Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2020, 03:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeaunneau
Beating into very strong winds (40+ knots)

So, myself and two friends recently got ourselves into an "interesting" situation, sailing on an absolutely clear (blue sky) day. We left for a trip over sea of about 80 nautical miles, during the trip the wind kept building until we finally ended up beating into very strong winds, while also in the middle of a perfect, wind-against tide situation. It was quite the experience and we were able to film everything rather well, because, besides the wind, there was not a cloud in the sky. Because of the gradual nature of how the whole day enfolded, I figured it would probably be very interesting and maybe also educational for many sailors, to see. So I made a film of the day. It's going live on Youtube this Saturday (link below). plus a little preview.

Hope it helps some of you, gain more insights into this type of sailing and what i can look and feel like .

(Just to be clear, we did not seek this weather out, the prediction was a steady 20 kn on this day)

https://youtu.be/VPSodApkJFw (Teaser)
https://youtu.be/RpPYVVRMO00 (full film, goes live at 11:00 est on Saturday.)
Old 30-09-2020, 04:58   #2

Boat: X442
Re: Beating into very strong winds (40+ knots)

But but but..... easterly wind & sailing (close hauled/beating) from IJmuiden to Vlieland means doing so on a flat sea. So just reduce sails a bit/a lot right? I would be inclined to come back with a video beating into 45 knots SW winds into the Atlantic after said winds have been blowing for a couple of days. Clear skies or not, that would be interesting to catch on film.
Old 30-09-2020, 04:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, Seawolf.

Hmmm. Not the situation you want to get into on a routine basis; next time it could be worse. Do you have any insight into the weather predictions in your area? It sounds from your description as if there was a front there somewhere that was not accounted for.

On the other hand, you came out of it with a big grin. Must feel good to know you and the boat can handle the rough stuff.
Old 30-09-2020, 07:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome to the forum, Seawolf.

Hmmm. Not the situation you want to get into on a routine basis; next time it could be worse. Do you have any insight into the weather predictions in your area? It sounds from your description as if there was a front there somewhere that was not accounted for.

On the other hand, you came out of it with a big grin. Must feel good to know you and the boat can handle the rough stuff.

Hehe, no there was no particular front. The conditions were quite interesting since we were actually inside of a big High. But the islands we were sailing past all have there acceleration zones around. As you will see in the film. The wind was very steady at first 25 to 30 knots. First gusts started to build up to over 40 and then, quite suddenly, everything shifted up into a whole new gear. The very shallow seas quickly became quite excited, waves about 1,5 to 2M maybe, but steep and very close together. You'll see in the film . I included some animated charts etc to explain the situation also in the film, so you'll see quite accurately what the situation was, and why we made the choice to keep heading straight into it
Old 30-09-2020, 09:35   #5

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I had a similar experience a few years ago sailing south of Long Island NY. Fun times!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaP..._as=subscriber
Old 30-09-2020, 09:40   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I can only access the teaser not the full video.

In the teaser you have the wrong jib. A plain genoa furled like this is a disaster. You want a blade jib when you beat into strong winds.

b.
Old 30-09-2020, 11:55   #7

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I can only access the teaser not the full video.

In the teaser you have the wrong jib. A plain genoa furled like this is a disaster. You want a blade jib when you beat into strong winds.

b.

I dunno, looks like a working jib, not a genoa on the furler to me. I see the sailmaker's insignia on the clew, so it's not furled at all yet the foot seems short enough. And I bet that small jib can be furled a bit and still keep some shape.

Looking forward to the video on Saturday.
Old 30-09-2020, 12:33   #8

Lost interest when I found out the video won't premiere until Saturday.

Going to presume this isn't a genuine question then, just an attempt to drive traffic to the Youtube video.

I'm out of here.
Old 30-09-2020, 12:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I dunno, looks like a working jib, not a genoa on the furler to me. I see the sailmaker's insignia on the clew, so it's not furled at all yet the foot seems short enough. And I bet that small jib can be furled a bit and still keep some shape.

Ok logo on the clew, but it is furled from the tack, so you see the logo any time. (smart marketing eh? - old sails had logos in the tack corner ....)

I think I see a black reef dot at the tack along the foot. Hence my guess on a reefed genoa sail. Also there seems to be quite some offset from the drum to the sail, again my guess maybe because it is furled in a bit.

But, OK, be it a working jib. It is still the wrong sail and in the wrong position. For upwind work in 45kts you want a blade set on an inner stay. Otherwise you are 'wasting your breath' (getting plenty of heel and not enough drive).

You are right that a well cut sail can be furled in quite a bit and still usable. Just that this one does not seem to be one of them. I think it is an all-rounder.

b.
Old 30-09-2020, 13:55   #10

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Lost interest when I found out the video won't premiere until Saturday.

Going to presume this isn't a genuine question then, just an attempt to drive traffic to the Youtube video.

I'm out of here.
What Mark just said.
Old 01-10-2020, 00:52   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post

That was a Genua, we only had a furling Genua, and a 140% one at that , but we furled it ofcourse. The thing is, that we (for reasons explained in the video) needed the speed to get somewhere before dark. So we might have reefed more in the end, but that would have killed our upwind speed too much, so, although we did reef both main an Genua (twice) and we actually did reef a third time, but that took away too much speed (since we were sailing maximum upwind) so we reverted back to second reefs, and trimmed everything in such a way, that the main was kept barely powered, just enough so it would push us back on course every-time the head-sail pushed us downwind a bit.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:52   #12

Boat: LAGOON 400

we have done it recently in 'lighter' 35 kn true returning south from lizard island. managed 3 kn VMG direct against wind, tacking angles 130. It was actually not bad although seas were short and nasty. my primary idea was not to stress the boat.

realized though i need smaller sail as second jib reef is not much good if this thing lasted days and days.

apparently there was current against us and my speedo was showing 1 kn more speed than GPS, so i am not sure what was going on. dont trust that speedo thing.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:09   #13

blade+diesel

blade+diesel

;-)
b.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:37   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Tough in a small boat. Looks like you had land to windward today keep the sea state down.

This is also not fun in a big boat. We are 58 feet, 40 tons, ketch. Our cruising ground is the eastern Caribbean. Wind is typically 15-25 true with surprise catabatics and Venturi blasts at the north and south ends of the islands. Seas between islands 6-8 feet on 6-8 seconds. There is always a setting current. Results is we are close hauled often. Our go-to rig is reefed main and staysail with diesel assist at low power and steep pitched prop. (Manual adjustment from the binnacle).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D2484F1-EEF9-4252-AE54-3DCACE939599.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	224454   Click image for larger version

Name:	94C6A265-87B0-4B96-A6C5-260468281AAD.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	224455  

Old 01-10-2020, 08:05   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have my doubts.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Closed Thread

Tags
knot, wind