Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 10:46   #1

Sailing N up west coast US Coastal or 100 NM out?

I am new to the forum and am still shopping for a boat between 36 ft to 38 ft.
It seems most of the best deals are around the San Francisco area, so the question is:
With only a month maybe a month and a half to get it to Seattle/Vancouver Island area how long would it take?
From what I have read so far on this topic the best route would be between the middle of June to August and about 100 NM out then tack NE?
The trucking option would depend on just how better the deal between San Francisco area and Seattle/Vancouver area.
jtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 20:31   #2

Re: Sailing N up west coast US Coastal or 100 NM out?

Much depends on your level of experience and your stamina. If you have done long offshore passages, just go for it. If you are new to the boat, i.e. just bought it, I would say do the coastal route. Your time of year and time frame seem reasonable, and much will depend on if the boat has radar or not. You can leave an anchorage early in the morning with almost o/o visibility with radar but with only GPS you know where you are but you dont know where anyone else is. The other advantage of the coastal route is if the crew or significant other burns out you can give them the Amtrack up wind method. It is much easier to get your mate to love sailing downwind than it is up wind. Only my opinion!____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 08:32   #3

Thanks Grant, I will keep looking around the Seattle/Vancouver area. I do have some sailing experience and friends with a lot more than me.
In my early career I worked on an oil tanker in which we traveled through the gulf of saint lawrence to Newfound land, Halifax, Boston and the great lakes. I have seen some nasty storms in the Gulf, but on a 500 ft steel tanker.
I got the sailing bug from my uncle sailing around the Halifax area, but my experience is limited.
But as I said I know some people with a lot more experience than I have.
As I continue to look there are still some good deals to be had in my area.
Jim
jtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 09:40   #4

There was another thread recently about going up the coast, and there were several books mentioned about the west coast from San Diego to Washington. Maybe someone else can chime in and give you the title of the thread to search._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing