has been stowage, but there are other issues.
We use those SS wire line clips which allows instant adjustment for a hanging fender. Available from all chandlers. Dirt cheap. The rope passes over the handrail and the rope is then clipped. It can slide along if needed.
Another issue has been aired here before and it relates to covers over the fenders. We get old T shirts from the local thrift "Op" shop. They stop smudging on the hull.
A third issue with fenders is to ensure your boat's name is painted on them so that when someone picks it up floating around the marina then you have a better chance of a return.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 17:13   #20

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Six good sized through hole, one end tie, two 24” balls. Two oak fender boards.

The balls are great at the bow and stern where the hull curves under. They don’t pop out.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 18:11   #21

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
A Fender Stratocaster...
Already got one of those (and I love it). It's not with me onboard, though. Just brought the Yamaha acoustic. Left the Strat, the Les Paul and the Gretsch hollowbody with a friend.
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 18:17   #22

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I like having one or two large, inflatable fenders, like these. Easy to store and long enough to deploy when you get pinned on a roigh dock or rafted to a large, ugly fish boat.
Oh, that looks interesting. I think that's what Bob423 recommends. Where'd ya get that (the big, long, inflatable thing)??
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 21:00   #23

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedKite View Post
I'm interested to hear what basket of fenders you all carry?

We've got a new-ish, 37'/13'/6'-4" sloop that displaces roughly 15,000lb dry. We usually carry 6 "standard" fenders (to deploy vertically), 1 with the hole-through-the middle (to deploy horizontally), and one 17" ball.

We're sailing Annapolis to Florida in Nov/Dec, taking the ICW most of the way.

Any specialty fenders we should add to the standard complement?
We have 3 standard fenders each side hung vertically. A pair or fenders horizontally either side just back from the bow, and another pair just forward of the stern.

There are a pair strung diagonally at the stern, and a stern fender mid-stern.
We also have a pair of fender boards stowed in the foc'sle (yet to need, but they're there), and a 'Fen-Step' fender as a roving fender if required.

We are thinking of investing in a decent sized pair of inflatable fenders to use if we get stuck at a dock in a blow with a neighbouring boat trying to take us out.

Most fenders have Fendress double-layer fender socks on them to protect the sides. Apart from the extra thickness, when they are tired and faded, we just reverse them for a new lease of life.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 23:54   #24

33’ and I carry 4 standard ones

I also dock SLOW, stay ahead of the boat, and am young and fast on my feet.

Hindsight, I wouldn’t need to be as fast if I made a cheap fender board.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 04:32   #25

Boat: Beneteau 343

I think your inventory is fine. I'd add a fender board or two. I acquired but have never used a huge 18" x 42" inflatable fender. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3105765#

It stows very well. One of these days perhaps.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:39   #26

Boat: Outbound 44

https://www.easystowfenders.com/
Quote:
Oh, that looks interesting. I think that's what Bob423 recommends. Where'd ya get that (the big, long, inflatable thing)??
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 20:27   #27

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

6 properly sized for your boat... I have 8... until I see one floating by that I can’t find the owner of... then I’ll have 9...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 07:20   #28

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30

I use an inflatable dinghy beach roller. Very rugged, about 5 ft long so it can be used horizontally along the side of my boat, collapses down to require amazingly little storage space.
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 07:29   #29

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30

I use an inflatable Aere dinghy beach roller. Very rugged, 5ft long so it can be used horizontally and without fender boards along the side of the boat, collapses and folds so it takes up almost no space.
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 07:46   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
I'm interested to hear what basket of fenders you all carry?

Any specialty fenders we should add to the standard complement?
3 long Megafenders that we hang vertically. https://www.megafend.com/store/pc/home.asp They are inflatable, so weigh very little and deflate to store in a small space. They can make them in whatever size you want. Welded seams. We've had them 8+ years no with no failures, sailed across the Pacific and all over NZ & Australia with no issues with them at all. They are used by many of the megayachts, so you know they have to be strong. We had previously purchased the other well known brand of inflatable fenders and they failed within a year.

Plus 2 regular smaller fenders for those items when you don't have time to inflate the Megafenders.

Tags
fender