Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 18:33   #46

Re: Communicating On Deck From Bow To Stern

I think it must have to do with docking style too. I'm not really clear why there are people on the bow when docking.

My boatand most boats I know of have there controlly bits at the stern, rudder and propeller and what not. It should be easier to drive your stern to the dock so your partners best location during the docking process- would normally be within arms reach of the wheel- since that's where they'll be stepping off. Even on a 60 ft boat, they wouldn't likely be much more then 20' or so from the helmsperson.

Where I'm going with this is that the communication issue may not be solved with radios or hand signals because you're trying to control a part of your boat you have very poor control over, it's not a communication issue at all- it's unconventional boat handling techniques.

I'm not questioning portable radios on the boat- I have portables on board, but they're more for in the dinghy, laundry room at the marina- I could see moorings with a larger boat, up the mast makes sense for a tall rig, my mast height is only about 57' though.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 18:43   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Unless you have a bow thruster, wind is in control of that bow, need someone up there to keep the bow off the pilings as your coming in.
As far as weighing anchor, until I get the windlass installed, it's a pure manual exersize, really helps if she can drive the boat up to the anchor as opposed to me hauling 25,000 lbs of boat in a strong wind to the anchor, and you can't see the line from the cockpit.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 18:56   #48

No- no thruster. I'm having trouble picturing the dock. My last several docks have been slip style. Finger dock Teed off to a runway, boat on either side of the finger, another boat sharing your slip. The vast majority of docks- at least in north America are of the general design. Either that or you're parallel parking on a wall, between two other boats.

In either of those situations you want to land your stern or if you're slick- the flat edge about a third of the way ahead from the stern first. The bow shouldn't hit any pilings if you land the back of the boat first. Just your two or so stern fenders, and maybe a midship fender.

It's the exact absence of a bow thruster that should be a contraindication for landing anything forward of midships.

Mediterranean mooring is nicest stern too. I guess one exception is if you wanted to tie up to a tree or something and you needed to go in bow first due to water depth.

I always like to use captain Ron to illustrate good technique, because nearly everyone has seen it. When he lands at the fancy margarita bar- the technique is perfect. As you recall- if you've seen the movie, he enters the busy marina, the dock clearly starts out in front of him- but he lands stern first so he's able to step off in style and order a cocktail. It just works better like that.

So I'm saying if people are arguing with one another during docking and communication gets all messed up, maybe communication isn't the issue, maybe experimenting with a different boat handling technique would be more effective than changing your communication style.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:45   #49

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think it must have to do with docking style too. I'm not really clear why there are people on the bow when docking.

My boatand most boats I know of have there controlly bits at the stern, rudder and propeller and what not. It should be easier to drive your stern to the dock so your partners best location during the docking process- would normally be within arms reach of the wheel- since that's where they'll be stepping off.

Our bow crew deploys bow and forward spring lines.

Step off?

-Chris
Old 08-03-2015, 07:00   #50

Boat: Valiant 40

I agree to hand signals. In my brief experience with marriage savers they were, as most have reported, more hindrance than help.

No one has mentioned taking a minute beforehand to map out a prospective plan. Often that's just "let's do the usual" but there are times when analyzing the situation, communicating about it, and planning "if this then that" helps tremendously. This is particularly true if you have someone at the other end of the boat that you don't have long experience with.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
............... Take a stand for sanity and get the smaller person at the helm! Well, unless you have such a large boat that there is no agility or strength that the boat responds to!
Sometimes that smaller person is not so adept at running the boat. Each couple (or crew) has to make the best use of what they have.

As for the OP, he/she didn't ask if they should be using headsets, the request was for a recommendation of which ones worked the best. A few people actually made suggestions based on their experience. For the OP, I suggest checking those out. If there's a local vendor, actually trying them out in the store could be a big help. And you might want to attach a safety cord so if they fall off your head they don't get lost overboard.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:37   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
In reading the responses I wonder if there is a difference between who's in charge? When we are anchoring, mooring, or just manoeuvring in close quarters the deck person is in charge. The foredeck person can see what's going on, and communicates that with clear and simple hand signals to the helms person. The helm is responsible for depth, and maintaining reasonable speed. The foredeck person controls everything else.

For docking, the helms person is mostly in charge on our boat. The deck person is ready to manage the lines, and gives feedback as to direction and drift, but our helm is in better position to sense momentum, speed and planning.
Very true. The reason for a bow person is because you can't see as well from the helm.

We also use hand signals.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:38   #53

Quote:
No- no thruster. I'm having trouble picturing the dock. My last several docks have been slip style. Finger dock Teed off to a runway, boat on either side of the finger, another boat sharing your slip. The vast majority of docks- at least in north America are of the general design. Either that or you're parallel parking on a wall, between two other boats.

In either of those situations you want to land your stern or if you're slick- the flat edge about a third of the way ahead from the stern first. The bow shouldn't hit any pilings if you land the back of the boat first. Just your two or so stern fenders, and maybe a midship fender.

It's the exact absence of a bow thruster that should be a contraindication for landing anything forward of midships.

Mediterranean mooring is nicest stern too. I guess one exception is if you wanted to tie up to a tree or something and you needed to go in bow first due to water depth.

I always like to use captain Ron to illustrate good technique, because nearly everyone has seen it. When he lands at the fancy margarita bar- the technique is perfect. As you recall- if you've seen the movie, he enters the busy marina, the dock clearly starts out in front of him- but he lands stern first so he's able to step off in style and order a cocktail. It just works better like that.

So I'm saying if people are arguing with one another during docking and communication gets all messed up, maybe communication isn't the issue, maybe experimenting with a different boat handling technique would be more effective than changing your communication style.

We can back in or bow in just as easily but we don't like having to close up the back windows (at night people walking down the main dock see us lit up in a fishbowl), so we usually bow in.

The person on the bow can see things more precisely than the helmsman.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Unless you have a bow thruster, wind is in control of that bow, need someone up there to keep the bow off the pilings as your coming in.
As far as weighing anchor, until I get the windlass installed, it's a pure manual exersize, really helps if she can drive the boat up to the anchor as opposed to me hauling 25,000 lbs of boat in a strong wind to the anchor, and you can't see the line from the cockpit.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here but if you are suggesting fending off a boat with arms or legs, that's generally a pretty bad idea unless it's a really small boat. I would rather damage the boat than break or lose a limb.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:20   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Our bow crew deploys bow and forward spring lines.

Step off?

-Chris
Stepping off, like you're driving, so your wife steps off onto the dock with you're spring line. Or the other way around. Unless you have something that can be easily lassoed I guess. How do you get the lines attached to the dock when their's just the two of you (or one for that matter).

Docking style aside. I'm partial to hand held VHF. I keep mine clipped to my life jacket when I'm single handing or in rough weather in case I fall in the water, so- dual purpose, safety and you can use them for docking. I've used voice activated hands-free headsets for work and they irritate me. You can always hear the mouth breather on your crew.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:51   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here but if you are suggesting fending off a boat with arms or legs, that's generally a pretty bad idea unless it's a really small boat. I would rather damage the boat than break or lose a limb.
If you are talking a 60' boat or in wild conditions, fending off by hand can be an issue.

If it's a 30-40' boat and the bow is off just a bit, a little shove with a boat hook is often just the ticket rather than backing completely out to go around for another pass.

Context means everything.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03   #57

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Stepping off, like you're driving, so your wife steps off onto the dock with you're spring line. Or the other way around. Unless you have something that can be easily lassoed I guess. How do you get the lines attached to the dock when their's just the two of you (or one for that matter).

Docking style aside. I'm partial to hand held VHF. I keep mine clipped to my life jacket when I'm single handing or in rough weather in case I fall in the water, so- dual purpose, safety and you can use them for docking. I've used voice activated hands-free headsets for work and they irritate me. You can always hear the mouth breather on your crew.

Not all docking are side to a dock. Here in the Baltic, many docking are just between two pilings and you either back in or go in forward. Trick is to get a line on the piling to windward as you come in.

If you come in bows to (many do this) then you need someone up front to drop the line over the piling as you go by and then step (jump) off the front of the boat as you come up to the dock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:40   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Not all docking are side to a dock. Here in the Baltic, many docking are just between two pilings and you either back in or go in forward. Trick is to get a line on the piling to windward as you come in.

If you come in bows to (many do this) then you need someone up front to drop the line over the piling as you go by and then step (jump) off the front of the boat as you come up to the dock
Yes, I mentioned Mediterranean style mooring in an earlier post.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:21   #59

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

Ah. We don't usually (almost never) get off the boat while docking until it's time to take stern lines ashore... and by then, we're already secure with bow line(s) and fore and aft spring lines.

I can usually maneuver the boat so crew can easily reach piles, no lassoing required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Good point. OTOH, we're seldom able to dock bow to -- unless there's a full length finger pier -- because there's no way to get off the boat from the bow; too high, rail, etc.

-Chris
Old 10-03-2015, 05:41   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I can usually maneuver the boat so crew can easily reach piles, no lassoing required.
I did that too until we moved to an area where floating docks with cleats and no piles are the norm.

Quote:
we're seldom able to dock bow to -- unless there's a full length finger pier -- because there's no way to get off the boat from the bow; too high, rail, etc.
Same here. Stern to unless the finger pier is longer than the boat or we're on a face dock.

Tags
deck