Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 07:42   #16

Re: By Canoe, alone, across the Atlantic - DONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If he chose to go without a Spot or AIS tracker then it is his, his partner's, and his sponsors', choice - not anybody else's. Think freedom.
b.
Impressive but, IMO it seems penny wise and pound foolish to go on a journey like this and not have carry a Spot with you. Call me a little skeptical but, I'd like to know more about what failed communications equiptment he relied on to maintain communications. Not saying he's a Donald Crowhurst but, without an independent cookie trail I'm thinking hmmm......
Old 28-03-2012, 07:49   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Impressive but, IMO it seems penny wise and pound foolish to go on a journey like this and not have carry a Spot with you. Call me a little skeptical but, I'd like to know more about what failed communications equiptment he relied on to maintain communications. Not saying he's a Donald Crowhurst but, without an independent cookie trail I'm thinking hmmm......

If you read the article or web site he says he has always traveled with SPOT before, but this time his vendor raised the price on him at the last minute and he couldn't afford one. So he chose to do without instead of calling it off. Must have been a very different trip knowing no one knew where he was-entirely alone out there in a canoe. People do the craziest things, you gotta love it. There was a guy who sailed a Drascombe Lugger (19' open sailboat) from Cali to Tahiti many years ago. He duct taped himself into his wetsuit and didn't take it off till he got there. Multiple capsizes and near sinkings. This was before the era of SPOT and GPS. He carried on west from Tahiti intending to circumnavigate and in a series of capsizes eventually the boat mostly sank to a semi-submerged state and he rode the wreck until he washed ashore- I believe in the Solomons. There are some really bold people out there!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:11   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
So Columbus was an idiot too?

I believe he carried a sat phone that got wet. But truly no need to guess - if you are interested, just drop him an email and ask. Or else read on his web site - probably there is some sort of equipment info there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:21   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Hannes Lindemann crossed the Atlantic first in a dug out canoe and later in a folding kayak in the 1950s.

Those crazy ocean rowing society folks sponsor a rowing race across the Atlantic every year.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:27   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Wow! That's just crazy.

Not because it doesn't fit my idea of a "bluewater boat," but because I can't even begin to imagine how uncomfortable it must have been. I don't ever want to spend a night on a boat that I can't at least stretch out in!
Trained for 3 months, in a bath tub, on the San Andreas fault.
Old 28-03-2012, 19:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
So Columbus was an idiot too?

I believe he carried a sat phone that got wet. But truly no need to guess - if you are interested, just drop him an email and ask. Or else read on his web site - probably there is some sort of equipment info there.

b.
No I admire guys that cross oceans in small craft. Including Columbus . Just seems a little suspect that when you are going for a world record you don't carry a Spot unit (when you always had one before). Jeez it's $100 for the year. He could not find anyone to lend him the bucks for it? Or could not wait until he found a sponsor who would spring for it? What was the hurry? He's canoeing across the Atlantic for Petes sake! Also I calculate around 3200 nm from Lagos to Antigua for the trip. In 76 days that's 42 nautical miles per day using a single paddle in a canoe? I'm not including the lay days he had in the Azores in that calculation. Something just does not smell right IMO. Or maybe I'm just jealous because fifty miles seems like a long haul for me even when I'm under sail with a good wind and a cold beer.
Old 28-03-2012, 19:38   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I'm not impressed. Not that crossing the Atlantic in a "Canoe" isn't impressive, it's just unnecessary and I am not impressed by people trying to essentially show off.

There's really no purpose to it other than to say "I did it!" and it just seems like a waste to me for that.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 19:41   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I'm not impressed. Not that crossing the Atlantic in a "Canoe" isn't impressive, it's just unnecessary and I am not impressed by people trying to essentially show off.

There's really no purpose to it other than to say "I did it!" and it just seems like a waste to me for that.
Kind of like climbing Mt. Everest or running a marathon.
Old 28-03-2012, 19:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Kind of like climbing Mt. Everest or running a marathon.
Exactly

Every runner I know has some sort of issue related to running. Seems pointless to me to do something like that which is going to potentially have long lasting health consequences.

Old 28-03-2012, 19:50   #25

Quote:
Exactly

Every runner I know has some sort of issue related to running. Seems pointless to me to do something like that which is going to potentially have long lasting health consequences.

Definitely say on the couch or the armchair and off the mountains too ... much safer.
Old 28-03-2012, 19:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Definitely say on the couch or the armchair and off the mountains too ... much safer.
That wouldn't be any fun though, would it? I have no intention of climbing a mountain though.. Much rather ski it or snowmobile it in the winter.

Mountain climbing is fun though and I have no issue with that - but why Everest? It's just a huge risk.

Personally I enjoy life too much to take such big risks like that.
Old 28-03-2012, 20:02   #27

Quote:
That wouldn't be any fun though, would it? I have no intention of climbing a mountain though.. Much rather ski it or snowmobile it in the winter.

Mountain climbing is fun though and I have no issue with that - but why Everest? It's just a huge risk.

Personally I enjoy life too much to take such big risks like that.
Personally I enjoy running and have for many years having done marathons and ultra marathons and will continue doing them. I'm 62 with a BMI of 21 and my BP was 105/60 the other day. No joint issues at all, but I see lots of people with knee/hip replacement due to people being overweight and sedentary. I see more risk in not running or doing some sort of regular aerobic exercise.

Sorry for all this thread drift ... I support the guy and others like him that keep pushing the envelope.
Old 29-03-2012, 04:39   #28

Quote:

1) (...) a little suspect that when you are going for a world record you don't carry a Spot unit (when you always had one before) (...)

2) (...) Also I calculate around 3200 nm from Lagos to Antigua for the trip. In 76 days that's 42 nautical miles per day using a single paddle in a canoe? I'm not including the lay days he had in the Azores in that calculation.
1) You would have to ask the record authority (whatever it is for the rowing records) if and why the require a tracking system.

2) Yes. It was fast. But since people saw him departing and others saw him arriving, he probably just made it. 42 miles per day or whatever. BTW I am not sure he called at the Azores ... just have a look at the chart.

You may be right about all the publicity/records/world's first/world's best mumbo jumbo - there is a lot of it today. Just look at VOR website - how much of the "information" there is but marketing spam? No wonder others may opt to use similar publicity tricks - after all, they are all targeting the same niche of the public.

But, on the sailing level, a man with a paddle got into a small boat and rowed across an ocean. Full stop.

Hugs,
b.
Old 29-03-2012, 05:01   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
It always amazes me when people without any knowledge render authoritative opinions.

First 42 miles per day is slow. 50+ is good, but there is probably a huge fatigue factor in their that I am missing. Second single blade paddles, in the right hands, are just as good as doubles. Third SPOT devices are a POS if used on kayaks and canoes. The mean time between failure on an expedition type trip is 20-30 days.

For those who have issues with what this guy did, I recommend wrist supports as the only risk of injury you probably have is carpal tunnel!

Okay- I feel better now
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 07:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
(...) Second single blade paddles, in the right hands, are just as good as doubles.(...)
You know, perhaps not everybody seen Tahiti proas in action ... Not that being there is a must for any cruiser, but how did we live before National Geographic Channel ... ?

To that naysayer: Mate, a paddle in the right hands is a weapon! Do not try this at home ;-)

;-)
b.